Instrument malfunction

Buick

Yeah, once my whole snare carrier was ripped off by another member, exposing my chest area. Good thing I had an ornamentation on the exposed body part. The entire audience in the stands were appalled, however.

Wait... that was Janet Jackson. Never mind. :laughing:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that Sandy or Neely?

Garry in Vegas

It was Leigh.

Was there a Sandy in our '86 French Horn line?

Lost my third valve slide on my mello on Semi's near the middle of the show. The first time all season that happened. I was quite ###### since we were unsure if we were going to be in Finals.

:laughing:

Seemed like when I marched judges liked to pick up dropped sticks and carry them for at least a couple of minutes before giving them back. - - :laughing:

I've had my 3rd valve stick at 3 or 4 different shows, usually I've been able to unscrew the cap a bit to get it to pop back up and just skip those notes the rest of the show. Only time I had a real issue with more then one of my valves was in Midland. I'm not sure what kind of minerals were in that water, don't want to know, but after washing my horn there it was all kinds of screwed up to point that I didn't know if it would be playable a couple days later in San Antonio. I ended up washing the horn twice in San Antonio and oiling the valves between washings and after washing to get it fully functional again.

I believe there was a stuck valve for a soloist 2002 Cadets in either quarters, semis, finals. Not sure tho. Don't have much detail either.

it also could have never happened....oh well

add me to the [large] list of people who have marched with a bad valve that refused to come back up after being pressed.

I think it's been mentioned on here before that one of the more recent Crossmen shows (00s) they are on the front sideline jamming and one of the players holds out his hand, and the judge puts a slide in it, haha. I have seen it, but don't remember the year, sorry.

I was a mellophone soloist, and was emptying the 'water' out of my horn a few bars before the solo began. The ####### water key got stuck and, after a few whacks, would not budge.

So, as I walked to the front to play my solo, I grabbed a soprano from my friend Larrie Dastrup and jammed my mouthpiece in. I made the entrance and played the solo. No one knew why I had grabbed a soprano until we came off the field.

Solo went well, and we won the California State Championship..

1984 at the Cheyenne, WY show I got my bell rung and lost it around the 40 yard line.

Seriously.

Our horn line (Blue Knights) that year was doing this thing in the drum solo where we rung these little tea bells. We carried the bells in little pouches attached to our jackets pulling them out only for like the 20 seconds we used them. At any rate, I had a mild bump and run with a baritone player on a pass through at the end of the opener that show. Neither of us was hurt but my bell was knocked out of the pouch and jangled helplessly to the ground. I faked bell ringing when we got to that part of the show. I was reunited with my bell after the show as a judge had scooped it up and handed it to a staff member as we trooped the stands.

Never had any third valve issues until spending a season in an all-age corps twenty years later!

Edited by notelvis