DCP Members in non-DCA Senior Circuits

Spent parts of the last few days going over information on two Senior corps circuits that no longer exist. More I looked, more I realized what is out there is sometimes contradictory and in pieces. And as we all get older the people who remember this stuff (sometimes remember badly) are getting smaller in number and harder to find.

So if any DCP members marched in a circuit other than DCI or you know something about them, here's your chance to share and save some history. This might be our best chance to let the newer members learn about the path Drum Corps traveled to get where it is today.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent parts of the last few days going over information on two Senior corps circuits that no longer exist. More I looked, more I realized what is out there is sometimes contradictory and in pieces. And as we all get older the people who remember this stuff (sometimes remember badly) are getting smaller in number and harder to find.

So if any DCP members marched in a circuit other than DCI or you know something about them, here's your chance to share and save some history. This might be our best chance to let the newer members learn about the path Drum Corps traveled to get where it is today.

:tongue: I might be going out on a limb here, but my guess is one circuit was RCA. RCA was a really neat circuit that played smaller corps in front of smaller venues. I believe it was born at the Red Carpet Lounge in Harrisburg. Some really good people and corps were members.(I also believe RCA members got real shafts at DCA). Going out on a limb again another senior circuit may have been the Garden States.(only about 40% sure about that). I also remember VFW States in Philly.(WBS) After winning we went to some swank Hotel downtown and did a victory concert. I don't recall for sure but it may have been 1969 or 1970. I seem to remember the Verona Cavaliers, York White Roses Jrs, maybe the Rockets, Sentinels and Lancers. Seems to me that the number of corps was smaller, but we won and this 15 year old high school kid got to do some serious celebrating and the rest is pretty fuzzy. Hope more people reply, who knows some really Good stories may appear

Hey Jim,

I personnally marched within three lesser senior circuits during my time in drumcorps....RCA circuit, ICA circuit, and the AIDC circuit....Most people are aware of RCA/ICA but not many people know about the AIDC circuit.....This was an (Audience Involved Drumcorps Competition).....No judges per say, in the program book you got @ the door when you entered the show was a scoresheet for you to enter your scores and favorite drumcorps....You passed the page into the center and everything was added up and a winner was declared.....I only remember partaking within two shows in the circuit.....Westernport Maryland with Tyrone, Blue Angels, Verona Cavaliers, maybe Yankee Rebels and the Sharpsburg Ambassadors in exhibition.....Getting the bus up that hill to the field was really something and the grass had grown up to your shins.....I think the other show was someplace like N. Huntingdon or Clearfield, Pa.....

I was marching with the Verona Cavaliers @ the state VFW's in Philly....

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

Hey Jim,

I personnally marched within three lesser senior circuits during my time in drumcorps....RCA circuit, ICA circuit, and the AIDC circuit....Most people are aware of RCA/ICA but not many people know about the AIDC circuit.....This was an (Audience Involved Drumcorps Competition).....No judges per say, in the program book you got @ the door when you entered the show was a scoresheet for you to enter your scores and favorite drumcorps....You passed the page into the center and everything was added up and a winner was declared.....I only remember partaking within two shows in the circuit.....Westernport Maryland with Tyrone, Blue Angels, Verona Cavaliers, maybe Yankee Rebels and the Sharpsburg Ambassadors in exhibition.....Getting the bus up that hill to the field was really something and the grass had grown up to your shins.....I think the other show was someplace like N. Huntingdon or Clearfield, Pa.....

I was marching with the Verona Cavaliers @ the state VFW's in Philly....

Pgh Guy Bari 2

John G

Extraordinaire :thumbup: Wow after all these years I got something right, you WERE there. What year was it? Don't remember the ICA thing, must have come in late 70's or something....Do you remember any other corps at VFW other than WBS and Verona. Did Westmoreland Esquires go? :tongue:

Prior to ICA and RCA and DCA there were a few Sr. Circuits I can think of ... the largest and most widely know was probably the Northeast Circuit (MA) fom the 50's-60's, which produced corps like the Hurcs, CT Yankees, Sunrisers, Marksmen, Carver Gay Blades, Amboy Dukes and many more ... then you had the Interstate Circuit (NJ) which had Carver, Red Devils and maybe even Sky for a bit in 60-61 ... in CT/MA/RI there was the Yankee Circuit with no powerhouse corps but, a nice contigent of weekend warriors like the Holy Rosary Caballeros, Charter Oak Sabres, RI Musketeers, etc. ... I'm almost sure there was a Circuit in Upstate NY/Canada for the likes on the Interstatesmen, Gray Knights, Crusaders, Ambassadors, Commanders, Guelph Royalaires, Geneva, etc. ... the midwest had some pre-DCA corps (Kenosha Kingsmen, Maumee Deamons, Lamplighters, etc.) but, I'm not sure if the had a actual Circuit ...

Good topic Jim!!!

Let's get some other responses from the South and West ...

Andy "time to get out the old DCN's" Lisko

AIDC circuit.....This was an (Audience Involved Drumcorps Competition).....No judges per say, in the program book you got @ the door when you entered the show was a scoresheet for you to enter your scores and favorite drumcorps....You passed the page into the center and everything was added up and a winner was declared.....I only remember partaking within two shows in the circuit.....Westernport Maryland with Tyrone, Blue Angels, Verona Cavaliers, maybe Yankee Rebels and the Sharpsburg Ambassadors in exhibition.....Getting the bus up that hill to the field was really something and the grass had grown up to your shins.....I think the other show was someplace like N. Huntingdon or Clearfield, Pa.....

Jim owes John a drink as the Westernport show was one of the reasons I thought of this thread. Was checking into Hershey Chocolatier info and was told they were at Westernport in 1979. Pretty sure RCA ended in 1978 and ICA started 1980 so I was wondering if this was a "circuit" show or the corps had a show by themselves.

Oh yeah, I did RCA 75-77 (1977 Westshore made top 10 in DCA so $$$ shows from then on :thumbup: ) and was at 1976 RCA Champs in Erie. Did ICA shows 1985 (saw Empire Statesmen) and was at the ICA Champs (aka Monsoon Fest) at (again) Erie. Trying to remember who was at ICA in 1985 and can only remember Westshore, Guelph Royalaires and maybe Roch Crusaders.

Lancers were part of some pre-RCA small corps circuits and will have to check. Only name that comes to mind is Penn-Mar (PA/MD). And Fleetwood has at least one early 1960s Champs recording for sale (Northeast Circuit?) .

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Hey all,

I also judged for the All-American judges and there was a NY/Penn Circuit....Lake Erie Circuit....and maybe an OH/Penn Circuit......We also judged some Midwest contest for Legion/VFW regional shows.....I would have to go back to the books and see what was the year the Philly VFW....Bus fumes have clouded the memory but I recall going from room to room @ the hotel getting beer from bathtub for free from VFW post/members....One of the best parts of the early circuits were the after show parties....Nearly every drumcorps had some type of gathering at a club/picnic grove/hall/VFW-Legion....I remember something (convention/parade) in Shomokin, Pa where the Verona Cavaliers went from bar to bar to bar playing what we called "shirt-tails" as an encore for the many fans.....(Please don't tell my dad I was drinking, thanks)....Some really great memories and I got the opportunity to meet some super people....

Edit: P.S. - You are correct Jim, Hershey was at the show and it was a sanction AIDC performance.....Westernport Blue Angels (Rod McDowell) sponsored the show and they had a party @ VFW overlooking the creek just down the road....

Just my $.02 worth....Enjoy the music.....

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

Edited by Pgh Guy2

Was in RCA 1972 to 1975. I remeber the NY/Canadian Championships held in Hamilton, Ont in the 60's. It was both SR and JR if I remember corectly plus I have some 8MM home movies of that show packed away. Also there were the Canadian Drum Corps Association and the Ontario Drum Corps Associations that were not circuits per say, they did hold championships.

DCA,and ICA with ohio brass factory,as you already know.jr.corps years were pre-DCI no circuit to speak of,but cincinnati had 5 or 6 corps within a 45 minute drive of eachother.we did a yearly round robin playing eachothers home shows,then went to VFW/AL STATE championships and U.S.OPEN,in Marion,Ohio,where we would come in dead last or next to last. gotta start somewhere,right? :thumbup:

OK, back before my time.....

Penn-Mar (Pennsylvania/Maryland) Circuit - 1951-? lot of local PA and MD Sr corps. Surprising to me as I think MD Senior corps I only think of Yankee-Rebels and the competing corps left about 30 years ago.

Interstate Circuit - 1964-? Bit of trivia here as a show (Championships?) was held indoors at the Farm Show building in Harrisburg. Farm Show main arena is not as wide as a football field so drill had to be changed in spots. Short steps in company fronts IIRC.