Bill of Rights

Jyri

/snip/

you will probably need to get a lawyer involved because most corps will not let you audition (or they'll let you audition, but won't accept you) if you have outstanding fees to another corps, so you're gonna want to get this settled now!

Yes, What really bothers me about the matter is that I had heard nothing since august. Now a week before auditions this pops up. I've already paid for audition materials from corps I was planning on auditioning for.

Not cool.

:tongue:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question still stands though:

Do members have specific and granted rights?

If so,

Where might one find them?

Even if they do, that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a lawyer. On the contrary, having "specific and granted rights" (whatever that means) usually means all the more that you should get one, since they usually require interpretation.

was with the corps less than 3 weeks, beginning june 26th to july 14.
3. I will pay the 2008 tour fee of Two Thousand Dollars ($2000.00) as agreed to the payment terms as follows:

a. $335.00 – due December 2007

b. $335.00 – due January 2008

c. $335.00 – due February 2008

d. $335.00 – due March 2008

e. $335.00 – due April 2008

f. $325.00 – due May 2008

I can receive a discount of $100.00 off my tour fee if I pay it in full by February 1st, 2008.

I also agree that the entire fee is to be paid up by no later than May 31st, at the Memorial Day Camp. Not following this schedule, may result in me giving up my spot in the corps.

4. After June 1st, 2008 – the tour fee is NON REFUNDABLE. Prior to June 1st, 2008, an amount of equal to two hundred dollars ($200) per rehearsal/camp, is NON REFUNDABLE. All requests for refunds must be done in writing and turned in to us by no later than August 31, 2008. Refunds (if any) will not be done until the end September 2008.

Hmm.... Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Dude, based on the tour fee payment schedule and the "NON-REFUNDABLE" clause, you owe the fee regardless of how many weeks you actually marched. If it goes to court, the judge will simply ask for the written contract, ask you if that is your signature on the original (which the corps most likely has), and then it's all over but the crying.

It would be like trying to get out of an apartment lease by saying you only actually lived there two weeks.....what counts is the contract that YOU signed.

Sorry.....welcome to the real world.

Dude, based on the tour fee payment schedule and the "NON-REFUNDABLE" clause, you owe the fee regardless of how many weeks you actually marched. If it goes to court, the judge will simply ask for the written contract, ask you if that is your signature on the original (which the corps most likely has), and then it's all over but the crying.

It would be like trying to get out of an apartment lease by saying you only actually lived there two weeks.....what counts is the contract that YOU signed.

Sorry.....welcome to the real world.

ait, thanks for the info guys.

Great to know DCI is prepping for the real world.

Edited by Jyri

This, it seems, is why corps expect (and should collect) their money before the summer.

These not-for-profit organizations on shoe-string budgets make assumptions and commitments based on the promise of members (and donors) to pay what they promised to pay. When someone doesn't fulfill his obligation, the organization suffers a loss it cannot replace.

I do not know the specifics of this case. I am certain, in general, that if this cavalier attitude regarding meeting obligations were commonplace, drum corps would be dealt a blow far worse than it could survive.

HH

So as a member of the corps that he has not named, and yes i do mean the velvet knights. He left after our second tour, where he was planning on going to march another corps that he thought was more prestigious because they have a title of world class. So he was making excuses to why he needed to leave. When he left he was told he had to finish paying his tour fee, and he also said he would be joining us on our last tour. When he left he owed money to the corps and he also had a pair of show shoes that he did not pay for that belong to our drum major, that as to my knowledge have yet to be returned. When the tour was all over he was contacted by the corps about paying off the rest of his tour fee. He was not just there for everydays and tour, because he was at about 3 to 5 camps that we had before the season started. I just thought everyone might want some more info on the subject. please feel free to pm me to ask me any questions about vk because it is an amazing organization with strong values and a great people running the organization.

2coolVK :thumbup:

Edited by VKsop8va

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here.

But quite honestly this sounds like an issue between the member and the corps.

DCP should NOT be a medium of which this issue is settled.

The jyri shouldn't have brought this issue up in this forum. But since he did, he should have at least arranged with a moderator to close the forum before it got out of hand. Which he obviously failed to do.

On the other hand, I am disappointed that VKsop8eva felt the need to qualify the corps and speak down about the member.

I will be reporting this thread.

This issue is not something that should be discussed on a public forum.

If you two wish to continue discussing matters please do it over emails or private messages.

I give best of luck to both parties.

I hope you find a suitable compromise that satisfies both groups.