• Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Troopers

Who had the loudest hornline this year?

Now I can see that people will probably say Crown and all that, no duh, but I personally didn't find them louder than the Cadets or the Blue Devils (I was situated on the 40). Maybe because Crown didn't have a small brass form right in the front, but regardless I'll place my bet on the Blue Devils.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few things:

1) The blue devils simply don't have the low brass to produce the sound of other corps- that is their style, and that is what they will have to live with. When they play loud, it comes off not as 'loud' but 'piercing'. I love it, but that is a fact (by which I of course mean my opinion)

2) CC had 16 contras. 16. That's freakin ridiculous. What's more- they had 16 contras that could PLAY. play WELL. good work, CC.

3) Phantom was loud, but not as loud as CC. sorry phantom- I am a phan, but crown was louder.

Crown was loud, of course. I would have been disappointed if they weren't loud, because of sheer numbers. didn't they have something like and 82 or 86 person hornline? And with 16 tubas, its easy to have a great, loud low brass sound.

I was most impressed with Phantom's playing, they were really loud as well. I really did not hear as many problems with tuning at louder volumes with them this year, which is one reason, I think, why I truly enjoyed their performances this summer more than years past. Please, do this again :tongue:

p.s. my favorite hornline to listen to this year.

The only time i got to see BD's show in which they seemed REALLY loud was in San Antonio. Of course, that was a dome, and I was in the third row inside the 45s, so that certainly contributed. I only wish that the lower voices would have more presence throughout the show. That's really my only complaint with them. Overall, an awesome line.

I obviously never got to listen to the Bluecoats at a show, so I let others judge how loud we were.

I never got to see the Cadets from a crowd vantage point this year. I will say that we got to play America with them at one show, and I really enjoyed getting to hang out with them before they put their shakos on. It made me realize that no matter how much you may disagree with a director, the members are still people, who march on the same field as everyone else. I guess it opened my eyes to a lot of things. OH! I almost forgot that I got to hear an encore performance from them in Orlando, and Holy Name!! :smile: they were loud when they played that excerpt from Liquid.

The Cavaliers were also a lot louder this year than '05-'07 when I saw them live. Also the first show that I really got into from them since '04. I hope they put on a great production next summer. Can't wait!

Crown was loud, of course. I would have been disappointed if they weren't loud, because of sheer numbers. didn't they have something like and 82 or 86 person hornline? And with 16 tubas, its easy to have a great, loud low brass sound.

I was most impressed with Phantom's playing, they were really loud as well. I really did not hear as many problems with tuning at louder volumes with them this year, which is one reason, I think, why I truly enjoyed their performances this summer more than years past. Please, do this again :tongue:

p.s. my favorite hornline to listen to this year.

The only time i got to see BD's show in which they seemed REALLY loud was in San Antonio. Of course, that was a dome, and I was in the third row inside the 45s, so that certainly contributed. I only wish that the lower voices would have more presence throughout the show. That's really my only complaint with them. Overall, an awesome line.

I obviously never got to listen to the Bluecoats at a show, so I let others judge how loud we were.

I never got to see the Cadets from a crowd vantage point this year. I will say that we got to play America with them at one show, and I really enjoyed getting to hang out with them before they put their shakos on. It made me realize that no matter how much you may disagree with a director, the members are still people, who march on the same field as everyone else. I guess it opened my eyes to a lot of things. OH! I almost forgot that I got to hear an encore performance from them in Orlando, and Holy Name!! :smile: they were loud when they played that excerpt from Liquid.

The Cavaliers were also a lot louder this year than '05-'07 when I saw them live. Also the first show that I really got into from them since '04. I hope they put on a great production next summer. Can't wait!

i LOVED how Regiment really, really worked hard at getting the intonation away from being as crass as usual. i think this has to do with the quality of the trumpets they had this year. not as sharp as usual.

sadly they aged-out 45 people this year...mostly brass