Dynasty 3 Valve Bugles

Kansan

We have some 3 valve G Dynasty Bugles now and after playing one today, I have a new positive view of the Dynasty Brass Product.

I cut my Drum Corps teeth on King and started my Senior Drum Corps career on an Olds Ultratone II and now, after we got some Dynasty 3 valve Bugles, find myself playing a Dynasty.

Now the Dynasty IIs are a bear to play compaired to the King and Olds poducts I've played. I appreciated DEG/Dynasty Brass for what I thought they were, inexpensive brass to start a corps with. Now that I've experienced the 3 valve Dynasty Baritone, I must say I am pleasantly suprised.

Slotting is good and I don't find myself overblowing as much which may be due to more plumbing. The Sound was rather mellow and not edgy at all. The Balance is the best so far of all the G Bartiones I've tried (King, Olds and DEG/Dynasty II) We have 6 of these and should have a pretty good section once we get them all manned. :thumbup:

Now, since I'm talking up Dynasty, I fully expect them to call us up and offer us some complimentary 3 valve Sopranos so we can have more than Three 3 valve Sops. :thumbup:

If they don't respond soon, some of our guys may go out and buy Kanstul 3 valve Sops. :worthy:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a baritone player, so I can't really comment on that voice. But I have played several Dynasty sopranos, and they were the worst instruments I have ever played. Terrible pitch center, terrible construction, etc...worse than a student horn. The Kanstul Powerbore is vastly superior in every way.

But their baritone might be good!

The Dynasty 3-valve G mellophones really aren't bad at all. I played one for one season and enjoyed it. The things I liked better about the Kanstul were that it was a little bit lighter, felt less bell-heavy in playing position, and didn't have as much of a slot. I could work the pitch a little bit more, which I prefer to some extent. Some may feel the opposite way, wanting to be able to sit the note right in the slot and have it stay there. It's a personal preference.

I'm not a baritone player, so I can't really comment on that voice. But I have played several Dynasty sopranos, and they were the worst instruments I have ever played. Terrible pitch center, terrible construction, etc...worse than a student horn. The Kanstul Powerbore is vastly superior in every way.

But their baritone might be good!

I've only played the dynasty Bb trumpet. However, your description of the soprano is very close to what my description of the their trumpet would be. Alternatively, I tried their Bb euphonium, and it was pretty nice!

I've heard (from multiple sources) that the first gen 3 valve Dynasty baritones and euphs were made in the Willson factory. Is there any truth to that? These are the longer type that Phantom and Cavies used before they went Bb.

During my last two seasons with Crown we had 5 of the longer type and 3 newer shorter versions. I preferred the older longer horns.

I own a longer type Dynasty 3 valve bari and a Kanstul euph. The Dynasty is in new condition and the Kanstul is in rough shape, even after some light reconditioning. I've always heard how Kanstul was so vastly superior to Dynasty in every way, but to be honest, I like playing my Dynasty more than the Kanstul. That might have a lot to do with the condition of the horns.

The school I work with uses Bb Yamaha baritones. I can get better sound out of those than I can with the bugles I own. If I was playing a gig and had to choose between the Bb Yamaha, the G Dynasty, or the G Kanstul, I'd be playing the Yamaha. It's just a lot easier to play, in any range.

I have one of the first vintage, 3 valve, G, Dynasty bugles. It's a good horn. Slots well and is far superior, IMO to the same vintage Kanstul 3 valves.

My 3 valve Dynasty is 20 years old and looks and plays like new.

Now, I've been playing for about 45 years, so maybe I just automatically make adjustments, but I did not like the Kanstul sops from back then. Hard to hold and a dead sound.

I look at brass playing like everything else, garbage in = garbage out. IMHO, of course.

I've heard (from multiple sources) that the first gen 3 valve Dynasty baritones and euphs were made in the Willson factory. Is there any truth to that? These are the longer type that Phantom and Cavies used before they went Bb.

During my last two seasons with Crown we had 5 of the longer type and 3 newer shorter versions. I preferred the older longer horns.

I own a longer type Dynasty 3 valve bari and a Kanstul euph. The Dynasty is in new condition and the Kanstul is in rough shape, even after some light reconditioning. I've always heard how Kanstul was so vastly superior to Dynasty in every way, but to be honest, I like playing my Dynasty more than the Kanstul. That might have a lot to do with the condition of the horns.

The school I work with uses Bb Yamaha baritones. I can get better sound out of those than I can with the bugles I own. If I was playing a gig and had to choose between the Bb Yamaha, the G Dynasty, or the G Kanstul, I'd be playing the Yamaha. It's just a lot easier to play, in any range.

The Euph we have has Willson stamped on it.

Edited by Kansan

I think Dynasty horns get a bad rap here. I've played them all Kings, Ultratones...etc. I have seen clunkers from every maker but by far most horns play just fine...and much better with a matched set in a line. Quite honetly I think the TAN slide horns are about the worst designed horns in the business, but playable. No horn plays itself in tune perfectly and it's up to the players to get the notes centered and tuned properly. People spend entiely too much time worrying about "cheater" mouthpieces and type of horn rather than good playing technique IMHO.

The Euph we have has Willson stamped on it.

Isn't the Willson factory in Brazil? I think they and Getzen are in cahoots somehow, but I don't know the connection.

I played a Willson Trumpet a few years ago or so - it was OK, nothing to write home about, but seemed well made and played well.