Instrument malfunction

Buick

Worst that ever happened to me was when we got new contras just before finals in 1985. The tuning slide would blow out, but fortunately not off. Jason still gives me crap for "moving around" just before drum solo. I was pushing the slide back in!

In 1982, our baritone soloist actually traded horns with a trombonium player to do his solo for Niner-Two. At prelims in Allentown, he dropped the horn on the exchange and then caught it on the bounce of the AstroTurf.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Atlanta show this year, in the BD show, when the Tenors take off their drums, one of them had a really hard time putting the drums back on afterwards. It took him probably a good minute or so to get them back on the harness. It must have sucked for him, but I'll admit, it was amusing to watch.

In 2007, we had an old set of Dynasty horns, and during the Finals horn warm-up, I snap my horn down and pop the weld of the support between the lead pipe and bell, creating a hole in the bell about 1/2" across, so it was held in place with white guard tape for finals.

What do you consider old? In 2005 Kiwanis Kavaliers had just bought new Dynasty's. Pulled them out of the box for the first time and had this issue. They were moments old.

In 1994 I had a chime fall off the rack during the quiet intro to the show.

In 2000 My rack fell apart after a show.

#### Pit equipment. It has only got to the point of being useable in the last 5 years

Only instrument problem on my part was doing parades in Pottsville, PA end of January/early Febuary. Didn't call 'em "Mid-Winter Carnival" for nuttin'. :tongue: Parade was scheduled for start of carnival week (Saturday) and in case of bad weather held the end of the carnival (next Saturday). One year it was postponed because of cold weather and it was even colder on the make up day (about 10-15 degrees). Only time the valves froze while playing. Only solution was to blow air thru the horn to thaw out the valves or get dizzy (whichever came first). By the end of the parade the swearing from the horn line was louder at times than the music. :lol: Follow up was next year when a sop ordered a whiskey before the parade and proceeded to oil the valve with it. Thought the bartender was going to throw him out on his ear. :lol: Some of the rotors on the piston/rotor Baris had a hinge made of plastic. After a few years they would break so one of the guys who worked in a sheet metal factory made new ones out of scrap metal. (oh the good olde daze).

1976 Hershy show, one of the Yankee Rebels (marching) bell player had both resonators come off at one end. Poor guy marched leaning backwards the rest of the show so the resonants wouldn't catch in the ground and trip him. :lol:

Nothing on the actual field in three years...but, before PRC's final show in 90, I snapped my chrome dynasty sop to a horns up in the warm up arc, and the whole dang horn fell apart. After being great all summer. Several of the bracings came loose and it became un-horn-like. It was unplayable and refused to be held in playing position. hilarious. I was like "A little help, please?"

So they ran and borrowed me a horn from Northern Aurora and I was able to play the show and the solo. :tongue: Freaked me out though.

In '96 the top bass from Madison busted one of his heads, I'm not sure when but I think it was early in the show. There are parts of the show where you can hear that a bass voice is missing, yet others like the bass solo a the beginning of Malaguena that sound excellent. So my hat is off to those guys. If you watch the video you can see the spilt head once or twice.

Only time the valves froze while playing. Only solution was to blow air thru the horn to thaw out the valves or get dizzy (whichever came first). By the end of the parade the swearing from the horn line was louder at times than the music. :tongue: Follow up was next year when a sop ordered a whiskey before the parade and proceeded to oil the valve with it. Thought the bartender was going to throw him out on his ear. :lol:

Thanks for the first laugh of the morning.

Thanks for the first laugh of the morning.

No problem... Actually the funniest thing was seeing the bartenders face. He set the glass down, took the sop players money then turned his back to get the change. When he turned back around there was our guy sticking his finger in the shot glass with the horn in his other hand. Then he uses the whiskied up finger to "paint" the valve while muttering "Ain't gonna ####### freeze up THS year.."

Flippin' bartenders face dropped and he just froze in place for a couple of seconds. He was probably thinking "All the ####### psychos come out for this parade". :lol:

Now I'm trying to remember why I was standing near the bar while still a teenager. :lol:

Man 30+ years ago and still can picture it in my mind.... Now where did I leave my keys? :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

At the Atlanta show this year, in the BD show, when the Tenors take off their drums, one of them had a really hard time putting the drums back on afterwards. It took him probably a good minute or so to get them back on the harness. It must have sucked for him, but I'll admit, it was amusing to watch.

I remember that.. i couldn't imagine what he was going through. The focus was still on them... it had to suck, i remember applauding once he got it back on. I chuckled though.

To CorpsLife, by old I mean our set wasprobably five years or so old. When the A corps picked up a sponsorship from Yamaha, the Cadets corps got the old Dynastys from them. Terrible instruments, so after all of the euphs breaking, we got a newer set of Yamaha horns this year, and didn't have much problems at all.

In retrospect to the Yamahas, after breaking the little alignment guard in my second valve this season, I found out that a Yamaha baritone valve will fit in a euph, and move beautifully, but it won't work the other way around.