Who actually revolutionized story telling?

Suncoast Sound 1988 89 84 83

SkyRyders 88 87 86

Sky Ryders have not yet been outdone as far as a groundbreaking story line. OZ was and still is the "Greatest Story Ever Told" by a drum corps.....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue that Phantom 2008 was an outgrowth of the SCV 1989-1992 "musical story" (and of course, 08 Phantom that looks back to 1981/82's "Spartacus" that told a story in its own right) instead of having lineage back to Cadets 2005. That's why it pleases so much of the old guard on here. :thumbdown:

I will say that the Cadets 2005 show was responsible for giving the concept of the "story-narrative" in drum corps (for all its good and bad) a slight tweak after the subpar attempts corps made in 2004 with voice, although all of this the band world had seen for a long while by the time DCI '05 rolled around.

also you can't forget Phantom in 1981 & 1982 when they first did Spartacus. 2008 was just a retelling of the same story by Phantom again.

And I forgot Sky. 1987 West Side Story was incredibly done with the two toned corps, and their telling of the Wizard of OZ story in 195 & 1986 was incredibly well done.

Suncoast Sound 1984

I'd add 1985 and 1988 as well.

1984 Spirit of Atlanta

1984 Spirit of Atlanta

yeah those other suncoast years were good too, but he was asking when did storytelling begin and since they did a great story in 1984 then 85 and 88 wouldn't be the beginning of storytelling for Suncoast since they already did it in 1984.

1984 Spirit of Atlanta

Totally agree. Add 88 SCV.

IMHO, once again IMHO, here's where I'm going to get the hate mail... I thought 08 Phantom were musically brilliant (the drumline almost beyond belief) but I thought that the visual package was melodramatic. My wife actually laughed out loud and she's a huge Phantom fan who absolutely adored the 82 Spartacus show (she even tried out for guard in 85). I heartily congratulate them on their well deserved win - no argument here, it was a GREAT show. Just not my cup of tea.