Lucas Oil Stadium's first concert

davam

Kenny Chesney and Keith Urban performed in the first concert at Lucas Oil Stadium Sunday in Indy. Reviewer notes that sound with the roof closed was terrible but much better with roof open.

Here's the review:

http://www.indy.com/posts/11556

While a country/rock concert is much different than a drum corps performance, I think this gives us an idea of what the venue may be like.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's the question. Would you rather have a rain delay, or bad acoustics because they shut the roof for finals night. I personally would rather have rain delay.

Agreed, though I'd rather have a closed roof and bad acoustics than a full cancellation and a resulting loss of thousands of dollars for DCI and the corps.

Hopefully the weather will just be perfect like it was this year and it'll be a non-issue. :)

I've expressed the fear before on DCP that the design of this stadium is going to give it a sound closer to a dome than an open air stadium, even with the roof open. Somebody else on DCP said, Oh don't worry, the open windows on the end will help a lot, but I just don't see that working out looking at photos and drawings. This review is not encouraging either. I'll go next year and hear it for myself, but that may be it for Lucas Oil for me. Molded seats and air conditioning are nice, but I'd rather have that clean drum corps sound.

Here's a question; given that corps have performed in the rain in the past for finals (see 93, and other years I'm sure) will the roof be closed for a minor drizzle? A light rain? A downpour? Or, for lightning related issues only??

Here's a question; given that corps have performed in the rain in the past for finals (see 93, and other years I'm sure) will the roof be closed for a minor drizzle? A light rain? A downpour? Or, for lightning related issues only??

As I posted previously, when NBC telecast the first regular season Colts game there a week ago Sunday, they did a feature on the new stadium and the retractable roof. NBC said that Lucas Oil's field does not have a drainage system, as an outdoor pro football artificial turf stadium would have. This means that the roof has to be closed if the rain is hard enough to get the field really wet. Otherwise, the field will flood and stay flooded until it can be squeegeed off and evaporate dry, which would take days in humid weather with no sun.

So I would say the roof doesn't have to close for a drizzle or even probably a brief light rain, if they're sure it will be nothing more, but it does have to close for any moderate plus rain, or any light rain that threatens on radar or in the forecast to get stronger. And in the summer, in unstable air conditions, thunderstorms that drop a lot of rain fast can pop right overhead in an area that was clear on the radar ten minutes ago. So if the air's unstable and they think there's a pretty good chance of heavy thunderstorms, they may even close the roof even though it seems sunny outside.

Edited by Peel Paint

I totally disagree with the positive review of the show. Opening the roof, did nothing for the sound. We sat in section 640 and we could not make out any of the singing, could hear the drums though. We left before Kenny Chesney had finished, since we could not hear his singing. We saw many others leaving the venue early, also. I was told by a vendor that the sound wasn't any better for the opening football game. We will not spend money to attend another concert at Lucas Oil Stadium

Not very promising.

Well at least DCI didn't sign a long term contract before trying the venue out first...