Skin cancer and drum corps

Hello Former Corp Members!!

I am a physician working at the Kaiser Deer Valley Dermatology Department in Antioch, California. Many years ago I marched with the Anaheim Kingsmen (1982). Since then I have remained interested in drum and bugle corp especially since the Blue Devils are local. One question I have thought about. Does all the sun exposure we get while marching and drilling lead to a higher incidence skin cancer?. If the hypothesis is true, then more aggressive sun protection may help future generations of drum corp performers.

I would be interested in hearing from ex- corp members who are in their 30's or above. If you do have a history of skin cancer or precancerous skin lesions let me know and tell me your experiences (anonymously is okay). If I get enough responders I'm considering doing a formal survey to get better statistics.

Thanks much and hope to hear from you.

Lance Gee MD

Concord, CA

lance.a.gee@kp.org

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a physician working at the Kaiser Deer Valley Dermatology Department in Antioch, California. Many years ago I marched with the Anaheim Kingsmen (1982). Since then I have remained interested in drum and bugle corp especially since the Blue Devils are local. One question I have thought about. Does all the sun exposure we get while marching and drilling lead to a higher incidence skin cancer?. If the hypothesis is true, then more aggressive sun protection may help future generations of drum corp performers.

I would be interested in hearing from ex- corp members who are in their 30's or above. If you do have a history of skin cancer or precancerous skin lesions let me know and tell me your experiences (anonymously is okay). If I get enough responders I'm considering doing a formal survey to get better statistics.

Lance Gee MD

Concord, CA

lance.a.gee@kp.org

Sorry, I got click happy. Anyhow I am now 54 and marched quite awhile since I was 15. I also work in a job where I am outside most of the time. I never was much for sunblocks and such and have no skin problems. Hope this helps get you started.

Doc, I don't hold a medical degree, but I've worked as an engineer in the radiology field for 23 years and every time I try to explain to someone that the Sun is just a giant thermo-nuclear generator they just shrug and go to the beach. I can only imagine what you have to deal with. It must be frustrating. The fairer your skin the more vunerable you are. Most people don't realize that a "sunburn" is a radiation burn - in other words - you just got zapped baby. My own non-certified medical advice is COVER UP OUT THERE !

I'd be curious to see how you design your control population on this one as well as your variables on outcomes: 'normal' statistical population, drum corps v nondrum corps people, total exposure times, regional....lots to consider and plenty of opportunity to learn. I'd like to see you go ahead with the survey.

over 50 here, 'olive' skinned and no apparent skin abnormalities - but I wonder if I should get checked. 30+ years of drum corp. wife approaching 'that age', less than 10 years of active drum corps, fair skinned, some benign lesions removed over the years.

Lance Gee MD

Concord, CA

lance.a.gee@kp.org

I've often wondered if those of us who participated in the activity might be at greater risk of skin cancer due to the amount of exposure we incurred.

Anecdotally, I have a parent who has suffered bouts with skin cancer for many years and I motivated to be particularly careful during the seasons I’ve marched. So, I was one of the fair-skinned, nerdy guys always wearing a hat and a shirt (along with sunblock) back in the ‘80s when it wasn’t very cool. Even with the precautions, I got burned many times, but so far no ill effects (I’m in my early 40s now).

Back then, it seemed customary for us all to get burned pretty badly during the March and April camps, then most of us never seemed too concerned with the exposure for the rest of the summer. We just had to figure out a clever way to explain the sock lines or drum carrier lines to our friends when we got home.

Best of luck with this study. It would be interesting to learn if there is an additional risk being borne by today’s performers.

My wife is a red head who marched in the early 80's. For the 3 years she marched she essentially fried (as you know there was no such thing as sun block then) especially in Miami in 83. She regularly gets skin checkups and so far has been clear (thankfully). Here's an interesting story... there is a Cavalier and Emerald Knights alum out there who was/is allergic to the sun. I remember seeing him play tenors covered head to toe. His name is Dave Huntley (sp?)

I would also recommend contacting the Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment. I believe they both have physicians who are affilliated with their respective corps. Hope that helps.

Lance, it certainly is a great idea to follow-up on. Please keep me posted on your findings. Although I don't practice, my training is in Anatomical Pathology.

It seems obvious that the general attitude to sun-damage 20/30 yrs ago was substantially more lax than today?

I'd be interested in how modern Drum Corps "can" have/provide a positive effect vs. general populace (control) due to more collective intelligence "control" over members' usage of sun-related best practices: hats, shades, lotions, apparel. (provided of course that Modern Drum Corps are indeed promoting and enforcing)

-jpz

Edited by Jeff Zehner

I did about 10 years of corps, a bunch of years teaching band-o's and generally spent a lot of time in the sun recreationally! (now AND then)

That said, nothing has occurred on my skin, I am of Italian lineage and never burned a LOT.. GOT sunburn, but then it went to tan, and never went back the whole summer, and I NEVER used sunscreen of any type in those days.

(Sunglasses and baseball caps were the order of the day though)

I use a little sunscreen now, but mostly on my wife's orders!

Good luck in your research!