Phantom drill design...

Well, I may be way off here, but isn't the drill SUPPOSED to compliment the music etc? Or, should a drill be far more than what the music and/or drill put forward? I mean -- shouldn't they compliment eachother to produce that WOW effect amn one not be better than the other?

I feel it's the latter - and Phantom had a divine combination of both imho for wehat they were trying to put across on the field...

I guess it was enuff....... AND I FOR ONE AM ELATED with the outcome! Nik, you done good kid! It was great meeting you in Flemington for DCI East!

Edited by PRPhan4ever

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom's drill alone, was not that good. However, with the music, it was extremely effective... Drum corps today seems to base its' rankings on how effective the shows are... It isn't about how clean the drill is or how well the horn-line plays anymore...

If it had been like this about 10-12 years ago then the Madison Scouts would have two more championships under their belts based off of effect alone!

I give mad props to Phantom's show! I loved it! It was the most intense show I have seen in a while! Was their drill clean? No. Was their drill that good? No. Fortunately for them, it #### well worked with that show!

I agree,

A drill design alone should not be effective... add the music and it should be extremely effective. GE should just be GE. Not separated into visual and music, because it is really impossible these days to do that. I think they are on the right track now with judging GE, now that there are two judges for visual and music.. but now just make it GE. It makes more sense in today's drum corps.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Can you imagine the music they played with a Cavies or Cadets visual program? I can't. That said, it was designed to complement the music, not make you over look it.

If they were to go down the Cavies/Cadets visual path, it would be out of character for them and could possibly result in a less than stellar musical program. (I did say "could")

During visual moments of "to die for" effects, how often is there a difficult musical passage to go with it? (JMO)

Can you imagine the music they played with a Cavies or Cadets visual program? I can't. That said, it was designed to complement the music, not make you over look it.

If they were to go down the Cavies/Cadets visual path, it would be out of character for them and could possibly result in a less than stellar musical program. (I did say "could")

During visual moments of "to die for" effects, how often is there a difficult musical passage to go with it? (JMO)

The first that came to mind when I read that sentence was the "cross to cross" move in 91 Star. Absolutely love that move and there was a lot going on musically during it! :smile:

Edited by idlethreats

OT political discussion has been removed from this thread. Please keep conversation on the topic at hand, and within community guidelines. Thanks guys.

Thanks, Matt. Joe's a good guy, but apparently has nothing to do with Phantom or DC.

BTW, I'm watching Return of the Jedi and the scene where the Emperor arrives just came on...all those Storm Troopers in white standing around with two guys in all black walking around...seemed strangely appropriate given current conversation.

You guys lighten up. I know PR is still not Star when it comes to drill. Heck, Cavies have the music and drill combo down this decade IMHO. But PR did pretty well this year and they made a huge improvement on the Firebird closer from a year ago. Again, just my $0.02, but I think one of their HUGE lessons learned recently was the amount of movement they were doing while playing tough notes. They did a pretty good job this time, so I felt it was appropriate (especially coming from me!) to toss the staff a bone for a job well done...especially Nick for his first sojourn into the arena, so to speak.

As for those of you who have still found a way to be haters...lighten up. I'm pretty kind to your Cavies/Blue Devils/Scouts, etc when I want to be. Repay the favor. I know about the 0.1, averaging and 2nd place things. Give it up, eh? Can't win all the time.

As for those of you who have still found a way to be haters...lighten up. I'm pretty kind to your Cavies/Blue Devils/Scouts, etc when I want to be. Repay the favor. I know about the 0.1, averaging and 2nd place things. Give it up, eh? Can't win all the time.

So you weren't looking for a (fairly) intelligent conversation about people's opinions regarding Phantom's drill, you were just looking for a Phantom love fest? I'm not trying to be a "hater," I'm just trying to figure out if this is a thread intended to be a "let's talk about the pro's and con's of Phantom's visual program," or a "hey, this is an aspect of Phantom's show I haven't seen people pile on the love yet: let's do it" thread.

I know that no one likes to hear criticism of their favorite corps/show, but if you want to have a thread about an aspect of a show you have to expect to hear both sides of that discussion.

The first that came to mind when I read that sentence was the "cross to cross" move in 91 Star. Absolutely love that move and there was a lot going on musically during it! :smile:

Agreed, visually VERY appealing. However, aside from velocity, the music difficulty did not go much beyond 8th notes.

Agreed, visually VERY appealing. However, aside from velocity, the music difficulty did not go much beyond 8th notes.

They were playing full out! At the end of their show! That takes a lot of air/endurance. I would say 16th note licks would be easier there as opposed to long sustained chords, which is what much of it was

They were playing full out! At the end of their show! That takes a lot of air/endurance. I would say 16th note licks would be easier there as opposed to long sustained chords, which is what much of it was

Sorry I wasn't as clear, but I wasn't really considering how many notes they were playing, just what they were playing and taking in consideration how late in the show was fairly spectacular.

Also, the second quote that I have, the two things that came to mind about long sustains are Carolina Crown 2007 and Bluecoats 2008.. Crown's was not my favorite show, but to sustain a note for 32? counts is pretty difficult. Then Bluecoats do the same thing, but at the end of their show... again, pretty difficult

Edited by idlethreats

Sorry I wasn't as clear, but I wasn't really considering how many notes they were playing, just what they were playing and taking in consideration how late in the show was fairly spectacular.

Also, the second quote that I have, the two things that came to mind about long sustains are Carolina Crown 2007 and Bluecoats 2008.. Crown's was not my favorite show, but to sustain a not for 32? counts is pretty difficult. Then Bluecoats do the same thing, but at the end of their show... again, pretty difficult

Got it!