Drum Corps Midwest

DRB

Did a little digging and found some DCM/Dekalb pics.

Let's all remember the good ole days!

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

dcm_title.jpg

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - really. Thanks for asking. :tongue:

When the DCM membership voted to have DCI operate the tour on their behalf in 2003, DCI would have been the organization to sign the contract with NIU for the 2003 DeKalb event. When the time came to set up the 2004 season, NIU came to DCI first.

(And, before anyone asks about the 2003 vote - it was not just the Division I corps that voted to go with DCI in 2003. If it had been just the Division I corps - less Pioneer, of course - they would not have had the votes to pass the proposal.)

As for the hotels - a typical attendance ran about 4,000 (to as high as around 6,000) depending on the year. The lack of hotels puts a ceiling on that attendance. DeKalb is an iconic drum corps location much like Allentown. If Allentown can have a 2 night event that ranges from 8,000 (up to as much as 12,000) for each night, why can't DeKalb? IMHO, lack of hotels is a very real constraint on the upside potential growth.

As was already stated, please do not rewrite history.

Next thing you will try to convince me that a certain organization did not "suggest" to several Division 1 corps that cooperating with DCM even though they were in the area or reasonably close and had no DCI obligations that day might not be in said corps' best interests.

Word to the wise I PERSONALLY know of at least 2 that were given said "suggestion". Do not waste the bandwidth trying to tell me otherwise.

How does DeKalb handle hotel space on football weekends? Keep in mind that the ENTIRE staduim is used for football audiences.

How does DeKalb handle hotel space on football weekends? Keep in mind that the ENTIRE staduim is used for football audiences.

When I went to school there, the stands were largely filled with students. There weren't that many that drove in for games as NIU didn't have the cachet the Big Ten schools had. A HUGE percentage of students are from the Chicago area, so even alums didn't have to travel far enough to stay overnight. It always seemed to me that hotel rooms were rather sparse for the second largest university in the state. (NIU has more students than Illinois State in Normal. The Princeton Review currently lists ISU as having 17,703 undergrads and NIU 18.971.)

2 firsts for me Dekalb – I saw SCV do their first bottle dance and met Mr Boo for the first time ( I think it was your Jade year)

Please...Mr. Boo was my dad. I'm just Mike.

the answer would be the same as if any corps went to DCI and said we want to be paid more.

That answer...

GET BETTER.

getting better in open class still gets you the same thing. think of DCi as Wall Street...all about being number one, swallowing up the little guys.

looks like that has done us a lot of good now hasn't it?

getting better in open class still gets you the same thing. think of DCi as Wall Street...all about being number one, swallowing up the little guys.

looks like that has done us a lot of good now hasn't it?

See all you naysayers have no answers when I mention Blue Stars do you? They MADE a decision to GET BETTER. And guess what happened? It motivated people to think differently about their whole organization, they raised more money, hired better staff, recruited harder and in the end...no surprise to me, but maybe a surprise to some of you...THEY GOT BETTER.

This process CAN be repeated....people have to make the decision to try something different than the same old thing.

Well, (finger snap) that sure was easy. And to think, all I had to do was get better! I didn't have to raise dues to cover the cost of hiring staff to increase visibilty, thereby securing better endorsement deals, increasing the size of the membership to compensate for program flaws with sheer size, and overcoming already-existing judges' biases, or ANYTHING. We just had to "get better!"

I wonder if this approach will work for health care. Preznit Bush sez: "Don't get sick."

Blue Stars did it, why can't you? Boston went 25 years in DCI before they made finals for the first time in 1999; they've placed in the top ten ever since. Hell, even Crown spent ten years bouncing around the last few finals spots, but now many think they're in contention for a title.

The sense of entitlement expressed in this thread is astounding. I understand that the DeKalb contest was a fun show, but if DCM as a whole had so much to offer, how could DCI have ever caused it's end? Wouldn't there still be enough demand for it at this very moment for the circuit to begin again? If there is no market for DCM anymore, ask why that is. If the little guys couldn't survive any more without the big corps at their shows, then maybe the big corps were right to leave for more favorable conditions. Everyone likes mom and pop stores, sentimentally at least. But we prove what we value the most with where we throw our dollars. If there were truly as much support out there for DCM as some would like to think, then the dollars would be there and the circuit could still exist.

Blue Stars did it, why can't you? Boston went 25 years in DCI before they made finals for the first time in 1999; they've placed in the top ten ever since. Hell, even Crown spent ten years bouncing around the last few finals spots, but now many think they're in contention for a title.

The sense of entitlement expressed in this thread is astounding. I understand that the DeKalb contest was a fun show, but if DCM as a whole had so much to offer, how could DCI have ever caused it's end? Wouldn't there still be enough demand for it at this very moment for the circuit to begin again? If there is no market for DCM anymore, ask why that is. If the little guys couldn't survive any more without the big corps at their shows, then maybe the big corps were right to leave for more favorable conditions. Everyone likes mom and pop stores, sentimentally at least. But we prove what we value the most with where we throw our dollars. If there were truly as much support out there for DCM as some would like to think, then the dollars would be there and the circuit could still exist.

wow....and I thought I was the only one. Thanks Matt. DCI has never been a welfare state from my viewpoint. Want more reward? Get Better. Want later start times each night? Get Better. Want to appear in front of the big crowds? Yeah, you get the point.

DCI to the circuits is analogous to what the mafia was to the mom and pop business owners, back in the day. The mafia would muscle in on people's business and demand a cut of the action for "protection." DCI muscled on the circuits and in a way demanded a cut of the action for the "good or betterment" of the activity.

(that folks is just my humble opinion).

I just know this for a fact....every late July, I know...I am supposed to be in Dekalb, IL taking my kids to see a spectacular event. Normal, IL doesnt count for me, because I have no ties to that contest. Dekalb, was IT. DCM was a great organization.

This is an excellent analogy... just like the mafia DCI as we know it is doomed to no longer exist within the next 10 years or so. Trust me there is no way around it. It is inevitalbe. Drum Corps as we knew it has died and what is left is going to die as well. It's very sad. What will be left is about 7 or 8 corps trying to break into new performance type venues. Then Tom Brace can continue to just say oh well corps just didn't get better.

and many corps tried to do that and ended up dead.

if it were as easy as you make it sound, we'd have 50 world class corps wthin 10 points of each other at quarterfinals