Military elements

I find it more interesting than weird... Like anything that evolves over time, there will always be things that carry over from previous incarnations.

The thing that I find most interesting is how uniforms, while still influenced by their military influences, have taken on a life of their own. There's not a corps, save for maybe the Troop and possibly the Cadets, that one would mistake as being an actual military unit. The uniforms are a weird mix of sports uniforms and military uniforms.

As I'm sure anyone who reads these forums recognize, the drum corps activity has evolved radically from its military roots... Do any of you find this strange or interesting?

Yeah, you're right, but it's just tradition. Like most traditions, all this will likely gradually evolve away. Look how the pre-show PA announcements have changed, especially in recent years. For years, they announced "On the starting line..." even though nobody was on the starting line.

Edited by Peel Paint

Yeah, you're right, but it's just tradition. Like most traditions, all this will likely gradually evolve away. Look how the pre-show PA announcements have changed, especially in recent years. For years, they announced "On the starting line..." even though nobody was on the starting line.

I think to an outsider, all the things that the OP mentioned would be considered strange. I will say that I find it hard to explain why guards spin rifles and sabers and why the guard is even called the "guard." One thing I do find interesting is that the corps proper wears uniforms and marches, while the color guards wear costumes and dance.

How about the whole "marching" thing? What happens on the field during a DCI show can hardly be compared to a unit in the military marching off to battle...

Where did you "march"...

No wonder nobody out in the real world understands us! :smile:

Most of the so-called "military" stuff that people talk about with DCI corps is really not very military-like at all. In other words, all of the stuff the OP mentioned seems to have become DCI/drum corps traditions in and of themselves, not really military traditions.

I think the military aspects of drum corps are a great way to promote confidence, camaraderie, and discipline. Reguardless of how old the corps is and what the roots are. I don't find them strange at all.