1960 Skyliner "Puttin' On the Ritz"

62 ... captured forever on the Portrait in Brass album along with solos by Swan, Martin, Hazelwood and Simpson ... a classic recording is ever there was one ...

:-)

My favorite. I've worn out several. Just bought a new one In Rochester.

"You and the Night and the Music" ....Luv it!!!

Donnie

spelling

Edited by donbucs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite. I've worn out several. Just bought a new one In Rochester.

"You and the Night and the Music" ....Luv it!!!

Donnie

spelling

...just listened to it...and many more! Wow, it's never olde! I'm partial to '66 Legion Nats for all-time Sky, but, then, that record is responsible for part of my hearing loss so what do I know? Well, to answer, the absolute first time I saw Sky was at Dream in '75; as a West-Coaster called in to help Muchachos with their marching, I was privy to the sideline at Roosevelt Stadium. Wow, when 13 snares followed that huge bass drum through the gates and onto the field I almost went comatose...only thing saving my sanity was the camera I had and Moe Knox, who gave me a couple of rolls of 400ASA Black and White 'cause I was crying and all worked-up....what a performance! The Traffic Jam was unreal! I was a ball of goo, but luckily got some wonderful, if amateurish, shots.

Shoot, now I HAVE to find those pics!

cg

Portrait in Brass (in my opinion) was the best drum corps album ever recorded. I'm going way out on a limb here to say that of all the incredible solo work on that album, John Simpson's Rhapsody in Blue has stood up for 5 decades as the finest "bugle" playing ever. Ever. And that is with great respect for all the unbelievable talent that's come down the pike before and since.

the absolute first time I saw Sky was at Dream in '75; as a West-Coaster called in to help Muchachos with their marching

Senior vinyl of '75 Dream is the one I wore out. IIRC, Sky just brought back "Elk Parade" and knocked off the Cabs for the first time that season, setting up one of the tightest DCA finishs ever.

Bought it on CD and is in the pack we use when we drive long distances. Guess we're stuck in the 70s as we have Eagles, Doobies, Yes, Wings.... and 1975 Dream. :tongue:

Heh, also first full season I marched. :wub:

Portrait in Brass (in my opinion) was the best drum corps album ever recorded. I'm going way out on a limb here to say that of all the incredible solo work on that album, John Simpson's Rhapsody in Blue has stood up for 5 decades as the finest "bugle" playing ever. Ever. And that is with great respect for all the unbelievable talent that's come down the pike before and since.

"John Simpson":

The "Finest Bugle Playing EVER" is an understatement. :tongue: Incredible talent on a Getzen GD valve/slide bass baritone BUGLE.

Elphaba

"John Simpson":

The "Finest Bugle Playing EVER" is an understatement. :tongue: Incredible talent on a Getzen GD valve/slide bass baritone BUGLE.

Elphaba

Hy referred to him as the "perfect" horn player ...

Who was the guy from SAC? Baby John something???

Baby John Chalmus ... lives down South now ... still plays with Sac's Alumni in Wildwood at the Elks Convention in June.

Was John Simpson with the Bolling Field Air Force corps from Washington, DC? Have a long field recording of the corps from an unknown year. Don't have the CD handy but think Tommy Martin and John Simpson were named as the solists. Bari solo in that show is Master Sgt Truman Crawfords "Summertime" from "Porgy and Bess".

Would love to know the approx year of this show.

Yes John Simpson was with The Bolling Air Force Base Corp from Washington D.C. Side one of the recording you mentioned was recorded on Memorial Day, May 30th, in New Haven Connecticut. Side two was recorded on the afternoon of the same day in Milford Connecticut. Both were recorded during exhibitions of the USAF Drum & Bugle Corp. The three soloist were John Simpson on Summertime, Tommy Martin in I loves you Porgy and Tonight - Maria and a duet with Tommy Martin and Dave Fite in St. Louis Blues - Wabash Blues.

Edited by royal-air canada