new from SCV

Once these materials are made available, audition candidates are encouraged to make videos of themselves playing through the materials. Lately, the best way of delivering such videos has been via YouTube. Videos can be uploaded and the corresponding link(s) can be emailed to the appropriate recipient as follows:

I'm not sure about this. I think [for once in my life] I'd hate to be murray gusseck. Instead of having people that are truly serious about auditioning go through the minimal effort of proving their desire to come play for SCV, now little bobby, who was no doubt section leader in high school can just send a you tube link to murray gusseck saying "check me out." I could foresee a billion wasted hours watching players that thought it'd just be cool to get some feedback from murray.

On the other hand the video promo with technique advice is GREAT. tangible, visible, audible how-to's on scv's approach to percussion - great confidence builder for an unsure candidate. I just dont like the video audition submission idea.

Edited by 08Hawkeye

i like it because it saves a LOT of time and money if you suck and don't know it.

i think it's a great idea. i just think he'll hate youtube forever after this fall, lol

Seems pretty cool to me. From what I understand, it has not been out of the ordinary for corps to accept video taped auditions, so You Tube videos seem like the next logical progression: saves postage and money for resources (tape/DVD). Any trained judge/instructor can spot a quality player from a video pretty quick, so the concerns of 08Hawkeye shouldn't be too huge.

It could also encourage great players who might not want to (or might not be able to) financially commit to coming to auditions to post a video. Perhaps this will help SCV find some undiscovered talent that otherwise wouldn't have flown to Santa Clara for auditions.

I'm not sure about this. I think [for once in my life] I'd hate to be murray gusseck. Instead of having people that are truly serious about auditioning go through the minimal effort of proving their desire to come play for SCV, now little bobby, who was no doubt section leader in high school can just send a you tube link to murray gusseck saying "check me out." I could foresee a billion wasted hours watching players that thought it'd just be cool to get some feedback from murray.

On the other hand the video promo with technique advice is GREAT. tangible, visible, audible how-to's on scv's approach to percussion - great confidence builder for an unsure candidate. I just dont like the video audition submission idea.

Maybe some people can't fork out $400 to blow incase they don't make it. Money is tight.

I think this is great. I have a friend who got a keyboard spot at Crown this past season via a YouTube video.

LOVE this idea and I hope they make extra DVDs because I'd love to see that.

With the DVDs-

Prospective members start familiarizing themselves with the technique program well before auditions and maybe learn something that they can use even if they don't make the line, and the prospective members are probably more comfortable with the audition process having seen and heard (sortof) how things are run and Gusseck's style of teaching. And SCV makes money selling the DVDs.

Less convinced about the YouTube thing.