Opportunities Missed with the pit amped

Now, ever since the front ensemble (pit) was allowed to be amped, I feel there have been opportunities missed. One of them is moving the pit from being directly in front and opening up the middle of the field. I mean, the whole idea of the pit was to place instruments you cannot hear well, up front. Well, since amplification is now well in use, I am surprised to see nobody really move the pit around some. Yes, I am aware of potential power and cable issues (especially at small local venues), but all big venues have multiple sources of power along the sidelines.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, ever since the front ensemble (pit) was allowed to be amped, I feel there have been opportunities missed. One of them is moving the pit from being directly in front and opening up the middle of the field. I mean, the whole idea of the pit was to place instruments you cannot hear well, up front. Well, since amplification is now well in use, I am surprised to see nobody really move the pit around some. Yes, I am aware of potential power and cable issues (especially at small local venues), but all big venues have multiple sources of power along the sidelines.

If you have battery power, you don't have to worry about power cables at all.

I tend to agree, though if you place them on the field, you end up having a lot of space taken up in the "marching area", which itself may cause problems. We placed our pit-only percossion between the 35-45 on one side of the field with the small band I work with in 2006, and it worked...but we are small, a TOTAL of about 45-50 people tops, inc guard.

Another opportunity missed is the pits haven't gotten smaller. Theoretically, amplification allows the ensemble to do more with less. I would have thought some creative minds would have arranged the pit book in a fashion to allow redeployment of bodies for more visual impact. I suppose the expansion to 150 was an offset in this regard. Still, I look at the large numbers "off the field" and wonder whether there is a better way to employ that head.

HH

Edited by glory

I haven't seen any shows with pits placed on the field where the position really enhanced the production. As others have pointed out, it tends to present more of an obstacle to visual design than the benefits it creates.

Front sideline still seems to be the best placement, imo.

I haven't seen any shows with pits placed on the field where the position really enhanced the production. As others have pointed out, it tends to present more of an obstacle to visual design than the benefits it creates.

Front sideline still seems to be the best placement, imo.

I didn't say it should be necessarily on the field, but not necessarily right up front and in the middle. I remember a few shows pre-amp days where they had the pit on the field or moved it during the show.

Acutally, why does the pit have to be all together?

There's no reason that the keyboards can't be in one place, while the cymbals, timps, misc are in another place/other places. With amplification centered on the front sidelines, there's no reason that the "pit" instruments can't be strewn all around the field, either incorporated into the drill (a la the door) or spread out in the end zone or back sideline. Heck, there's no reason that these instruments can't be moved around during the show like props (sundial anyone?).

Would there be challenges regarding wiring and phasing as such? Sure, but innovation trumps all, right? :satisfied:

Edited by Liam

as a pit person, i can honestly say i would hate to be anywhere but on the front sideline. i never saw the point of putting them anywhere else like the middle of the field for example, unless it was a small band being dealt with, then i could understand. other than that the pit should really stay where it is.

and i dont see why the pit should get smaller. like someone else already said, its already the smallest section of the corps so why make it any smaller? its hard to make the pit section cuz it really is only available to roughly 12 ppl, why make it smaller and make it harder to get into?

I imagine the biggest reason to keep the where it is is ensemble. If you start spreading the instruments out to far you will not have good ensemble and the scores will go down.

Another point, is everything miced? cymbalss, gongs, concert bass drums? If there are some things that aren't miced they would most likely need to stay near the front sideline.

From a musical approach...

Imagine that the front ensemble is all out at the side one 30 yard line. The hornline and battery are across the 50 on side two. Now you try to enhance the musical performance with suspended cymbals or wind chimes, etc., those things that are not normally amped. The sound coming from the opposite side of the field would be a bit odd.

Having the front ensemble, for the most part, between the 35's or 40's and having the enhancing instruments all throught the front ensemble gives you the opportunity to use those closest to the sound center that you are trying to enhance.