Bi-Annual Rules Congress for DCA

SDCA may provide some additional PERFORMANCE opportunities, but it is not planned to be a COMPETITIVE arena.

Well of course....but in the greater scheme of things, what's more important...a score or performing in the first place? Sure a score is an indicator of success relative to another corps, but you have to perform to get it.

I didn't really care about a score in 02 Dream...i was just glad to be on the field performing again.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SDCA is a viable choice for a Corps just starting out. It's easy to join and has performance numbers that a small corps could put on the court. It kinda looks like the old rum Corps MidWest. :ph34r:

RUM Corps Midwest?? :blink::blink::devil: (and I don't even drink!)

Add minicorps links and alumni corps links to the DCA website. Almost all corps have websites these days. Give them some recognition. (I know probably not a rule proposal, just common decency IMO)

great idea

Good point, Kay.... but I just think the current 35 number "skirts the edge" for corps like the Govenaires, who are a terrific Class A corps, and one of the most entertaining corps on the field, period.... a corps that I would hate to see sit out DCA's.

30 would give corps like that a bit more of a comfort zone. Again, just my two cents on this. And I would never lower that number below 30. A minimum-size rule is a necessary thing, IMO.

On the mini-corps side, I would not have a problem raising the size to 25, based largely on Larry Kerchner's interview a year or two ago in Drum Corps World, where he made what I think is a pretty good case for the 25 number. But no higher, for sure. That's why it's called "mini-corps."

As far as creating another class for the 22-34 size (under the current size rules for Class A and mini-corps), I honestly don't see a need for it. Just my opinion.

Fran

a logic i can not argue with

Has there been any discussion about D II & III's participating in DCA down the road ?

I hope not. they ential their own set of issues. They need to fend for themselves a lot better in DCI.

Someone just gave you an alternative (one that I plan to look into, in fact)...stop dismissing EVERY SINGLE suggestion presented to you.

Going to DCA cannot be the be all, end all of a corps life....that's the kind of thinking that killed so many DCI corps that really weren't ready to travel outside their own region.

\

it's killed a few DCA corps as well. i notice he still didnt write a proposal

Back on topic

I'm not sure what rules I'd like to see passed. I'd probably go with increasing mini-corps, but I understand that it is there because of stage-space requirements.

I seem to remember a chorus in 06 on the stage with about 50+ folks on it.

Didnt seem to be a problem then.

For the record I am ok with the 21 rule for mini corps.Its the 22-34 not haveing a venue that I think is wrong and needs to be corrected.

Seemed simple enough before the rule.If you had 27 you had the choice to cut to 21 or go to class A with a small corps.Easy as pie.

And when / if SDCA over shadows DCA. That benefits DCA how? 300 less corps to record? 7,000 less seats needed at the venue. Exageration perhaps, only time will tell.

Can't exactly have an Olympics / Championships if you only include countries with leaders elected by majority vote / ballot. Or we'll just weed out the poorer countries by holding the event on the moon. It's still a championships right?

then start your own circuit,.................it's working for MCA.........

I propose that all Show DATES be set ONE YEAR in ADVANCE. Just the DATES. Not specific locations / venues, and other minutia. Although you probably could tack on must be within 75 miles of location X. This way when a show is held, the audience can be told when to come back next year at that show.

all the show dates have been set.................years in advance,...............they are every Saturday from about mid June until Labor Day