What have you done for the Activity

I am one of the old guys on here that fondly remembers the good old days of the many corps and the use of G bugles and no electronics etc. But what have I done to stop the decline of the numbers of corps? I guess my answer now is not to dam much. I write on here about my good ole days but what do I do other than that? I go to some shows and whine to my friends about the decline of drum corps. I do run a bingo game for our winterguard that use to be a drumcorps....I couldnt stop that from happening alone. But other than that....I am guilty. Lets all brainstorm and put out some ideas about how we can help. I am willing and I know that there are others out there that want to help but dont really know how. As individuals we can promote change that will translate into change for the better.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what we have to do is realize that the "activity" we knew and loved is dead and gone. What drum corps is today has no resemblance to the the contests, weekend travel and parties that we took part in. I wish current members well and hope that they enjoy their hobby as much as I did mine. But it sure aint drum corps!

I think what we have to do is realize that the "activity" we knew and loved is dead and gone. What drum corps is today has no resemblance to the the contests, weekend travel and parties that we took part in. I wish current members well and hope that they enjoy their hobby as much as I did mine. But it sure aint drum corps!

I guess we have differing opinions. YOu are right...the activity that we knew is dead but drum corps still survives in the kids and adults that are participating in it right now. There are no local corps in my area. I was looking for ideas on how to support the activity in general.....aside from my checkbook. I am sad that you think that the activity is dead. I owe who I am and who my children turned out to be to drum corps......it was and still can be a defining segment of our lives.

Ben... I disagree with your agreeing with him... the activity we know/knew and loved is not DEAD... it is changed... but change in life is normal... things change... things HAVE to change... (some good - some not so good) we just have to learn to live with it and move on... that's the hardest part...

I suggest that there are many common threads that have NOT changed... and that is the comradery and "family" nature of the activity... we still find ourselves making lifelong friends - and learning that our personal feelings and relationships with other people are far more important than what key a horn is in or whether we start to the left and move to the right or whatever...

Edited by TomPeashey

It has changed to the point that it is unrecognizable from the "activity" I/we took part in, and I agree Tom that it is the way of the world. I also agree that all of the benifits for current members are the same or similar to our experiences. In my 1st post I stated "I wish current members well and hope that they enjoy their hobby as much as I did mine." All I am saying is that "it sure aint drum corps!"

It has changed to the point that it is unrecognizable from the "activity" I/we took part in, and I agree Tom that it is the way of the world. I also agree that all of the benifits for current members are the same or similar to our experiences. In my 1st post I stated "I wish current members well and hope that they enjoy their hobby as much as I did mine." All I am saying is that "it sure aint drum corps!"

I wonder how much a drum corps from 1942 would have resembed a drum corps of 1975, the last year in your sig, and as far away from 2008 as 1942 was from 1975.

Doom and Gloom? Not from where I'm standing.

The Activity in Middle America is experiencing a revival of sorts.

Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, Oklahoma and Colorado Colorado has Zero Drum Corps not too long ago and now:

Texas: Crossmen and Revolution, Junior Corps. Gulf Coast Sound, Frontier, Austin Stars and Force, Senior Corps.

Stage Corps of World Gone Mad.

Louisiana: Masquerade, Senior Corps

Kansas: Prairie Sound, Senior Corps

Oklahoma: A Project is in the works for a Senior All Age Corps.

Colorado: Blue Knights Junior Corps and High Country Brass Senior Corps.

Yea, Austin and the Junior Corps are on Bb Horns and the other Senior Corps are on mostly 3 Valve G Bugles. :thumbdown:

This year High Country will be in DCA for sure. Austin Stars say they will be a DCA member as well. Prairie Sound is working on DCA-Central membership with no Finals appearance. :music:

Go to a DCA show and you'll see some good old Drum Corps. I contend that last years DCI finals were a sort of nod to years gone by with more traditional hard hitting shows over all. :blink:

Drum Corps not Dead.

it has been MY experience that you have two choices,regarding "change".you can accept it,or be run over by it.but you cant stop it.

I started this discussion to find ways for people to help drum corps stay viable and healthy. It has turned into something very different. Can we go back to brainstorming about ways to help corps other than with our checkbooks? Thanks

Very good Benji. Because of that bad word "change", Corps need more help than ever. Every corps looks for side line people to help the Corps. Cooks, drivers, prop movers, equipment fixing ( I remember your dad's genius). Th administration team always needs typist, recruiters, fund raisers. Volunteer to work at their show that makes it easier for Cotps memebr to practice.

Helping a corps in person,makes you part of the family and you enjoy all the benefits they do. Even if you only can be with Corps X a couple of weekends a year. You help alot and are appreciated by all the memebrs.

The Cabs have a solid organization, but always, yes always look for sideline help, I am sure all Corps do. When you hand a kid a plate for lunch and he knows you were out there making lunch happen, you are automatically part of that Corps. Help a kid when the heat overcomes him and he never forgets you. Help move the drum equipment and everyone loves you. There are many ways to help. Call a Corps and tell them what talent you have and that you want to help. You will be in that Corps in no time.