• Madison Scouts
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Troopers

Gave my vote to the Bluecoats for the single loudest moment this year (very nice horn feature in the ballad)

For the loudest throughout the whole show, I'd have to either give it to Phantom or Crown

I agree. The Coats, IMHO had the best horn line and I loved their book and their ability to be loud when they needed to be. I'm old school and I don't think we ever had more than 36 horns on the field and everybody thought we had a very dynamic range. And that's what it comes down to for me. Crown of course (what? 80 or so horns. What!? 18 Contras!!!!) they are loud. So what?

Puppet

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. The Coats, IMHO had the best horn line and I loved their book and their ability to be loud when they needed to be. I'm old school and I don't think we ever had more than 36 horns on the field and everybody thought we had a very dynamic range. And that's what it comes down to for me. Crown of course (what? 80 or so horns. What!? 18 Contras!!!!) they are loud. So what?

Puppet

Believe me I totally agree about the ability of the Bluecoats hornline. Wonderful. But people forget that the poll asked a VERY simple question. VERY simple. I don't care who wins the poll but, people can't seem to stay on track with the original intent of the OP's thread. This happens in other threads also. It's like people are constitutionally incapable of keeping something simple. There are plenty of threads with wonderful in depth discussion and they were meant to be that way. Sometines though a thread is created in order to have some simple mindless fun. This is one of those. K.I.S.S. :tongue:

Believe me I totally agree about the ability of the Bluecoats hornline. Wonderful. But people forget that the poll asked a VERY simple question. VERY simple. I don't care who wins the poll but, people can't seem to stay on track with the original intent of the OP's thread. This happens in other threads also. It's like people are constitutionally incapable of keeping something simple. There are plenty of threads with wonderful in depth discussion and they were meant to be that way. Sometines though a thread is created in order to have some simple mindless fun. This is one of those. K.I.S.S. :tongue:

Mia culpa. Sure, you're right.

I voted with my brain and not my ears. Crown's got it, then.

Puppet

well of course they were loud.

80 horns

playing nothing but endings

never going behind the center X except during the ballad piece.

Who wouldn't be loud doing that.

I remember in 1999 when BD got louder as they marched back and away towards the back corner of the field.

Anyone can be loud in the front half of the field, but when you can get louder as you move away from the audience, that's a loud hornline.

Mia culpa. Sure, you're right.

I voted with my brain and not my ears. Crown's got it, then.

Puppet

Man I sure wish I would have been around to hear St. Rita's when you marched. I "discovered drum corps in 1976" But I would love to have been there in person during the 50's and 60's to hear and see all the corps then live. <sigh> such is life. LOL Yeah I'm old school too. My favorite Corps shows were Spirit's 1979 and 1980 shows. No wonder I love loud. LOL Anyway back to topic. See ya on the threads Puppet.

edit for punctuation

Edited by Perry S

If you responded with somebody other than Carolina Crown, you are in fact wrong. Its not an opinion, its a true statement. I was at numerous shows with both a sound pressure meter (essentially a volume reader) and a handheld digital recorder (for personal enjoyment only of course). I don't remember the exact numbers, but Crown maxed out the mics on my stereo recorder much easier than phantom did. I had to turn the gain down quite a bit to keep it from clipping.

None of this statement is meant to detract anything from phantom of course, they sounded fantastic. Crown was just louder

well of course they were loud.

80 horns

playing nothing but endings

never going behind the center X except during the ballad piece.

Who wouldn't be loud doing that.

I remember in 1999 when BD got louder as they marched back and away towards the back corner of the field.

Anyone can be loud in the front half of the field, but when you can get louder as you move away from the audience, that's a loud hornline.

It could also be seen as a design flaw, but hey, to each his own!

It could also be seen as a design flaw, but hey, to each his own!

Back in the day (late 60s early 70s) many drill designers used the back stands as a sort of natural reverberation device. We did, The Cadets and Troopers and even the Cavaliers - it was really a clever way to beef up your sound by turning your backs to the audience pump up the volume a bit and have it come back at you at nearly twice the sound.

Puppet

If you responded with somebody other than Carolina Crown, you are in fact wrong. Its not an opinion, its a true statement. I was at numerous shows with both a sound pressure meter (essentially a volume reader) and a handheld digital recorder (for personal enjoyment only of course). I don't remember the exact numbers, but Crown maxed out the mics on my stereo recorder much easier than phantom did. I had to turn the gain down quite a bit to keep it from clipping.

None of this statement is meant to detract anything from phantom of course, they sounded fantastic. Crown was just louder

cool story dude.

It's pretty easy to have a loud resonant sound when the hornline is always up front, close together, and playing open major chords for impacts.