• Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Troopers
    • Capital Regiment (?)
    • Not Marching because I'm too old
    • Not marching for any other reason
  2. 2. Are you traveling far to the auditions? (i.e out of state)

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm doing it by video

Got a call-back for January for The Cavaliers. :smile: :smile:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think you can make the cut? :smile:

I got a contract for a lifetime membership handed to me when i aged out, lol.

This poll is not be very scientific for a couple of reasons:

1. Many corps have camps this weekend, so these people will not answer.

2. Many corps members steer clear of DCP due to their corps' rules or due to the "attack dogs" known to prowl here.

attack dogs?

Just got back from Bluecoats camp in Austin, TX.

Why don't you guys just move down here? Seems to be working pretty well for Xmen...and Blooo's former drum staff seem to agree with that sentiment! :smile:

On another note...13 votes for Xmen at present...next closest is 9 for two corps! One is Jersey (surprise!), one is Madison (not a surprise, but a nice reversal of the last two years!). Promises to be an all-out war for 12th again! Plus Jersey steaming up from behind and two corps that just got bumped that undoubtedly want back in.

Should be REALLY fun for us old fogies in the stands who voted "too old"!!

If only more people had that kind of view on things, not caring about a corps actual placement in recent years in determining where to go, but rather the whole experience, the people, the education, etc. Its sad when a large number of people go to the "lower" corps just to get experience before going to a perennial powerhouse. Its disappointing, and that's what causes the "lower" corps to stay struggling competitively.

To play devil's advocate, everyone has different goals in mind. While it is nice to say that competition doesn't matter, it does. Do I wish the corps I marched with (Spirit) placed higher when I marched? Yes. There is way too much talent in that corps to be where it is. Not acceptable. Do I regret my years? Absolutely not. Is competition the only thing that matters? No. Does it not matter at all? No.

To play devil's advocate, everyone has different goals in mind. While it is nice to say that competition doesn't matter, it does. Do I wish the corps I marched with (Spirit) placed higher when I marched? Yes. There is way too much talent in that corps to be where it is. Not acceptable. Do I regret my years? Absolutely not. Is competition the only thing that matters? No. Does it not matter at all? No.

Well, to me it's not about placement, but how well the whole corps does. If the corps has to keep taking in new talent, then the minority of the veterans who are there don't feel as good about their show, and in turn can have a very frustrating summer. There are some very dedicated veterans who stay with a lower corps to try and help the situation, but often it's not enough veterans to make people want to stay after one of those summers, even if they know it would be better if they did. They might even leave because they think that everyone else will leave. And to be honest, in some cases there will be those members who just wanted to try it out and didn't really enjoy the work so they don't come back and do drum corps at all.

To sum it all up, I understand both sides and I don't really have a problem with either. But what I don't understand is people who don't make an upper corps don't march at all. If everyone who wanted to march an upper corps but didn't make it, and in turn marched the lower ones I think the activity would be a lot stronger as a whole. It also doesn't really matter on the talent level you have in the lower corps, it largely depends on your attitude and work ethic. My perfect example is me. I wasn't so great of a trumpet player OR marcher, but at summer's end I felt very confident about my abilities to march and play, especially after two years of it.

Sorry that I'm going on, but here's another issue. Some of the lower corps don't do spring training or as many rehearsals, so that simply causes a lack in practice, and in turn a lack of better placement.

Why don't you guys just move down here? Seems to be working pretty well for Xmen...and Blooo's former drum staff seem to agree with that sentiment! :smile:

I'd say they've gotten as close as they could without actually relocating. :D They have camps for the Brass in Texas until March, when the first drill camp is. It's really RATHER convenient. I was sold on Bloo before I tried out anywhere, but the fact that we could drive (and not fly) until March really helped with the pocketbook (and in turn, the parents).

I'd say they've gotten as close as they could without actually relocating. :D They have camps for the Brass in Texas until March, when the first drill camp is. It's really RATHER convenient. I was sold on Bloo before I tried out anywhere, but the fact that we could drive (and not fly) until March really helped with the pocketbook (and in turn, the parents).

You see, that's what I've been saying to Regiment for years now...they think I'm nuts. "Who would want to leave Rockford, Illinois?"

You mean other than General Motors and about every other major company there that resulted in them dropping to the illustrious position of 300th best (in other words, WORST) metropolitan city in America the year after I marched there???

I have a feeling the local alum will eventually drag the corps down rather than move to Texas where they could dominate. I mean, charge an extra $1,000 and members would be ahead what with less travel expenses. Alas, they have more Midwest members than Texas members. But it should speak that EVERYBODY is having major camps here...EXCEPT Regiment. Uncanny.

Love the fact that Blooo is in Austin. Cavies in Houston. BD in D/FW. Crossmen in San Antonio. Now if we could get some more corps based here and more shows featuring these great groups. Oh well...with time maybe. Glad to know I can basically go see/hear a top 7 corps every weekend between now and Summer somewhere in the state!

Speaking of Austin...UT/A&M playing in Austin...UT Band just played "Russian Christmas Music." :smile:

To sum it all up, I understand both sides and I don't really have a problem with either. But what I don't understand is people who don't make an upper corps don't march at all. If everyone who wanted to march an upper corps but didn't make it, and in turn marched the lower ones I think the activity would be a lot stronger as a whole. It also doesn't really matter on the talent level you have in the lower corps, it largely depends on your attitude and work ethic. My perfect example is me. I wasn't so great of a trumpet player OR marcher, but at summer's end I felt very confident about my abilities to march and play, especially after two years of it.

But for some people marching with a non top corps isn't worth it. I was going to miss so many school functions and the end of my senior year last year to march. I didn't make the cut for the corps I auditioned for, and at that point I decided to cut my losses and enjoy my last days at my high school. Even though I am auditioning for different placing corps this year, I feel happy with my decision to not march last year.

Now there is also the issue of money. The only two corps within reasonable driving distance of me (south of Rochester, NY) are both top corps, (Cadets and Bluecoats) and last year I was not financially ready to fly out to auditions, nor could I afford to keep driving every weekend of the spring to participate in an open class corps.

IMO this is a situational matter and in the end it is up to the performer.