30 Seconds

If you could pick 30 seconds from any show (from the Fan Network) to show to a group of people who have no idea what drum corps is, what clip would you pick? And yes, I'm asking this because I have to do the above scenario. For my Speech class, I've chosen to give a speech on drum and bugle corps. My teacher has approved two visual aids for me: I get to wear my corps jacket, and I can show a 30-second clip to the class at the end of my speech. So, now I need to find a good clip. At the moment, I'm considering either the big hit at the beginning of Crown '08, or the "Boxer" segment from Bluecoats '08 ballad (you know what segment I'm talking about).

I need something that embodies drum corps in 30 seconds - or less. Can anyone help me out? I'm a member of the Fan Network, so I've got access to all the top 12 shows from just about every year. Thanks.

Edited by Mellofone08

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the last 30 seconds of the Cadets show this year was pretty beastly. Carried both the visual and musical package that drum corps is known for.

But if that's not available, the Bluecoats clip would DEFINATELY work :thumbup:

Good call on the Cadets, the last minute of that show brought me out of my seat. Personally I think impressive drill is easier to "get" upon first viewing then impressive music, and as far as music goes rhythm is king right now, so another good idea might be the section of the Cavaliers show about three-quarters in where the hornline is jumping everywhere and the drums are firing out their beat.

The Bluecoats park and blow is one of my favorite parts of the season, but it you're trying to convey info about drum corps, the Crown clip would be better suited. From 0:55 to 1:25 on the Allentown video, you get a variety of drill, a variety of music, flags, and rifles, all well done. The video of the Bluecoats moment just doesn't do it justice anyway.

I agree that if you leave out visual you'll be leaving out impact.

I'd have to agree with something visual.

Maybe try that one move from Cavaliers 2002 where they unfold that box and then fold it back into a triangle, or fight club (even though fight club is just one aspect of drum corps).

I show new people that show as a good starter show for them, just to get them hooked. They also seem to be impressed with the Troopers sunburst and they enjoy shows with music they recognize (Bluecoats, SCV '89, Madison '99).

They also might enjoy the concept of Cadets 2005.

ahhh, it sucks that you only have 30 seconds.

I agree that the Crown segment would be a much better representation of the current state of Drum Corps than the Bluecoats clip.

It has visual interest with drill and colorguard, the full ensemble is playing music, and it's an obvious example of taking existing music and adapting it for the medium.

I would choose something from Crown too, its a plus that they play popular music too with a modern twist....Crown 2004 "Bohemia" is my favorite choice to show my friends

I think I have to go with the end of Star 1991. The music and visual are timeless...

My second choice would be the opener of Santa Clara 1985 when they changed their pants...

I agree with the end of the Cadets show. It was one of my favorite endings of this year and is a great representation of the activity as a whole. Also maybe the end of regiment 07