What have you done for the Activity

I started this discussion to find ways for people to help drum corps stay viable and healthy. It has turned into something very different. Can we go back to brainstorming about ways to help corps other than with our checkbooks? Thanks

My main contribution has been to try and turn Drum Corps back into a 12 month a year activity by promoting and supporting I&E shows in the winter spring months along with trying to find performance venues for the Mini Corps, which I feel has a huge future. I'm a child of the 60's who grew up in Drum Corps through I&E shows on the east coast ... many of the contributors on this forum were and are my contemporaries ... the fraternity that Tom eluded to was present year round ... and I&E shows were the place where the "little" guy often toppled kids from the "giant" corps ... I&E is where you made your bones and your friends ... but in order to make it succeed, we need more venues, more competitors and more fans attending ... so ... want to throw some support to someone somewhere? ... compete or show up at one of the I&E/Mini Corps shows coming up in Feb/Mar/Apr ... yiou won't be disappointed!

Andy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps today is not the same as it was 20, 30, or 40 years ago. But is that really a bad thing? Is MLB or the NFL the same as it was in the 60's, or 70's? Not at all, but we still love it. Is any activity that brings out the passion in young adults with music, dance and life skills in a positive educational, drug & alcohol free enviorment a bad thing? I do not think so. It is not about what you remember drum corps to be in your time. Its about what these kids experience in a summer during their youth.

If you dont get chills watching these kids today as you did "back in the day" you are missing out.

:thumbup:

My main contribution has been to try and turn Drum Corps back into a 12 month a year activity by promoting and supporting I&E shows in the winter spring months along with trying to find performance venues for the Mini Corps, which I feel has a huge future.

And I gotta say, you and the rest of the folks involved with this part of the activity are doing a great job!

Nice to see an old drum corps tradition (the "off-season" I&E shows) revived.

Fran

My main contribution has been to try and turn Drum Corps back into a 12 month a year activity by promoting and supporting I&E shows in the winter spring months along with trying to find performance venues for the Mini Corps, which I feel has a huge future. I'm a child of the 60's who grew up in Drum Corps through I&E shows on the east coast ... many of the contributors on this forum were and are my contemporaries ... the fraternity that Tom eluded to was present year round ... and I&E shows were the place where the "little" guy often toppled kids from the "giant" corps ... I&E is where you made your bones and your friends ... but in order to make it succeed, we need more venues, more competitors and more fans attending ... so ... want to throw some support to someone somewhere? ... compete or show up at one of the I&E/Mini Corps shows coming up in Feb/Mar/Apr ... yiou won't be disappointed!

Andy

Andy,

You and your colleagues are doing a helluva job in bringing back the I&E venues - and are really to be commended for doing so. Wouldn't it be something, however, to also bring back some of the old full-corps indoor floor shows - like the indoor contest at the old Newark Armory every January, or Drumfest in Boston every January or February?

The Other Andy

Andy,

You and your colleagues are doing a helluva job in bringing back the I&E venues - and are really to be commended for doing so. Wouldn't it be something, however, to also bring back some of the old full-corps indoor floor shows - like the indoor contest at the old Newark Armory every January, or Drumfest in Boston every January or February?

The Other Andy

Thanks for the kind words ... This will be the third year for the reprise of the I&E's ... the BHOF jump started them in 2007 with their North American Championships in Bridgeport ... then this year they expanded to two shows (Garfield and Bridgeport), the bridgemen hosted a show in Bayonne and the MCA hosted a show along with their 1st ever Mini Corps Championships in Albany ... but ... I must be honest ... attendance was sparse at best ... the entire drum corps community has to come together to support these off-season shows to make them a success ... I'm looking forward to record crowds being attendance at one or more if the I&E venues ... trust me ... they're good for the soul - for both the competitor and the fans ... the interaction and bantering is infectious ... a real throw back to the I&E shows of the 60's because everything is done on one stage ... keep watching this forum (and others) for information ... maybe other sponsors will pop up ... anyone interested in hosting a show can get in touch with me on what we've been doing ...

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko

ps - IMO, the best bet for a Drumfest in Boston is through the MCA ... I'm tellin' ya ... it's the wave of the future ...

The best bet for a Drumfest in Boston is through the MCA ... I'm tellin' ya ... it's the wave of the future ...

So, does that mean you are going to help organize something in the Boston area? [/b]

My husband and I threw around ideas to get a show in the RI area a few years ago. We had the drum corps committed, some great ideas of involving the the local school system for participation, advertising, concessions, we just didn't have the contacts for a venue that would work.

Still would love to see it happen!

The best bet for a Drumfest in Boston is through the MCA ... I'm tellin' ya ... it's the wave of the future ...

So, does that mean you are going to help organize something in the Boston area? [/b]

My husband and I threw around ideas to get a show in the RI area a few years ago. We had the drum corps committed, some great ideas of involving the the local school system for participation, advertising, concessions, we just didn't have the contacts for a venue that would work.

What about the old hockey arena there in Providence (I've forgotten the name of the team, possibly the Rhode Island Reds). It was up there near The Miriam Hospital. In fact the hospital had purchased the building for office space. The original intent, however, was to leave the arena segment as it was. Is it still standing?

Andy

MCA members Mass Brass and the Defenders would be the ones to take the lead in organizing something ... last year's MCA Championship was in Albany (hosted by Capital Brass) ... the idea was to have the Championship show travel around to different geographic areas with different host corps ... Boston would be a great venue ... last big alumni show was in 95 ... now Plymouth occurs every year with great success ... other MCA possibilities are Erie, Pittsburgh, Long Island and So. Jersey ... let the "circuit" of shows begin!!!!

Andy