1987 Santa Clara

Last night I was enjoying different shows on the Fan Network. One of the shows I was enjoying was the Russian Themed 1987 SCV show. I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me? What happened at the very end of the show that raised the vocal response of the crowd? The guard member that appeared after the shroud was raised on the prop that was wheeled out brought one loud response :worthy: but as you continue watching near the end the video showed a side view of the corps and I can see them pulling down the shroud over the framework again. Did another guard member appear or did something else happen?

Thanks for any helpful response

Ken Roe

Fulton Gauchos 1977

2009 Empire Statesmen Hopeful

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw them at US Open that year...very cool show, except the uni's were NOT SCV.

Last night I was enjoying different shows on the Fan Network. One of the shows I was enjoying was the Russian Themed 1987 SCV show. I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me? What happened at the very end of the show that raised the vocal response of the crowd? The guard member that appeared after the shroud was raised on the prop that was wheeled out brought one loud response :worthy: but as you continue watching near the end the video showed a side view of the corps and I can see them pulling down the shroud over the framework again. Did another guard member appear or did something else happen?

Ken Roe

Fulton Gauchos 1977

Ken Roe

Fulton Gauchos 1977

Yep....it was a 2nd guard person (blasted camera choices).

Where the hell did he or she fit !! They had to be the skinniest members of the guard. Now I'm trying to keep with the theme of the show ...... which member was the second person and why would he or she have to "re-appear"? Very interesting show.

Ken Roe

Fulton Gauchos 1977

Hopeful Empire Statesmen 2009

Saw them at US Open that year...very cool show, except the uni's were NOT SCV.

I was there at WGI when Gail told some of the recent ageouts about taking "the hat" off of the corps, as the judges did not think we looked Russian enough. It was a misty eyed moment that only sunk in when I realized that the most important thing on that uniform, was the feathers up, just before we entered the field. They actually carried large boxes that allowed them to change back into "the hat" before retreat.

And yes, the guard girls were mostly all little ballet type figures and VERY athletic. :worthy:

Where the hell did he or she fit !! They had to be the skinniest members of the guard.

You'd have to ask Jeff Pearson's wife....she WAS Girl #2.

The platform probably had a space under the back for the 2nd person....one that could not be seen from the stands due to the view angle.

The platform probably had a space under the back for the 2nd person....one that could not be seen from the stands due to the view angle.

MMAAGGIICC.

I always thought it interesting that they started that show with a church service and ended it with a wedding. I don't suppose there was any overarching spiritual theme afoot in that show, but the symmetry of it always struck me as kind of odd.

and Kathy Magee/Pearson is still a tiny little thing!

All I remember was that SCV burnt the place down that night and incredibly the Cadets incinerated the ashes.

All I remember was that SCV burnt the place down that night and incredibly the Cadets incinerated the ashes.

It was a remarkable night of guessing up to the end. I was sitting right in front of Dr. Bernard Baggs, Sr., and I turned and asked him between the two corps if he'd ever witnessed a Finals where the top two were each so deserving, and he stated that he hadn't.