If you could go back to one or more DCI seasons...

1968. Any one of the top 5 had a legit shot at the championship.

When Tony Schlecta presented the VFW Championship trophy to the Kilties, it already had their name on the plaque !!!

Explaination: The trophy was donated by the Smith Music Sales, and Glenn Smith had FIVE interchangeable plaques engraved. He was prepared for a victory by the Cavaliers, Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, Royal Airs, or even the Kilties.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'd like to go back with the knowledge/experience I now have to 1973. In fact, I'd like to go back knowing how it all turned out and work to make changes that would have made the corps I marched with more successful. Somehow, I don't think changing the history of the Pittsburgh Rockets would have resulted in a nuclear melt down.

However, their failure eventually lead me to junior corps where I finished out my marching career. Unfortunately, it had been my dream to continue marching with the Rockets for as long as I could stand.

I'd go back to 1978, my age out year and march with Santa Clara. I had every intension on going down to try out but I couldn't afford it.

If you notice, they had a contra hole in 1978 finals.

THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME !!!! :smile::smile:

Great question Michael.

1980 is the year I would go back to....

I'll second 1980.

And it would have been cool, that year when I was a big fan of the Scouts and their "rock star-like" DM, to be aware that someday he'd (Chef Dan) be preparing a Christmas feast in our kitchen. Brother-in-law.

It also would have been a kick to find Scott Stewart and say, (arms waving in a dream sequence a-la Wayne and Garth): "In the year 2008, you will be the director of the all-age Kilties, and create one of the coolest shows DCA has ever seen..." And in Scott-form he'd smile politely, look to the next person with his subtle "who-is-this-nutcase-and-how-do-I-gracefully-get-away?" look, thank me for sharing, and then walk faster. I can picture that!

#2 Favorite year would be 2008. A serious "Restoration of Faith" thing, for me. I loved 10 of 12 Finalists.

I'd go back to 1978, my age out year and march with Santa Clara. I had every intension on going down to try out but I couldn't afford it.

If you notice, they had a contra hole in 1978 finals.

THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME !!!! :worthy::smile:

You do not want to get me started on '78! :smile:

I would like to march one more year with the Santa Clara Vanguard in 1973. I got drafted into the Army and didn't get to march my last age out season. A small group of us who started with Santa Clara back in 1966 (Sparks) had already earned an American Legion Championship, a VFW Championship and to add a DCI Championship would have been the icing on the cake. Uncle Sam thought otherwise so I didn't get march that last year (sigh! :smile: )

Jesse

'66-72 SC Vanguard

Edited by amadorj

I answered this earlier but I thought about my new answer....

I would like to go back to 1976 and be able to control the last few days of my corps (Royal Coachmen). We won the "A": Class NT Open title, then competed in the Open Class and the next day traveled to Philly. Our corps director resigned before the corps left, our housing was screwed up and we were just LOST prior to going into prelims. I would have liked to made sure the corps was well rested and had a decent rehearsal before heading over to prelims. Personally I think we would have came a lot closer to the top 10 in A class, rather than 16th or 18th (Can't remember).

I'll always remember the looks on the VK members' faces when they realized they had made finals in 1984...especially the ones who marched the "inactive" season in 1980 and stayed for the duration. They'll always be champions in my heart.

Garry in Vegas

1987....to go back and be a member of the 87 Garfield snare line....and.....

1993 Star....to play those ahnnum beats, and experience that whole season, top to bottom as a marching member!

And...1988 Garfield....a drum corps that got their a**es beat into the ground by the staff all summer long, but in the end....won percussion performance...some of Hannum's best writing, IMO.

Actually, I would be more interested in a pre-DCI year - 1968. Any one of the top 5 had a legit shot at the championship. Had to have been very exciting.

Of course back then there were more shows to spread around and there was no real "championship" to speak of. With the many Drums Along the (you pick the city), Pageant of Drums, Mission Drums, Tournament of Drums, Crusade of Drums, Fantasy of Drums and all the other "Drums" shows not to mention The Dream Shows, The CYO Nationals, American Legion, Danny Thomas Invitationals, World Open and of all of them the World Open probably would have been the closest to the only real championship competition. But that's just my opinion.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet