1960 Skyliner "Puttin' On the Ritz"

Yes John Simpson was with The Bolling Air Force Base Corp from Washington D.C. Side one of the recording you mentioned was recorded on Memorial Day, May 30th, in New Haven Connecticut. Side two was recorded on the afternoon of the same day in Milford Connecticut. Both were recorded during exhibitions of the USAF Drum & Bugle Corp. The three soloist were John Simpson on Summertime, Tommy Martin in I loves you Porgy and Tonight - Maria and a duet with Tommy Martin and Dave Fite in St. Louis Blues - Wabash Blues.

Thanks, a certain corps show website (not where I got this) has 1962 as the year of both shows.

At least one recording (can't remember) has the PA announcer doing his bit before and during the show (where I heard the names). The fun part is before the show starts you can hear someone telling people "Back behind the ropes.... we're recording".... :tongue:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: the original topic

That was Hy Dreitzer, on his customized FH mouthpiece. Pepe used a similar one later. That's why they sound alike.

As for John Simpson, he's an icon, and if you like him you'll love Billy Hightower (St. Catherine's, Sunrisers). They were a kind of mutual admiration society back in the day. I saw them play Vivaldi's Concerto for 2 Trumpets as a duet at an I&E show around 1962. Unreal. Getzen Deluxe slip-slide baritones pushed to the limit.

Add Bobby Gaff to that club for the 3 greatest baritones who ever breathed into a bugle, but that's just my opinion. In the next generation I'd suggest Ray Fallon, Steve Beard, Doug Kenyon and Dan Farrell as standard setters.

That was Hy Dreitzer, on his customized FH mouthpiece. Pepe used a similar one later. That's why they sound alike.

As for John Simpson, he's an icon, and if you like him you'll love Billy Hightower (St. Catherine's, Sunrisers). They were a kind of mutual admiration society back in the day. I saw them play Vivaldi's Concerto for 2 Trumpets as a duet at an I&E show around 1962. Unreal. Getzen Deluxe slip-slide baritones pushed to the limit.

Add Bobby Gaff to that club for the 3 greatest baritones who ever breathed into a bugle, but that's just my opinion. In the next generation I'd suggest Ray Fallon, Steve Beard, Doug Kenyon and Dan Farrell as standard setters.

"Next Generation":

Add the GREAT solo baritone, David Lang to that number. He STAYED with Colts through ageout when he could have named his ticket to any other DCI "World Beater" then in existance. So too could have soprano soloist "Harpo" Blum, another Colt's standout.

Elphaba

The three Frank mentions are indeed the standard bearers for baritone players ... I say "are" an not "were" for all three are still alive and all can still play ... and when I say play - I mean play ... beyond the Holy Three though, there were many fine baritones who flooded the I&E circuit of the 60's ... Donovan, Baby John, the Richmond brothers, Bruen, Fallon, Magnifico, Vesche, Ariola and more ... guys from big corps battling guys from little corps ... all seemed equalized on the I&E stage ... and when that breakout player had a breakout performance, the entire circuit of these vagabond players knew about it instantly ... and that "little" corps player walked with a "big" corps swagger for the rest of the year ...

Andy "ah yes ... the memories do linger" Lisko

• 3 weeks later...

I was there too, having the pleasure and honor of playing along side of some of the "greats." I vividly remember we played over and over until we played to Hy's expectation and satisfaction. He was really pushing us that day! No doubt that is why the album is one of the greatest and why Harry's lip may have been "raw meat" when the session was over. This episode, along with the '62 Dream is one of my fondest memories. I'll never forget the vision of Hy jumping up and down on the sideline at the '62 Dream. I think we must have played to perfection that day too. He was so happy! Those were the days...

• 3 weeks later...

I know Jack Meehan played the "Ritz" solo but not sure of the year he did . I thinh Sky palyed it more thsn once.

The three Frank mentions are indeed the standard bearers for baritone players ... I say "are" an not "were" for all three are still alive and all can still play ... and when I say play - I mean play ... beyond the Holy Three though, there were many fine baritones who flooded the I&E circuit of the 60's ... Donovan, Baby John, the Richmond brothers, Bruen, Fallon, Magnifico, Vesche, Ariola and more ... guys from big corps battling guys from little corps ... all seemed equalized on the I&E stage ... and when that breakout player had a breakout performance, the entire circuit of these vagabond players knew about it instantly ... and that "little" corps player walked with a "big" corps swagger for the rest of the year ...

Andy "ah yes ... the memories do linger" Lisko

Andy,

I'm glad you added Rueben (sp?)

I thought of him right away when I saw that list of bari giants.

Donnie