1978 Santa Clara Vanguard

Okay, okay, what I should have said was....

Before the exposure the internet now provides, the only way to see what else was going on in the drum corps world was to tour some.

I have to say, I had no clue about drum corps (the scope and history of the activity) until my first year with a major corps that got me off the west coast for the first time in my life.

It was a common practice by the corps in the bay area to retain portions of their show.

Does that slide down a little easier? I really had no intent to offend.

have a great day!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that was the weakest hornline to lead a DCI champion.

The rest of the corps was scary strong.

I don't agree, but I see your point. SCV was not known as having a powerful hornline like that of BD, Phantom or Spirit in those days. SCV's strengths were being solid and innovative with GE, drums, and M&M. However, they tied for 3rd in horns which is not horrible and probably kept them in the hunt with BD and Phantom for 1st.

n644324714_1040990_6266.jpg

Snares featured performing "Hopak", which was SCV's concert in 1978

Personally, I think this is one of the greatest drum corps shows in DCI history. The Khachaturian tunes were awesome, so far ahead of their time musically. Overture to a New Era is probably one of the top off the lines of all time, and was played powerfully--those baritones were barking baby! The color guard also did unique things by putting up a maypole and then dancing around it, using hula hoops instead of rifles and putting the entire guard up for the Bottle Dance. Magic! The drumline led by Rob Carson at center snare '78 was one of the finest in SCV history, taking high drums. 1978 was a highly competitive year for a lot of drum corps and SCV fought hard for that title.

I watched the '78 A Corps rehearse quite a lot in the lot at the Bingo Hall and they thoroughly impressed me. I was a 15 year old P/R Baritone player in the B corps at the time.

The music and pageantry of '78 SCV was so complex and interesting for its era, I think all drum corps fans can find something cool in that show.

I don't agree, but I see your point. SCV was not known as having a powerful hornline like that of BD, Phantom or Spirit in those days. SCV's strengths were being solid and innovative with GE, drums, and M&M. However, they tied for 3rd in horns which is not horrible and probably kept them in the hunt with BD and Phantom for 1st.

See Kevin, you just had to bait me. :happy: Trying hard not to sound like a"homer," 4th in horns was the gift that kept on giving. 9.9 in MA, with that performance, was also, well, generous. :w00t:

Madison was hosed in brass, though, MA was probably accurate.

But hey, it's 30 years, later, I'm over it! :smile:

My comment about weakest had nothing to do with power.

If anything the SCV hornlines of that era did a much better job with dynamics than most others.

The '78 line struggled with the book and technique the whole season.

I saw them 4 different times and they just never seemed to jell.

...and Rocketman, please go on, you already know how I feel about your corps during that time. :happy:

My memory of Santa Clara in '78 is finally getting to see "The Bottle Dance" performed by the entire guard at finals (this was the first year the entire guard did it). I still get goosebumps thinking about it. That, and the subtlety of their program. Most shows back then were all about smacking you over the head with impact, but Santa Clara's show had a flow to it that blew me away. That emotional memory stays with me to this day, but the telecast video doesn't even begin to do it justice.

If anything the SCV hornlines of that era did a much better job with dynamics than most others.

...and Rocketman, please go on, you already know how I feel about your corps during that time. :happy:

Nope! Not gonna do it (biting tongue)

Edited by Rocketman

My memory of Santa Clara in '78 is finally getting to see "The Bottle Dance" performed by the entire guard at finals (this was the first year the entire guard did it). I still get goosebumps thinking about it. That, and the subtlety of their program. Most shows back then were all about smacking you over the head with impact, but Santa Clara's show had a flow to it that blew me away. That emotional memory stays with me to this day, but the telecast video doesn't even begin to do it justice.

Agreed. Bringing back "The Bottle Dance" was a big hit that year. The guard really came through for them.

n644324714_1040990_6266.jpg

Jingle sticks!!!! Where's Mom??? :happy:

He is on the left end of the line.

I'd more or less agree with that ... And I've never seen a horn book that was butchered as much as that one over the course of the season (Gayne Ballet was practically skeletal by the time they were finished.)

The also had some huge marching problems in finals.

It's still one of my favorite shows from that period ... Largely owing to Fred Sanford's percussion book and the line that played it.