Capital Regiment staff

FTNK

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Wardeska: Director of bands at Brunswick HS

We've competed against Brunswick a few times in my high school years. They're like 10 minutes away from our city too. Really nice music program. Really nice balanced sound. I thought they sounded better than us(my HS band) at a few competitions, though we ended up taking the music captions from them.

Their marching band shows are "really stereotypical BOA". Personally not my cup of tea in terms of shows, but he's part of the Brass Staff, so it sounds like a nice pickup to me.

I haven't heard any such announcement. Once again, the old rule about having to return to Div. II/III/Open after taking time off is no longer in effect since after the 02 season.

It used to be that II/III corps could move into quarterfinals competition if they made the top 5 of the two divisions together. In 02 a rule was instituted that required any corps in the top 5 that wanted to do that to declare Div. I; at that point it was up to the corps to make that call. That season, Magic, Capital Regiment and Mandarins all made the jump. After that season, they changed the rules so that the DCI BoD makes the decision of who gets to compete in Div. I, so the old rule requiring reentry to DCI competition to be at the lower-touring requirement level of Div. II/III was essentially rendered null and void. Even if it is still on the books, it has no purpose anymore.

Hate to ba a party-pooper, but what exactly is CR's current status with DCI? Have they been accepted for competition for the 2009 season; and in what division? Are there evaluations scheduled for this corps' financial and membership health (as well as administrative)?

It is only reasonable to be skeptical, since we have heard nothing from DCI concerning reacceptance into competition and touring. I would love to see the corps come back; but gosh, this looks like it is coming out of thin air. Frank, open, and comprehensive information with the scrutiny that it would entail would comfort a lot of us out here....and make it possible to recommend students to try it again.

Edited by prodigal bari

Hey Big Dog,

Since you seem to be pretty up on the rules and regs of DCI, could you explain to those of us who are not in the know what steps a corps has to go through to re-enter DCI competition? I'm curious what protocol is followed and what requirements are in place for a corps to compete at a DCI sanctioned event.