A really cool piece

I know, I know, another one of THESE threads. But give it a chance maybe?

I was sitting in my music history class talking about Notker Balbulus, and for those who don't know who he is (and I don't expect you too) he wrote a famous sequence called Dies irae (Day of Wrath), which really has nothing to do with this topic, but led to us listening to other pieces written by later composers.

Anyway...

Verdi wrote an awesome piece, also titled Dies irae which I think would be perfect on a football field, at least the first movement anyway. And even more, it's perfect for Phantom. I already know I'm not the only person who thinks so because my professor (a Bluecoats alumni) agrees with me. It has that in-your-face attitude that I find similar to the emotion of Sparticus. I mean, the piece is about dying, so you know they'd do something incredible with it. While you're at it, listen to the second movement, especially if you're a trumpet player like myself. It's sick.

Just something for you guys to check out if you have some time. You can probably find it on Google, or another website I know of that allows you to share files or something like that.

Memphis Sound did it last year as their closer, worth a checkout on that one video site :cool:

Edited by Huntington Mallets

I thought the "Dies Irae" theme was flirted with in BD's show this year. Just listen to....well I dont know the title but the first 3 or 4 notes of the tune are one of the melodies. Maybe its just me.

I ####### hate Music History more than you can ever imagine.

(Test tomorrow. Trying to study. Brain is exploding. 1% chance of passing...)

To be on topic:

2008 Cadets used that during the crazy ending of the show. I found it odd considering it is usually considered the "theme of death", or just in a negative connotation. Then again, the show was changed last minute(for the better).

This makes me think of Southwind's 2000 show closer, "Totentanz". Awesome stuff.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

The Dies Irae chant theme is one of the most used musical phrases around. Berlioz' Symphony Fantastique (5th movement) is one of the most famous and oft-quoted uses. Sondheim's Sweeney Todd uses it as the main melodic material in "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" (or the instrumental opening credits in the movie) and it is all over the musical (consider the subject matter). That's what's in BD's 2008 show--the Sweeney Todd opening statement is used many times (with some modification) in the opener. Another big Dies Irae quote is in The Cadets' show; in the closer, when the corps is doing those rapidly rotating small blocks while sliding left to right as seen from the stands (this is where someone fell bad at San Antonio, and never failed to make me nervous as hell). That also makes sense; Vesuvius is, after all, about a whole city being covered in superheated ash, literal hell on Earth. Though in the final version of the show it's after the big "happiness revelation"....

And yea, the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem is ######.

-Musicologist.

Also, just checked out corpreps, if you have fannetwork Colts did a SUPERB version of verdi's requiem in 1999

edit: it's also on youtube

Edited by Huntington Mallets

good selection. i can also see them playing tempered steele. that would be amazing if they would play it. thats just my opinion.

Verdi wrote an awesome piece, also titled Dies irae which I think would be perfect on a football field
Awww, isn't it cute when someone loses their "Verdi Requiem needs to be played by Drum Corps" virginity?

it would be even better with the woodwinds playing those fantasic 16ths.

Score:

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/0/00/Verdi-Dies_irae.pdf

Recording:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6526467428196847413

note how well you can hear the Piccolo over the ENTIRE orchestra, chorus and percussion.