Today's Episode...

Slow day at the office, so here comes my $.02...

When referring to a drum corps, you're pretty much good whatever you use. Why? Because, when referring to a drum corps in the singular (is, it) you're just referring to the organization, and when you refer to a drum corps in the plural (they, are) you are referring to the members. Both are correct.

So saying "The Blue Devils is a drum corps from California" is correct, because that's the legal entity name, and saying "The Blue Devils are a drum corps from California" is correct, because that's talking about the members that make up the drum corps.

But let's focus on the issue....if you don't put an "s" after "corp" then consider yourself a big FAIL!

I wore my Santa Clara Vanguard hat out a few times during the holiday season and was asked if that was a Santa Clause group. :rolleyes::worthy::worthy:

Did you tell them yes?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slow day at the office, so here comes my $.02...

When referring to a drum corps, you're pretty much good whatever you use. Why? Because, when referring to a drum corps in the singular (is, it) you're just referring to the organization, and when you refer to a drum corps in the plural (they, are) you are referring to the members. Both are correct.

So saying "The Blue Devils is a drum corps from California" is correct, because that's the legal entity name, and saying "The Blue Devils are a drum corps from California" is correct, because that's talking about the members that make up the drum corps.

But let's focus on the issue....if you don't put an "s" after "corp" then consider yourself a big FAIL!

Did you tell them yes?

Well it doesn't help that at I look a bit like santa. :rolleyes:

It varied based on the situation. With someone I knew or was able to have a real conversation with I explained. With others I smiled and didn't say much.

Ok I'm no kind of grammar genius and didn't read the whole thread cause I started feeling a seizure coming on after the 3rd or 4th post, but wouldn't posessive be "corps's"?

Ok I'm no kind of grammar genius and didn't read the whole thread cause I started feeling a seizure coming on after the 3rd or 4th post, but wouldn't posessive be "corps's"?

You'd think that, but no, it's "corps'."

....conjunction junction, what's that function....

i resisted, but obviously someone could not, lol

You'd think that, but no, it's "corps'."

I thought you were correct... I googled a little and found this on wikipedia (I know...)

Nouns ending with silent "s", "x", or "z"

The English possessive of French nouns ending in a silent s, x, or z is rendered differently by different authorities. Some prefer Descartes' and Dumas', while others insist on Descartes's and Dumas's. Certainly a sibilant is pronounced in these cases; the theoretical question is whether the existing final letter is sounded, or whether s needs to be added. Similar examples with x or z: Sauce Périgueux's main ingredient is truffle; His pince-nez's loss went unnoticed; in both of these some writers might omit the added s.

so, in conclusion... I hate grammar.

Some prefer Descartes' and Dumas', while others insist on Descartes's and Dumas's.

Those others are Dumas'ses :rolleyes: