Definitely not Drum Corps...

So, this one time at an indoor drumline practice a friend asked me about why I leave once a month in the winter to Jacksonville, Alabama. He knew that I was in Spirit... but obviously did not know what it was because he then asked me, "So that Spirit thing you go to, is that like some sorta Christian cardio-workout or somethin'?"

...yeah.

Anyway, my question is, have any of YOU had odd/funny/interesting questions such as that about drum corps from those who are ignorant of it?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, this one time at an indoor drumline practice a friend asked me about why I leave once a month in the winter to Jacksonville, Alabama. He knew that I was in Spirit... but obviously did not know what it was because he then asked me, "So that Spirit thing you go to, is that like some sorta Christian cardio-workout or somethin'?"

...yeah.

Anyway, my question is, have any of YOU had odd/funny/interesting questions such as that about drum corps from those who are ignorant of it?

If I say I'm in drum & bugle corps, people think I do civil war reenactments. Seriously. They figure bugle = old time calling taps and battle cries. I have to explain how it's NOTHING like that lol!!

I think all of us shorten the activity name to Drum Corps because we know what it is but when I say it to Joe Schmo they ask "so you play drums or something?" And I have to amend my comment by adding "Bugle" to the title.

sadly I must resort to explaining that Drum Corps is like (I hate saying this) "high tech marching band" or "professional marching band" and then they ask "so do you get paid for that?"

It happens with a lot of other activities, especially jobs. "Oh you are in the army? Do you get to shoot off rockets and &*(#?"

I think all of us shorten the activity name to Drum Corps because we know what it is but when I say it to Joe Schmo they ask "so you play drums or something?" And I have to amend my comment by adding "Bugle" to the title.

sadly I must resort to explaining that Drum Corps is like (I hate saying this) "high tech marching band" or "professional marching band" and then they ask "so do you get paid for that?"

It happens with a lot of other activities, especially jobs. "Oh you are in the army? Do you get to shoot off rockets and &*(#?"

*sigh*...just like fencing....people still ask me if I've ever actually run someone through.

Through the years most popular question after explaining what it is - So did you sleep in hotels or something? :tongue:

My mother used to have a hard time remembering to say "bugle" when talking to people outside of the activity. She'd get strange looks when she'd say, "Both my sons are sopranos."

Edited by PCSoprano9702

Yeah.... and the old:

"I grew up in NY City."

"Cool! Do you know (so-and-so)?"

Only something like a 10 million-to-one shot that you would know that person. :tongue:

Fran

Not sure if this is totally on topic..... but in 1977 and '78 we (Sunrisers) rehearsed during the spring months at Floyd Bennett Field, an airfield near the Atlantic Ocean in Brooklyn.

It was ALWAYS chilly there, especially when the wind kicked up.

So we would get some strange looks from our neighbors in NJ when we would leave for rehearsal in late April carrying winter coats, hats and gloves....they'd ask us where we were going... "are you guys taking a late-season ski trip or something".... and we'd say, "no...just going to Brooklyn." :tongue:

Fran

I don't think it's so much about being ignorant. If people have never heard of drum corps, can you really expect them to know that it's a brass, percussion, and colorguard ensemble? I tell people it's like professional marching band so they have a much better idea in their head of what it is. (Oh no! She used the "marching band" word :P)