The new Nashville Drum Corps is getting off the ground!

http://www.nashvilledrumcorps.org/

Come be part of the excitement!

In 2009 Music City drum and bugle corps will take the field with Drum corps International’s elite. This collection of 150 talented young people will travel the country representing Nashville in a fashion worthy of it’s musical heritage. Auditions will be held at John Overton H.S. in Nashville on Saturday, November 29, 2008.

The audition info says that you have to be a HS senior to audition, though. I haven't heard anything about this corps from DCI yet, but it says they're ready for DCI competition.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High school senior? Not gonna work, especially since they just confirmed their own existence a few weeks before their auditions. (EDIT: actually I just read that they've had the site up for a couple of months with a few hundred peole showing interest, but still most statistics show that only a fraction of them are actually going to show up to the audition and an even smaller fraction of those few will end up marching).

Even some of the top World Class corps have or had juniors and even sophomores. And no brand-new corps is going to have ages 17+ and expect to get enough people to actually field a corps.

That being said, I wish them the best of luck this year!

Edited by MetalTones2012

Even some of the top World Class corps have or had juniors and even sophomores. And no brand-new corps is going to have ages 17+ and expect to get enough people to actually field a corps.

...and your assumptions are based on what? Do you know anything about the people involved? Do you know anything about what they're intending to do?

I'm a sophomore music major from Cookeville, and there have been several of us doing their viral advertising at Tech for over a month now. There are tons of college students around here who can't afford to go off and join a corps far away (A problem I've been having for years...), and I expect that the feeling is the same amongst most people our age. And a 10 dollar audition fee for a day camp only twenty minutes from my most of our houses? They might not have a lot of people sign up, but there really is no reason for a ton of kids to not stop by and at least check it out for a day. If they are as impressive in running the corps as they have been in getting word around, I think they'll do OK.

Edited by SMLogue

...and your assumptions are based on what? Do you know anything about the people involved? Do you know anything about what they're intending to do?

Which assumption are you talking about? Corps having younger kids or not getting members?

The first one I base on the fact that I actually know people in high school who march World Class. Also, if you look at the All-American Marching Band roster all of those kids are currently seniors, which means that anybody there that has marched World Class did it as a junior or younger.

As for the second one, you got me. :tongue: At the time I was thinking that it's literally impossible, but after more research and reading all of these replies I'm changing that to just improbable. I don't know what college life is like in Nashville, but even if they get 300+ members of the appropriate age at the audition the chances of them having more than say 80-90 members at finals are very, very slim.

And again, best of luck to them this summer. I'm not even trying to save my ### here, I really mean it. No matter how a corps is run I want nothing less than eternal fortune for them and the kids that sacrifice their summers to entertain us.

Edited by MetalTones2012

Hey man, new competition is always welcomed!!!

New additions to the class should always be welcomed......

http://www.nashvilledrumcorps.org/

Come be part of the excitement!

In 2009 Music City drum and bugle corps will take the field with Drum corps International's elite. This collection of 150 talented young people will travel the country representing Nashville in a fashion worthy of it's musical heritage. Auditions will be held at John Overton H.S. in Nashville on Saturday, November 29, 2008.

The audition info says that you have to be a HS senior to audition, though. I haven't heard anything about this corps from DCI yet, but it says they're ready for DCI competition.

Good luck Music City. It's only appropriate that the music city should have a drum corps. They have a nice stadium too!

Boy, does THAT limit the corps. Only HS seniors can audition? What about potential members who are in college? :tongue:

Phone rings...picks up phone and listens..."What? Oooohhhhh.....never mind." :worthy: