Hornline Brand Change?

My problem with King Horns was durability. SW took great care of their equipment and those King instruments looked like #### after one season.

My experience is there are certain trade-offs with each brand.

King- ok sound. poor durability.

Dynasty- poor sound. great durability.

Yamaha- stuffy-sounding. decent durability.

Corps will use whomever gives them the best deal.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched Crown in years that we had both King and Yamaha brass lines. I have played on both King and Yamaha mellophones and trumpets. When we made the switch to Yamaha, they allowed us to try a variety of trumpet models that different corps already use. It was amazing difference going from a SCV horn to a Cavalier horn. I don't think that either one was bad, they just naturally played better in the style each group went for. I really like Yamaha brass. I think they hold up extremely well and the sound quality has improved greatly in the past 5 years. If I got a deal on a brass line here for my high school band, I would take it in a heart beat.

If Phantom's hornline is anything like it was last year, in terms of talent (which I'm sure won't be a problem) then they would sound just fine on any brand of instruments.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

The quality if what comes out of a horn is directly attributable to the quality of what goes into it. A great brass program that teaches great breathing and playing techniques, with members who follow the program, will have a great sound. The best hornlines in drum corps will sound great on whatever they're playing.

Add disclaimer -- IMHO, of course.

Is the "tristar" name just a joke, or are there really Tristar horns? I've overheard a few BD tuba players claiming their horns are junk, but they won high brass last year.....

Was the "tristar" name just a joke, or is there really an instrument maker called Tristar?

ok, to add fuel to the fire...most people who listen to the corps play are fans who love loudness and greatness...but some of them are JUDGES who are paid to nitpick the fine points. yes most corps can make any equpiment sound good, but there ARE differences in the quality from one manufacturer to another. i can't endorse a brand either way as I only have experience playing on one brand and teaching using two others but to say it doesn't matter isn't entirely accurate (just mostly so)

Was the "tristar" name just a joke, or is there really an instrument maker called Tristar?

......never mind......

http://www.tristarmusic.com/about_tristarmusic.htm

Given their bingo situation, this could be a consideration....lol