Screamers

yea i know i know, this should probably be in the brass forum, but i thought i would get a better chance having a response here than there, plus i hear more world class screamers than in open class, loophole maybe?

i am a trumpet player and i obviously want to audition next year (check the sig), but i just cant scream like some others. i know thats not all trumpets about, but hey thats not really the point.

what do the screamers use in terms of mouth pieces? is it a super shallow mouthpiece designed for screaming, or is it your typical 3C mouthpiece and they just are just amazing at hitting those notes?

alright and to completely tie it into world class, what are your favorite screaming moments, of all time, this year, or your own?

and i know this is bound to pop up eventually, so i'll go ahead and say it now:

not ATB at finals this year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man,

my best advice to you is to get a mouthpiece that you can hit a high c(first c off of the staff) on and work on your upper register on there. There are "magic" lead mouth pieces but they do not allow you to have a great sound elsewhere within the range of the horn. If your not an outstanding lead player work on what you do well right now for your audition. Because after a summer of corps your chops will be much improved.

But yeah, get a good mouthpiece that works for you and work on that upper register, that way you can me a true lead player. Not someone with a lead mouthpiece who can not do the same without that mouthpiece.

Good luck on your audition and playing career.

Edited by leadsopranoman

Hey man,

my best advice to you is to get a mouthpiece that you can hit a high c(first c off of the staff) on and work on your upper register on there. There are "magic" lead mouth pieces but they do not allow you to have a great sound elsewhere within the range of the horn. If your not an outstanding lead player work on what you do well right now for your audition. Because after a summer of corps your chops will be much improved.

But yeah, get a good mouthpiece that works for you and work on that upper register, that way you can me a true lead player. Not someone with a lead mouthpiece who can not do the same without that mouthpiece.

Good luck on your audition and playing career.

1975 Madison Slaughter on Tenth Avenue That solo work was SICK.

i have no idea about screaming, but my favorite screaming moment was from BD's star wars waym-up from 99. removed reference to copyrighted material

yea thanks.

but its not really about me, i use a 3B right now and can get to high C most of the time. but i am more than content with playing 2nd and 3rd parts where ever i go. and for all the other things that you need to play trumpet, i can do those fairly well. but i could go for a summer of corps to help my chops. :tongue:

it is about what the guys that play incredibly high do to get there, or if their are just talented in the ways of super high notes.

Take one mouthpiece, add a drill....

it works. You'll sound like garbage, but really really high, loud garbage!

"You guys want to know the secret to playing high? And loud and in tune? Leads you'll want to hear this, so get close. Do you want to know the secret?

Play high every day."

-Rudy Arevalos

Couldn't have said it better. There's no magic piece either, its really just what your lips and the rest of your body get used to.

IMO, screaming is 25% musical 75% physical. Lots of air, strong diaphragm, fast air, proper embouchure. Back in my hay day (before corps might I add) I go toe to toe with Maynard on his "La Fiesta" F#. I attribute that to HS track workouts and playing just about every day. My lung cap was off the charts.

granted, i'm not a music major and i'm not a stellar tpt player, but I did make the lean line solely on my volume and range. Those were the good old days

As far as routines and such ask your private teacher about isometrics. Those have built up my range and the other leads at my school by three whole steps just over the summer. We all have solid F's. I'm up to a solid G now and do isometrics everyday. Some people don't like them because it will mess with your tone. You just have to counteract that with lots of lyrical studies and long tones.

I'm going to go ahead and say something on here that people might not want to say, might not want to hear, might not want to believe.

To a certain extent, for the super screamers, the mini-Maynards that you see throughout DCI history and elsewhere, YOU EITHER GOT IT OR YOU DON'T.

Can you improve the range you have? Sure. Can just about any trumpet player play lead? Yes, to an extent.

Can every person, regardless of natural ability in the high note area, turn themselves into Jon Faddis? No.

I compare it to running--some people can run really fast, some people can run really far, most people cannot do both. It's all good, though. My favorite players used to be the screamers, and now they tend to be guys like Chet Baker and Miles Davis.