DCP Members in non-DCA Senior Circuits

Do you mean the Maumee Demons, of Toledo, Ohio? They would eventually spawn the Maumee Suns/Glass City Optimists/Glassmen.

I've seen references to a Midwest Senior Association. This, from Corpsreps.com, might be an example of their shows:

Sunday September 5, 1965

Racine WI Midwest senior Drum Corps Championship

Position Corps Score

1 Maumee Demons 61.220

2 Kenosha Kingsmen 59.400

3 Boys of 76 57.280

4 Hamms Indians 54.350

5 Men of Brass 47.070

6 Spirit of St. Louis 43.650

7 St. Clair Shores Vanguard 35.030

Robert

The MSA existed from 1965-1969. Other members included the Fairborn OH Lancers, Chicago's Zientek Diplomats, the eternally unflappable Govenaires, and the Laidlaw Toreadors who are now known as MBI. The Pittsburg Rockets were annual participants (and winners) at the Maumee show, and the Erie Thunderbirds came out for the 1968 Championships. The Demons, by virtue of a powerhouse drumline, won all five championships. Close on their heels were the flip-flopping Kingsmen and Boys of 76.

:shutup:

Now THERE are some names from the closet...Especially the Hamm's Indians..

Between 69 and 77, there wasn't much going on as far as a "circuit" in our part of the world..When I joined MBI, we had the local Legion & VFW shows and the occasional appearance in shows with some of the Midwest junior corps..Since '76 didn't field a corps in '72, I never saw them until '75 at Legion Nationals here in Minneapolis.

MBI made it's heralded trips to RCA in 74-75, but size kept them very small in 76.

In '77, they started the Midstates Senior Association with Brass, the Govies, '76, the Chicago Connection and the Spirit of St. Louis. Each corps hosted a show, with '76 having the honor of hosting the 1st Championship show in late August. The folks in St. Louis folded in late May or early June IIRC, so up until our management decided to go to DCA..the trip to Wheeling was the long trip of the season. Had to do a standstill in the HS fieldhouse because of the rain..

The circuit lasted 3 seasons and as the Chicago guys stopped operating, they found a new home a year or so later with DCM..MBI went on to do the ICA thing in 83-84, finally returning to DCA in 85.

I'm still trying to find a copy of the 83 & 84 ICA shows from Towson..anybody know who might have a tape version? I'd be willing to pay for a copy.. :thumbup:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there use to be a Drum Corps Mag. " Called off the line", that conscentrated on the NY-Penn or maybe it was NY-Canandian.

Yes I remember "Off the Line" magazine. Book type with an orange cover. Some reporters names from the mag. are Bill and Betty Waters, Ian Stott, Don J. Mountford and that all my memory will produce

Edited by John Scott

Midwestarticle.jpg

The Buick Skylarks were the predecessors to the corps in my area.

Edited by GrewvyG2

"Off The Line" did indeed highlight the NY/Canadian Drum Corps Assn... Betty and Joe Waters (not bill) were the primaries... and although Betty was one STRONG woman and didn't take any crap from anyone... she loved Vince Bruni and did much work with him and for him. Many a night was spent at the Waters home running errands for Vince.

:cool:

Between 69 and 77, there wasn't much going on as far as a "circuit" in our part of the world..When I joined MBI, we had the local Legion & VFW shows and the occasional appearance in shows with some of the Midwest junior corps..Since '76 didn't field a corps in '72, I never saw them until '75 at Legion Nationals here in Minneapolis.

MBI made it's heralded trips to RCA in 74-75, but size kept them very small in 76.

I believe MBI attended the RCA anual meeting in 1973 as they appeared at our show that year but not the championship. To be a member corps Brass would of had to hold a contest. To facilitate their entry into RCA for the 1974 season we negotiated with the Bandettes ( all girl jr corps) to have Brass co-sponcor a RCA show in Sault Ste Marie Ontario.:

SUDBURY, Ont July 28/73 Nothern Fanfare

Erie Thunderbirds 62.70

Brass Inc. 56.25

Suburban Knights 52.70

Imperial Knights 51.95

Kawartha Kavaliers 51.65

Exhibition: Bandettes,Blue Saints

As non RCA corps could be invited to fill an empty spot at a contest Spirit of 76 were participants in the 1974 shows

SUDBURY, Ont July 27/04 Northern Fanfare

Erie Thunderbirds 71.20

Brass, Inc. 68.15

Suburban Knights 58.90

Imperial Knights 57.30

Spirit of 76 54.75

Exhibition:Bandettes, Blue Saints

SAULT STE MARIE, Ont July 28/04 Steeltown Brass

Brass, Inc. 72.35

Suburban Knights 59.15

Imperial Knights 58.35

Spirit of 76 51.20

Exhibition:Bandettes

Edited by John Scott

• 2 weeks later...
Do you mean the Maumee Demons, of Toledo, Ohio? They would eventually spawn the Maumee Suns/Glass City Optimists/Glassmen.

I've seen references to a Midwest Senior Association. This, from Corpsreps.com, might be an example of their shows:

Sunday September 5, 1965

Racine WI Midwest senior Drum Corps Championship

Position Corps Score

1 Maumee Demons 61.220

2 Kenosha Kingsmen 59.400

3 Boys of 76 57.280

4 Hamms Indians 54.350

5 Men of Brass 47.070

6 Spirit of St. Louis 43.650

7 St. Clair Shores Vanguard 35.030

Robert

I just happen to have the 1966 MSA Championships held in Waukeegan,Ill scores, and reteat on cd.Anybody interested in a copy(29.05 min) contact me at Win32686Fl@aol.com.I got this from the director of the Demons Al Spencer who has a good collection taken from his old Norelco recorder.

Jeff :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
RCA and ICA with Interstatesmen, Vagabonds, Noble Callahan and Capital Brass Ensemble, in the 70's 80's and 90's.

I remember some very good, entertaining and competitive corps' on the circuits.

dont forget the "Ohio Brass Factory" from Alliance,Ohio.lots of talent from that corps went on to other DCA corps,later on in the 80s and 90s. (dare I say) :music:

RCA and ICA with Interstatesmen, Vagabonds, Noble Callahan and Capital Brass Ensemble, in the 70's 80's and 90's.

I remember some very good, entertaining and competitive corps' on the circuits.

:music: Hairbear...

I meant that I was with these corps in RCA and MCA. I didn't mean THESE were the entertaining corps I was remembering!

That was a separate comment.. recalling Ohio Brass Factory, Cru, Empire, York White Roses, Hanover Lancers, Royalaires, Erie, et al.

Fun times!

:music: Hairbear...

I meant that I was with these corps in RCA and MCA. I didn't mean THESE were the entertaining corps I was remembering!

That was a separate comment.. recalling Ohio Brass Factory, Cru, Empire, York White Roses, Hanover Lancers, Royalaires, Erie, et al.

Fun times!

ohhhh...OKAY! :w00t: