DCP Members in non-DCA Senior Circuits

Prior to ICA and RCA and DCA there were a few Sr. Circuits I can think of ... the largest and most widely know was probably the Northeast Circuit (MA) fom the 50's-60's, which produced corps like the Hurcs, CT Yankees, Sunrisers, Marksmen, Carver Gay Blades, Amboy Dukes and many more ... then you had the Interstate Circuit (NJ) which had Carver, Red Devils and maybe even Sky for a bit in 60-61 ... in CT/MA/RI there was the Yankee Circuit with no powerhouse corps but, a nice contigent of weekend warriors like the Holy Rosary Caballeros, Charter Oak Sabres, RI Musketeers, etc. ... I'm almost sure there was a Circuit in Upstate NY/Canada for the likes on the Interstatesmen, Gray Knights, Crusaders, Ambassadors, Commanders, Guelph Royalaires, Geneva, etc. ... the midwest had some pre-DCA corps (Kenosha Kingsmen, Maumee Deamons, Lamplighters, etc.) but, I'm not sure if the had a actual Circuit ...

Good topic Jim!!!

Let's get some other responses from the South and West ...

Andy "time to get out the old DCN's" Lisko

"Getting Out the Old DCN's";

Way out west they did have some "Seniors", going all the way back into the 1920's. The Hawthorne Caballeros were actually "Patterened" after a "California Cab's" from San Joaquim. Denver had the Centenial Grenidiers, Albaqurque had the "Dukes", and Sheridan Wyoming had (And still has BTW) the 7th Cavalry. The "7th" (Complete with General Custer as DM) showed up at an American Legion Nationals "Way Back" in the early 1960's. Stockton of the 1960's CA had it's "Caballeros" also. Chicago had the three times Legion Champions Skokie Indians, and the Demons called Maumee IA home.

I can't find any "Circuits" for "Seniors" west of the Mississippi, but I'm pretty sure that there was "Someplace" that they could compete. There were "Senior" State Championships, and many of those "Far West" corps did make the trip to the Veterans Nationals.

Just doing some "research"... :thumbup:

Elphaba

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim owes John a drink as the Westernport show was one of the reasons I thought of this thread. Was checking into Hershey Chocolatier info and was told they were at Westernport in 1979. Pretty sure RCA ended in 1978 and ICA started 1980 so I was wondering if this was a "circuit" show or the corps had a show by themselves.

Oh yeah, I did RCA 75-77 (1977 Westshore made top 10 in DCA so $$$ shows from then on :thumbup: ) and was at 1976 RCA Champs in Erie. Did ICA shows 1985 (saw Empire Statesmen) and was at the ICA Champs (aka Monsoon Fest) at (again) Erie. Trying to remember who was at ICA in 1985 and can only remember Westshore, Guelph Royalaires and maybe Roch Crusaders.

Lancers were part of some pre-RCA small corps circuits and will have to check. Only name that comes to mind is Penn-Mar (PA/MD). And Fleetwood has at least one early 1960s Champs recording for sale (Northeast Circuit?) .

The reference to Westernport brought back some memories. It seems there was a paper mill there.

Independent Show - Westernport MD June 23, 1960

Buccaneers-------------------90.60

Gardner Guards--------------83.90

West Newton-Mt Pleasant----78.20

Latrobe Colonials-------------74.20

Appleknockers...................73.60

Donnie :tongue:

Was in RCA 1972 to 1975. I remeber the NY/Canadian Championships held in Hamilton, Ont in the 60's. It was both SR and JR if I remember corectly plus I have some 8MM home movies of that show packed away. Also there were the Canadian Drum Corps Association and the Ontario Drum Corps Associations that were not circuits per say, they did hold championships.

yup. i competed in the ny/ canadian championships. the show also was held in rochester. it was a fun time. BTW we never lost when we competed. all the canadian corps put on their best shows for that. very cool indeed.

Chicago had the three times Legion Champions Skokie Indians, and the Demons called Maumee IA home.

I can't find any "Circuits" for "Seniors" west of the Mississippi, but I'm pretty sure that there was "Someplace" that they could compete.

Elphaba

Do you mean the Maumee Demons, of Toledo, Ohio? They would eventually spawn the Maumee Suns/Glass City Optimists/Glassmen.

I've seen references to a Midwest Senior Association. This, from Corpsreps.com, might be an example of their shows:

Sunday September 5, 1965

Racine WI Midwest senior Drum Corps Championship

Position Corps Score

1 Maumee Demons 61.220

2 Kenosha Kingsmen 59.400

3 Boys of 76 57.280

4 Hamms Indians 54.350

5 Men of Brass 47.070

6 Spirit of St. Louis 43.650

7 St. Clair Shores Vanguard 35.030

Robert

OK, back before my time.....

Penn-Mar (Pennsylvania/Maryland) Circuit - 1951-? lot of local PA and MD Sr corps. Surprising to me as I think MD Senior corps I only think of Yankee-Rebels and the competing corps left about 30 years ago.

Interstate Circuit - 1964-? Bit of trivia here as a show (Championships?) was held indoors at the Farm Show building in Harrisburg. Farm Show main arena is not as wide as a football field so drill had to be changed in spots. Short steps in company fronts IIRC.

The only other senior corps that came from Maryland that I remember was the Freestatesmen from Cumberland Md. They competed in RCA for a few years. Also remember the Gardenstatesmen from somewhere in NJ(also RCA).After reading thru this topic I seem to remember the Northeast Circuit also. Also remember competing at the Allentown fair on a small dirt track at the fairgrounds.

I've seen references to a Midwest Senior Association. This, from Corpsreps.com, might be an example of their shows:

Sunday September 5, 1965

Racine WI Midwest senior Drum Corps Championship

1 Maumee Demons 61.220

2 Kenosha Kingsmen 59.400

3 Boys of 76 57.280

4 Hamms Indians 54.350

5 Men of Brass 47.070

6 Spirit of St. Louis 43.650

7 St. Clair Shores Vanguard 35.03

The MSA existed from 1965-1969. Other members included the Fairborn OH Lancers, Chicago's Zientek Diplomats, the eternally unflappable Govenaires, and the Laidlaw Toreadors who are now known as MBI. The Pittsburg Rockets were annual participants (and winners) at the Maumee show, and the Erie Thunderbirds came out for the 1968 Championships. The Demons, by virtue of a powerhouse drumline, won all five championships. Close on their heels were the flip-flopping Kingsmen and Boys of 76.

NY-Penn wasn't really a circuit. It was an association that catered to alot of drum corps, baton corps in Western NY and the Erie/Bradford, PA area. I remember competing in their championships and parades. They also were big in the drill team area too. Sadly the only thing that still runs is the judging association headed by John Hathaway. I judged from 1989 till I left NY almost 5 years ago, it wasn't the same as it was back in the 1970's seeing Harry Beasely, Fred Johnson and others judging.

Hey all,

I also judged for the All-American judges and there was a NY/Penn Circuit....Lake Erie Circuit....and maybe an OH/Penn Circuit......We also judged some Midwest contest for Legion/VFW regional shows.....I would have to go back to the books and see what was the year the Philly VFW....Bus fumes have clouded the memory but I recall going from room to room @ the hotel getting beer from bathtub for free from VFW post/members....One of the best parts of the early circuits were the after show parties....Nearly every drumcorps had some type of gathering at a club/picnic grove/hall/VFW-Legion....I remember something (convention/parade) in Shomokin, Pa where the Verona Cavaliers went from bar to bar to bar playing what we called "shirt-tails" as an encore for the many fans.....(Please don't tell my dad I was drinking, thanks)....Some really great memories and I got the opportunity to meet some super people....

Edit: P.S. - You are correct Jim, Hershey was at the show and it was a sanction AIDC performance.....Westernport Blue Angels (Rod McDowell) sponsored the show and they had a party @ VFW overlooking the creek just down the road....

Just my $.02 worth....Enjoy the music.....

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

NY-Penn wasn't really a circuit. It was an association that catered to alot of drum corps, baton corps in Western NY and the Erie/Bradford, PA area. I remember competing in their championships and parades. They also were big in the drill team area too. Sadly the only thing that still runs is the judging association headed by John Hathaway. I judged from 1989 till I left NY almost 5 years ago, it wasn't the same as it was back in the 1970's seeing Harry Beasely, Fred Johnson and others judging.

Carbone,........................he used to judge us at the Ny-Penn parades.........................we hated that guy,................not sure why,,............. but when we got to whatever town and we found out he was judging, we knew we were in for a tough adjudication,.....................

• 4 weeks later...

Keith you are thinking of Hawthaways NY-Penn. These guys are going way before that. It was a circuit. The last Championship I remember in Rochester has a prelim and probably 20 Corps Jrs and SRs. I think there use to be a Drum Corps Mag. " Called off the line", that conscentrated on the NY-Penn or maybe it was NY-Canandian.

Peashey and there T-birds will know they are much older than I am. They probably were there at it's start.

Edited by Rap48