1978 Santa Clara Vanguard

I'd more or less agree with that ... And I've never seen a horn book that was butchered as much as that one over the course of the season (Gayne Ballet was practically skeletal by the time they were finished.)

The also had some huge marching problems in finals.

It's still one of my favorite shows from that period ... Largely owing to Fred Sanford's percussion book and the line that played it.

Yet was only .05 away from 1st in M&M AND got a 10 in GE M&M? :happy::thumbdown::smile::happy::smile:(thank you Shirley) :tongue::w00t::w00t: Tongue biting resumed!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet was only .05 away from 1st in M&M AND got a 10 in GE M&M? :happy::thumbdown::smile::happy::smile:(thank you Shirley) :tongue::w00t::w00t: Tongue biting resumed!

Funny how things worked out sometimes back in the day.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Funny how things worked out sometimes back in the day.

Yeah. NOT! There was probably a chance that any judge, other than Shirley, would have given a score that actually reflected the performance. But Shirley, without a doubt, the BIGGEST SCV homer alive at that time, was incapable of seeing past her bias, thus rewarding an inferior performance with a score associated with perfection? She is, and always will be, the thorn under my flesh. If she happens to be alive, I better stop now and start resumption of my tongue biting.

Indeed. They played "The Pirates of Lake Malaguena," "City of Ice Castles," and "Slaughter in Blue Avenue," I believe.

The Encore piece was "Never Walk in McArthur Park Alone Part Dos".

Edited by Scerpella

Madison was hosed in brass, though, MA was probably accurate.

But hey, it's 30 years, later, I'm over it! :happy:

You know, at the time nobody was particularly po'ed about being 4th. You know in the week preceding DCI where youre going to end up and we knew 3rd was the absolute highest we could aspire to in 78. Having said that when I look back at the videos and listen to the DCI Legacy CD's I cannot find a single thing Scouts were NOT rock solid in in 1978 apart from the silly choice of Disco Star Wars/How Deep is your Love closer. And even that we played well. The Drum line was kicking, (12 snares) ((I think I have read Mancini say as much too)) the horn line was clean as a whistle, especially in comparison to to SCV and BD, the guard was at the top of its game and the corps marching was superb. I look back at pictures that turn up on DCP and other places and the forms are perfection.

In fact much as I hate to admit it, the only other top 4 corps that rose in my estimation over the years was Phantom. Thru post 2000 eyes I think it should have been PR, MS, SCV, BD. But since I cannot bend time and space to attempt to right that wrong I'm pretty content with the fact at one point or another that year each of the top four had beat all the others. Blue Stars btw should have been no less than 5th in 78. Bridgmen had a great musical show but their visual show was ridiculously easy even for 1978.

All in all 78 was a fantastic year, a great one to age out in.

You know, at the time nobody was particularly po'ed about being 4th. You know in the week preceding DCI where youre going to end up and we knew 3rd was the absolute highest we could aspire to in 78. Having said that when I look back at the videos and listen to the DCI Legacy CD's I cannot find a single thing Scouts were NOT rock solid in in 1978 apart from the silly choice of Disco Star Wars/How Deep is your Love closer. And even that we played well. The Drum line was kicking, (12 snares) ((I think I have read Mancini say as much too)) the horn line was clean as a whistle, especially in comparison to to SCV and BD, the guard was at the top of its game and the corps marching was superb. I look back at pictures that turn up on DCP and other places and the forms are perfection.

In fact much as I hate to admit it, the only other top 4 corps that rose in my estimation over the years was Phantom. Thru post 2000 eyes I think it should have been PR, MS, SCV, BD. But since I cannot bend time and space to attempt to right that wrong I'm pretty content with the fact at one point or another that year each of the top four had beat all the others. Blue Stars btw should have been no less than 5th in 78. Bridgmen had a great musical show but their visual show was ridiculously easy even for 1978.

All in all 78 was a fantastic year, a great one to age out in.

I personally believe the top 4 should all have been within a point of one another. Disco aside, Madison should have scored at least a 90.75! :happy:

Yeah. NOT! There was probably a chance that any judge, other than Shirley, would have given a score that actually reflected the performance. But Shirley, without a doubt, the BIGGEST SCV homer alive at that time, was incapable of seeing past her bias, thus rewarding an inferior performance with a score associated with perfection? She is, and always will be, the thorn under my flesh. If she happens to be alive, I better stop now and start resumption of my tongue biting.

Yeah, we encountered a few judges like that too. Sometimes we thought they were biased and other times we thought they were just plain crazy. Man, the things you have to live with! :happy:

Ah, the Shirley stories I've heard over the years. Seems they continued all the way into the 80's, probably longer. I'm not so sure it was a pro-SCV thing as much as an anti-Regiment thing. Jeez, Jeff, what did you guys do to #### her off so much?

Hotel in Bloomington - $350

Rental Car - $175

Fanta5tic Ticket Package - $580

Souvies at Championships week - $300

Airfare - OK, we fly cheap.

Shirley Whitcomb not judging - Priceless

Honorable Mention - Marie Czapinski judging Open Class

Garry in Vegas

Yeah, we encountered a few judges like that too. Sometimes we thought they were biased and other times we thought they were just plain crazy. Man, the things you have to live with! :tongue:

Whitcomb also was not a Madison fan in 77-78.

Ah, the Shirley stories I've heard over the years. Seems they continued all the way into the 80's, probably longer. I'm not so sure it was a pro-SCV thing as much as an anti-Regiment thing. Jeez, Jeff, what did you guys do to #### her off so much?

Hotel in Bloomington - $350

Rental Car - $175

Fanta5tic Ticket Package - $580

Souvies at Championships week - $300

Airfare - OK, we fly cheap.

Shirley Whitcomb not judging - Priceless

Honorable Mention - Marie Czapinski judging Open Class

Garry in Vegas

Gary:

It was definately "anti-Regiment," but probably a combination of the two.

Shirley was a simple girl, in a simple world. Unfortunately, Shirley was incapable of seeing past her own bias. In Shirley’s world, there were corps from the west coast and then there was everyone else. Not to say that Shirley was a “bad person”, as she certainly had no problem awarding those she “liked.” In what should have been a bias blind activity, the only one blinded was she, by her partiality. Unfortunately, her obvious favoritism reached it’s zenith on August 18, 1978 .

Disclaimer, these facts are based on the 76-78 seasons and pertain to her obvious disdain for all things Phantom Regiment.

Show / Shirley’s Placement / Comment

76 DCI Finals / 6th / Was 3rd in prelims

77 DCI Prelims / 5th / Was 2nd at finals

78 CYO / 5th / Behind freaking Crossmen! (no dissing intended)

78 Midwest Finals / 3rd / Behind BD & SCV

78 DCI Finals / 6th / 3rd in prelims 1 tenth behind SCV. Dumped 4 tenths thanks to Shirley, costing us a championship.

Thanks Shirley, luv ya!

In all the shows where Ms. Whitcomb was “judging”, the Regiment NEVER beat either BD or SCV in GE M&M. However, in ’76 the Regiment took that caption over both at Mid-west prelims. With another individual judging GE M&M, the Regiment scored higher than SCV at 77 Finals.

Where's my tongue?

Edited by Rocketman