I hope this isn't a stupid Topic

Ok. Hi I'm Mason and I'm a senior at Colonial Heights High School in Colonial Heights, Virginia. I'm going to be graduating this year and still have no idea what to do with my life.....except that I want to be a guard instructor. Now, here is my dilema, my mom is flipping out cuz we both know that being a guard instructor will not pay the bills. But I know down in NC there are colorguard classes during there some of there school days. How rare is this? Is it hard to get a job being a guard TEACHER? How do I ensure my mom about this? What kind of stuff can I do with guard that actually will pay the bills? (Now this is the stupid question) Do corp directors and techs get paid or what? Cuz it'd be my dream to be a DCI Guard Instructor :P Please let me know so that my mom can take a chill pill

-Mason Lemocks

Don't do it. Get a degree and do it on the side. I've seen many people who have been in the activity for years and don't get paid worth their talent and experience. These same people will tell you not to get sucked into guard for years and years. Plus when your body gives out what will you do then? Retire on those thousands you've been saving from your abundant paycheck?

Once again, don't do it as the main focus for your life. The top designers in the game do more than one thing.

Don't rely on this.

Most often, these instructors are paid by the band boosters, NOT the school districts. This means that there are no benefits, no contracts, and absolutely zero job security.

The only "full-time" job here is to get a degree and a teaching certificate, and be an english teacher or something who teaches the guard. I've seen that work out very well.

For now, you should go to school and be a tech on the side somewhere, but be careful because a lot of places don't hire recent graduates to teach.

I will agree with everyone's sentiments here. Currently, there is no upward progression in the colorguard activity. Take it from someone who teaches and has taught drum corps, indoor guard, and outdoor guard. Do not get sucked into it- unless you have a full time job and can teach on the side. Very few people can live off of their wages in guard, and those that do design with major companies, make videos, travel to schools every week, and revolve around colorguard all the time.

Now, if you would like to teach, make sure you pay your performing dues! March an IW indoor guard and a top 5 drum corps. Make lots of contacts, watch tons of past shows, learn every piece of equipment, and take lots of modern, jazz, and ballet classes.

Good luck to you!

After being broke doing colorguard and going to school for years I FINALY got a gig here in Texas that pays throught the school district. These positions DO exist, but are for the extremely competitive programs and honestly you have to build your resume.

Get your dance teaching certification or phys ed. or anything. You more than likely will not make a living being a guard teacher.

I agree with whats everyone else has said - but I'll add my two cents worth.

I've been teaching for about 9 years now - started right out of high school. I DID have other part time jobs (retail mostly) and made it a point that they knew I taught color guard and wasn't available on weekends and certain weekdays.

You must stay in school - get a degree. I intend to always be involved in color guard - my life wouldn't be complete without it- but it's a must to have a "real" job (so to speak). * side note: currently I do not have another job. I teach 3 color guards, but once winter season starts I'll only have one program so part time work will be necessary*.

And as MHSMirage said - the great paying jobs are out there, but you have to have a killer resume and be willing to relocate to get them.

Yea like I believe that im 90% sure that Im willing to relocate but Im saying that now but we'll see when it comes to crunch time. But like Im just not sure what I want to do. I havent found anything thats just like...."Wow.....I wanna do that for the rest of my life" (other then colorguard) I mean like Sociology and Public Relations and all this stuff interest me buts its not like Wow

I've worked at Ruby Tuesdays for a year and 4 months so I have a job but idk haha im just confused. Thank yall so much for all this help!

The biggest comment in the thread is "Don't do it."

I must say that I disagree with that. I say go for it! If it is something you want to persue as a part of your life, then by all means do whatever it takes to keep it a part of your life. If we do not have new blood willing to move into instructing positions, then the activity will die. Not in a year, or even 10, but if no one currently performing ever moves into an instructing position, we will end up at some point in time with no instructors and the activity dies. I know that is fatalistic and extreme, but it is true.

OK, now that I have said "Go for it!", I must also say to not make it the entire focus of your life and never depend on it as a means of income. There are some people that make a living at it, but not many. March corps, march with an IW winter guard, get your foot in the door by being a tech somewhere. Plan on doing it for a season or two for very little to no money. Do it to satisfy your desires. Then as you build a resume, you will have a better chance to become the guard cap head somewhere.

I would also recommend continung your education through college. You don't have to know what you want to major in to start college. Take your basic courses as you "find yourself" in life. Go to a college that has a marching band program that includes a guard on the field and do that. Also, as you take your basic courses, take dance classes. Don't rule out any form of dance. Take modern, ballet, jazz, whatever they offer. As you make contacts in college, you will find that they will start to influence your life and you will end up finding something you want to do as a career. All the time you are going to college, keep helping out guards on the side and knocking on doors until you get an instructor position. Also, march a guard where ever you can. Then, when you find what you want to do in life to make a living, you can continue to work guard instructing into that as a means of supporting your love of colorguard.

I know many guard instructors from all walks of life. Some in retail, one that is a science teacher, another that is a lawyer, another that is president of a manufacturing company, a couple teachers of regular curriculum, etc. The key here is they all do instructing as a sideline to their "regular" jobs. They continue to do it because they love colorguard.

Absolutely go for it!......just don't rely on it as your main source of income.

If you want to teach, you should. However, I really think you need to have a back up plan.

Maybe think about being a dance major. Body movement is HUGE in CG, and taking lots of dance classes would be beneficial. Or, maybe you will go the fashion design route, and aspire to work with different uniform companies, and thus still have a regular job, and still work with major WG groups.

Or maybe you will think about being a teacher, whether it be PE or english, you'll be in the schools, and you know your job will not interfere with weekend rehearsals or performances, and the hours are regular.

I have been a director for 8 years. This will be our Winter Guard's 5th season. I get paid by the corporation. A whopping $2500 stipend for the whole school year. I do not have a "regular" job, I have a 5yo son and I am a stay at home mom. I stay home not for guard, but because I want to be available to volunteer in my son's classroom.

It is not a bad thing to have goals, just make sure you are doing everything possible to be successful (not only in personal accomplishments, but financially).