Drum Corps Midwest

DRB

Blue Stars did it, why can't you? Boston went 25 years in DCI before they made finals for the first time in 1999; they've placed in the top ten ever since. Hell, even Crown spent ten years bouncing around the last few finals spots, but now many think they're in contention for a title.

Oh, yes! If those three corps can do it, anyone can. (/sarcasm)

The sense of entitlement expressed in this thread is astounding.

On that, we definitely agree....on the source of that mindset, not so much.

I understand that the DeKalb contest was a fun show, but if DCM as a whole had so much to offer, how could DCI have ever caused it's end?

Technically, it didn't. DCM continued for two years after the division I corps left, and then the remaining DCM corps, all of whom participated in other circuits, simply decided that those other circuits had grown their operations to the point where they presented a preferable option for administering the types of events DCM had been running.

If the little guys couldn't survive any more without the big corps at their shows, then maybe the big corps were right to leave for more favorable conditions.

But the big guys cannot survive without the little guys, either. The founders of DCI knew this....otherwise, they would have been content to run an insular circuit just for their 13 corps, and not bother with a championship preliminary round where outsiders could challenge for DCI membership. They knew that an exclusive club would never command the legitimacy of "world championship" competition that they wanted to use as their primary marketing draw.

But ever since DCI installed their elitist membership system (i.e. top X corps are members), the activity's population has been dropping, as if asymptotically approaching X. Compared to the past, there are so few non-member corps today that people are forgetting why we need other corps. Yet, it is these corps that provide the replacements when member corps fail. Honestly, if you can't see the danger of relying on this cannibalistic membership model for sustenance, then I can't help you.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See all you naysayers have no answers when I mention Blue Stars do you? They MADE a decision to GET BETTER. And guess what happened? It motivated people to think differently about their whole organization, they raised more money, hired better staff, recruited harder and in the end...no surprise to me, but maybe a surprise to some of you...THEY GOT BETTER.

How'd that work out for Phantom Legion and Tarheel Sun, the corps you were involved with?

And before you misread this as a cheap shot....I'm being serious here. Both of those corps raised more money; both improved their staffs; both recruited harder and brought more kids in as a result....and both climbed the competitive ladder to boot. But it must not be quite that simple, as both corps disbanded rather soon after doing all those things.

Don't you ever wonder why so very few corps exemplify your recipe for success? And doesn't that concern you at all?

Technically, it didn't. DCM continued for two years after the division I corps left, and then the remaining DCM corps, all of whom participated in other circuits, simply decided that those other circuits had grown their operations to the point where they presented a preferable option for administering the types of events DCM had been running.

I know this comment was regarding what happened to the DeKalb show and why DCM did not continue after two years. However, I think a similar statement can be used to describe the front end of this episode:

The Division I corps, all of whom participated in the DCI circuit, simply decided that the DCI circuit had grown its operations to the point where it presented a preferable option for administering the types of events that DCM had been running.

One could argue about the soundness of the decision that the Division I corps made but, IMO, the above sentence more acurately describes what happened in 2003/2004 than the numerous "DCI is evil" posts that are contained in this thread.

Edited by BOBSMYTH

How'd that work out for Phantom Legion and Tarheel Sun, the corps you were involved with?

And before you misread this as a cheap shot....I'm being serious here. Both of those corps raised more money; both improved their staffs; both recruited harder and brought more kids in as a result....and both climbed the competitive ladder to boot. But it must not be quite that simple, as both corps disbanded rather soon after doing all those things.

Don't you ever wonder why so very few corps exemplify your recipe for success? And doesn't that concern you at all?

I think that the MOST important part of the "Get Better" mantra is in the area of organizational strength. If you have a strong organization, the rest tends to follow.

In the case of Tarheal Sun, while they were starting to climb up the competative ladder, they were still in many ways a one man operation. And, when that one man decided he didn't want to do it anymore, they pretty much went away overnight.

and many corps tried to do that and ended up dead.

if it were as easy as you make it sound, we'd have 50 world class corps wthin 10 points of each other at quarterfinals

I never intended to make it sound easy. I only claim that its possible. Some on here seem to be implying that non-finalist corps are at the whim and mercy of the contending corps, with no hand to play in their own destiny.

Oh, yes! If those three corps can do it, anyone can. (/sarcasm)

Well... yeah! Why not??

Reasons why (perhaps):

- Current economic hardships aside, running any business is difficult.

- Running a non-profit business is often more difficult, particularly for amateurs, no matter how well-intentioned.

- Organizations sponsoring drum corps often SEEM to focus on competitive pursuits above sound business practices.

- Many non-profits are competing for the same charity dollars, some using professionals for grants and other funding streams.

- Many drum corps seem to rely on grass roots fund-raising, and do not have significant revenue streams beyond member fees.

- It's more expensive than ever to field a drum corps (which has NOTHING to do with amps/electronics).

- The liability risks involved in our litigious society make running a non profit an even greater challenge.

- Obtaining rehearsal space is a combination of luck, skill and a great Rolodex... and can vanish in a moment at the whim of a school administrator.

- The time commitment necessary to run an organization – and to participate in one – is a greater one than many wish to make.

- Success does not come overnight; for the organization or for its members

- Many young people want instant gratification, aka the bigger better deal

The argument goes on and on, and is really a function of the fact that many people think that the drum corps activity is the only activity having the kinds of problems that it has. It's simply not true. Because many of us are so close to it, however, we tend to think that we're on an island.

Think about starting a corps right now, whether DCI continues to exist or not.

Find a board, an instructional staff, a fund-raising committee, a support crew willing to cook, drive, sew, build, etc.; hire a charter bus company at a grand per bus per day; find some second-hand instruments and spend $50k outfitting a corps; manage people; attract, recruit, motivate and manage over-achieving kids with over-scheduled lives without much more than a promise of an unproven organization...

It's daunting.

Now think about the typical group of people who come together to start such a group.

The best of intentions are often the catalyst that gets things going... but funding the point where the rubber meets the road is often problematic.

It has been my observation that the special type of entrepreneurial mind that is needed to be successful in the business of drum corps is rare indeed, as those types of entrepreneurs are usually off doing something that is far more profitable.

Who can blame them?

- Organizations sponsoring drum corps often SEEM to focus on competitive pursuits above sound business practices.

Well, who can blame them? Seems like everyone else puts their focus there - people on these boards, fans in the stands (or in the parking lot, when the lower-placing corps are on the field)....and even DCI, who still to this day use competitive status as the fundamental determining factor in whether a corps is a member or not.

Given the amount of money riding on it, competitive pursuits may arguably be sound business practices in DCI.

- It's more expensive than ever to field a drum corps (which has NOTHING to do with amps/electronics).

Huh? I know the truth is inconvenient, but since electronics are not given to all drum corps free of charge, the rising expense of running a competitive drum corps program in DCI has something to do with electronics. How much or little is a topic of discussion....but it is a factor.

- The time commitment necessary to run an organization – and to participate in one – is a greater one than many wish to make.

I've been saying that myself for awhile now. The deficit in adult recruits, particularly in the administrative roles of greatest responsibility, is one of our biggest problems. DCI should be looking into options to make those positions more palatable....like decreasing the cost of competing, and condoning the regional operating model.

Huh? I know the truth is inconvenient, but since electronics are not given to all drum corps free of charge, the rising expense of running a competitive drum corps program in DCI has something to do with electronics. How much or little is a topic of discussion....but it is a factor.

Various cost factors affected drum corps LONG before electronics ever made it to the table...instruments, uniforms, food, fuel, possible rehersal site costs, etc...

This is an excellent analogy... just like the mafia DCI as we know it is doomed to no longer exist within the next 10 years or so. Trust me there is no way around it. It is inevitalbe. Drum Corps as we knew it has died and what is left is going to die as well. It's very sad. What will be left is about 7 or 8 corps trying to break into new performance type venues. Then Tom Brace can continue to just say oh well corps just didn't get better.

1. The mafia....far from dead.

2. DCI...far from dead.

3. Drum corps as "we knew it." That's just stupid grab your blankie whiny talk. Get out your VHJS tapes and watch all you want. You CAN'T force TODAY'S members to march that way. The ones who want to are already marching in DCA. It's not YOUR drum corps anymore and it's really time some of you faced it. Yeah, I know...you won't buy tickets anymore because you don't like the product. Noted. Hear it all before.

I can't wait to hear what the finals attendance totals are for Bloomington...considering all the issues in securing a stadium, flooding, turf problems. But, some of you will still find a way to whine. (I was thinking another word...5 letters..starts with a B)

4. Corps need to get better. I saw some Open Class, World Class and DCA corps over the course of the summer...both live and on video. Yes, some of these corps need to get better. Getting better is the key to getting endorsements (free stuff), better staff members and more potential members.

5. When is this current group of DCI member corps going to be reduced to 7-8? Sorry, I didn't get that memo. Oh, because the memo lives only in your head. Nice.

I shed not one tear for "your drum corps as you knew it." It is preserved in the only way it can be. DCA provides live examples and there is tape of the past performances for you to enjoy. I don't own anything older than 1991 myself. I see little reason to invest in anything much older. Take that back...I do have a recording of 88 Madison from Kansas City.

and many corps tried to do that and ended up dead.

if it were as easy as you make it sound, we'd have 50 world class corps wthin 10 points of each other at quarterfinals

no one EVER said it was going to be easy. Drum Corps has NEVER been easy. Not on the field...not off the field. Drum Corps is HARD.

Like the t-shirt I once saw...

DRUM CORPS IS HARD CORE