1978 Santa Clara Vanguard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the correction Hooked.

How could I have missed the obvious? :happy:

In 1976 after the Tournament of Stars, the home show and debut of the "new and improved" Bridgemen, Bobby Hoffman told the corps about a conversation he had with the judges. "The guy says I've got a bunch of apples and this one orange, I don't know what to do with it."

Without a beat, a voice shot from the crowd, "Tell him to eat it!"

Gotta' respect the hit-and-run.

i got 26 years of videos 2 months ago...takes time to view...last contest i was at was 1983...since i was sitting in the stands 78, i'll have look at 78 in a few days and maybe critique here later...i'm canadian and edmontonian :) peace

Nice!!!!

In 1976 after the Tournament of Stars, the home show and debut of the "new and improved" Bridgemen, Bobby Hoffman told the corps about a conversation he had with the judges. "The guy says I've got a bunch of apples and this one orange, I don't know what to do with it."

Without a beat, a voice shot from the crowd, "Tell him to eat it!"

Gotta' respect the hit-and-run.

she is, and always will be, the thorn under my flesh. If she happens to be alive, I better stop now and start resumption of my tongue biting.

You could contact the 1979 Sacramento Freelancers and have a tongue biting fest. :worthy:

As for Shirley giving the homer one up, I never heard that. I just knew her as a judge-no more, no less. As to the marching problems at Finals. I'll have to go back and look at the DVD. It was said that at the time: BD, SCV and Phantom had the best M&M. You guys were 1 and 2 in prelims. Did Shirley judge that show? Butchered horns? Probably got the hose down before Finals. Nothing new.

The way I look at it, it was a tight race at DCI in '78. It looks like the scores reflect a virtual deadlock between SCV, Phantom and BD with Madison close behind. It could've been anyone's baby. No? I think that SCV won that year as they usually do: win drums, marching and GE, while trying to stay competetive in horns.

I love the '78 SCV corps as I marched with a lot of them. I'm also glad to know you RM. I competed against you in junior corps and marched with you at the KAC. I can't say that of too many people! :worthy:

As for Shirley giving the homer one up, I never heard that. I just knew her as a judge-no more, no less.

Right or wrong, Shirlee Whitcomb does have a reputation for playing favorites. I wouldn't say it's so much giving one for the "home" team but favoring styles she liked. I can remember a friend of mine in Cavies claiming (with a whole lotta conviction) that Shirlee didn't like them, and my guard instructor saying she liked us. It's hardly scientific proof; basically it boils down to individual perception, and that perception taking on a life of its own the more people talk about it.

That's why I've never been swayed by the "politics" argument. It may be true, but it's so hard to prove that in the end, I feel like it's wasted energy to keep trying to prove that through argument. After all, we do have a subjective judging system. So why are people surprised when the judging is subjective?

And, for that matter, why don't we complain when the subjectivity skews in our favor? *shrug*

Right or wrong, Shirlee Whitcomb does have a reputation for playing favorites. I wouldn't say it's so much giving one for the "home" team but favoring styles she liked. I can remember a friend of mine in Cavies claiming (with a whole lotta conviction) that Shirlee didn't like them, and my guard instructor saying she liked us. It's hardly scientific proof; basically it boils down to individual perception, and that perception taking on a life of its own the more people talk about it.

That's why I've never been swayed by the "politics" argument. It may be true, but it's so hard to prove that in the end, I feel like it's wasted energy to keep trying to prove that through argument. After all, we do have a subjective judging system. So why are people surprised when the judging is subjective?

And, for that matter, why don't we complain when the subjectivity skews in our favor? *shrug*

I'll take it one step further. Shirlee was a good soldier. If Angelica told her what to like, she liked it ... Same was true of most of the "opinion leaders" in the judging arena back then.

Face it. It was a different time back then ... And not always in a warm-and-fuzzy sense of nostalgia kind of way.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Judges, judges. We never knew our judges' names back in the day of the "tic" I think we were just naive or their names weren't published because there could be a death in the parking lot. (Or two some shows!) But as to 1978 and Santa Clara. I think that is one of the best on the field ever. The Gayne Ballet pieces do it for me But I liked them from back a decade or so before when they were smart enough to play Mas Que Nada!

Puppet

You could contact the 1979 Sacramento Freelancers and have a tongue biting fest. :smile:

As for Shirley giving the homer one up, I never heard that. I just knew her as a judge-no more, no less. As to the marching problems at Finals. I'll have to go back and look at the DVD. It was said that at the time: BD, SCV and Phantom had the best M&M. You guys were 1 and 2 in prelims. Did Shirley judge that show? Butchered horns? Probably got the hose down before Finals. Nothing new.

The way I look at it, it was a tight race at DCI in '78. It looks like the scores reflect a virtual deadlock between SCV, Phantom and BD with Madison close behind. It could've been anyone's baby. No? I think that SCV won that year as they usually do: win drums, marching and GE, while trying to stay competetive in horns.

I love the '78 SCV corps as I marched with a lot of them. I'm also glad to know you RM. I competed against you in junior corps and marched with you at the KAC. I can't say that of too many people! :tongue:

Kevin:

Ms. Shirley/Shirlie/Surley, etc,

At Prelims it went this way for GE M&M;

SCV 9.9

27 9.9

PR 9.8

BD 9.7

Mad 9.7

The judge was some guy named Johnson (no joke) (Just an FYI, our M&M show at prelims was, to us, bad)

At finals, the esteemed Ms. Whitcomb saw it this way

SCV 10 (with a sub par show?)

27 9.9

BD 9.8

Bmen 9.8 (9.4 in prelims)

Mad 9.7

PR 9.6

So, I guess maybe it wasn't homerism, but, what was it then?

But hey, like I said it's over, we have our 1.5 championships, and I'm a happy camper! :smile: