Crossmen 2009 Audio

"You probably get drum corps 2008 it at the same place 70's drum corps fans get theirs, or 80's drum corps fans get theirs, or 90's drum corps fans get theirs.

Things change over time...."

"If Crossmen got their groove back I wouldn't give two ***** what was going on electronics wise."

qft^2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had good ol' drum corps 1970 that was taken away in 1971 with the themed shows that supposedly were the 'year drum corps died'. Still enjoyed it, as I do today.

And as I also said:

"Does drum corps gain something in the process? Perhaps, but what is lost is irreplaceable. Will I stop liking "drum corps?" Probably not, but a line will have been crossed that in my mind will change its basic identity.

And I will miss what I will rarely hear again. "

Did you object to the themed shows? Did they change the sound? Do you miss the non-themed shows? I'm happy for you that you still enjoy drum corps, and sad for those who don't (as much).

Frankly...as long as its not busy music like the last 2 years, and a real groove, with real melody where the listener doesn't need a Ph. D in music to listen to, I'll be happy. Frankly I'm sick of the interweaving of melodies, and counter melodies that frankly no one cares about. No one is going to have a score at home or in the stands seeing how these things play off each other. Give me a groove, and a lot of people won't care about the electronics.

Yes, please. I miss the days when the Crossmen just did good jazz charts and put everything they had into the performance of good music. I get chills when I listen to older Crossmen shows; I say, "neat", when I listen to the most recent ones.

Yes, please. I miss the days when the Crossmen just did good jazz charts and put everything they had into the performance of good music. I get chills when I listen to older Crossmen shows; I say, "neat", when I listen to the most recent ones.

1990 1990 1990 1990 1990 1990 1990 1990 1990

I still don't get why we need electronics to "expand" creativity. From what I heard in the example it was an easy way to accomplish a "textural" result. I guess the "Ends justifieds the Means" ($2 to Machiavelli.)

Haven't we had textures in the past. what happened to backfield playing or playing to the end zones? What about the Dopler effect created by using acoutic bullhorns or whatbout the use of different mutes? Or what about staging of different emsembles(Quartets, Octets hell even Dectets). I haven't heard the use of small ensemble playing with in the larger corp used effectively much since the 70's or 80's. No that doesn't make me a dinosaur, I love what the 90's and new millenium corp shows have had to present.

But, to hide behind the guise of creativity to justify the use of electronis bothers me. I find the introduction of "non-organic" sounds to be something eles other then drum corp.

If the NY Phil or CSO came out with synths and samples it wouldn't be the Symphony anymore(I know somebody out there will quote a certain work done in 196? to prove me wrong) . I do like this merger in different genres (if you listen to older Alan Parsons Project albums it will serve as an example). But to change a whole genre drum corp into an existing genre marching band is a bit upsetting.

I'm just bothed as others are by the slow basterdization of drum corp over the last 5 years. I'm not sure I can handle the morphing of it in to Marching Band, and I hope I don't have to find out.

Sorry for the rant, but that podcast actually further solidified my personal stance, I love the jazz of the Crossmen and think it would take alot more creativity to bring something like Pat Metheny back to the field then using synths to go whooooooosh.

Did I like what it sounded like? Yes...in it's proper place I would enjoy it...However, it's proper place is NOT drum corps...sorry.

he admitted repeatedly that the sounds he created could be done with acoustic instumentation already in place in drum corps...and, to my thoughts, doing those kind of things with current instruments would be much more progressive than adding synths...

great post...

IF you can layer and texture with acoustic instruments,, TEACHING the performers the nuances etc..

why use electronics?? Just cause ya can???

sorry,,not an excuse..

I still don't get why we need electronics to "expand" creativity. From what I heard in the example it was an easy way to accomplish a "textural" result. I guess the "Ends justifieds the Means" ($2 to Machiavelli.)

Haven't we had textures in the past. what happened to backfield playing or playing to the end zones? What about the Dopler effect created by using acoutic bullhorns or whatbout the use of different mutes? Or what about staging of different emsembles(Quartets, Octets hell even Dectets). I haven't heard the use of small ensemble playing with in the larger corp used effectively much since the 70's or 80's. No that doesn't make me a dinosaur, I love what the 90's and new millenium corp shows have had to present.

But, to hide behind the guise of creativity to justify the use of electronis bothers me. I find the introduction of "non-organic" sounds to be something eles other then drum corp.

If the NY Phil or CSO came out with synths and samples it wouldn't be the Symphony anymore(I know somebody out there will quote a certain work done in 196? to prove me wrong) . I do like this merger in different genres (if you listen to older Alan Parsons Project albums it will serve as an example). But to change a whole genre drum corp into an existing genre marching band is a bit upsetting.

I'm just bothed as others are by the slow basterdization of drum corp over the last 5 years. I'm not sure I can handle the morphing of it in to Marching Band, and I hope I don't have to find out.

Sorry for the rant, but that podcast actually further solidified my personal stance, I love the jazz of the Crossmen and think it would take alot more creativity to bring something like Pat Metheny back to the field then using synths to go whooooooosh.

hear, hear!