2008 DCI DVD Reissue . . .

Would the previous person posting (who had access to the "new" DVD, posting at 3:06pm ET) or someone out there please tell us for sure which piece was edited out? I want to start a campaign to persuade the copyright holder or agent. It seems that this week is a good time to call because no one else will be calling them.

I called DCI a couple of hours ago, and they very politely told me nothing at all. I am NOT blaming DCI or PR. For the record, I own the "first edition" DVD. It's not about me, though. I want to try my best to solve the problem for the Classic Countdowns in the future and the historical record. That show may finally replace SCV '89 ("Phantom of the Opera," the second year) as the greatest show of all time (based on fan vote and such), and it's been compromised. I don't care what people tell me about "seamless."

PR isn't answering their phones, which is perfectly understandable at this time of year. Their "contact us" web-to-email form bounces the email, though. I left them a phone message mentioning that, but if anyone has an inside track, please have them test their web form.

Many posts ago, people were saying something to the effect of "it's summer marching bands, not the end of the world." No, it's not the end of the world, but art is extremely important. To paraphrase Ayn Rand, art is a concrete representation of the artist's abstract view of the world. Art allows us to literally see and hear our ideals in a world that is generally not ideal. It keeps us sane, energized, and headed for a goal. I think drum corps is the perfect Objectivist ("Rand-ite") art, but I've never known another Objectivist drum corps fan to know what he or she thinks.

The piece in question in Phantom's show may or may not be "Dance of Ecstasy," which is the perfect title for drum corps. Werner Herzog seeks the "ecstatic truth"; Rand evoked a powerful image of "ecstatic freedom" in "The Fountainhead"; my favorite painting is Maxfield Parrish's "Ecstasy." Whatever the medium, ecstasy is a worthy goal. It's ironic that "Dance of Ecstasy" may be the piece of music that has been axed. No ecstasy here. Go back to your chains. Move along, move along.

"SCVAdagio"

never marched dc, but I've seen 20 straight years of live shows, I've been to 120 total shows (not that I'm counting or anything), and I've been to three nights of finals in '98 and 2000 - 2008.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the previous person posting (who had access to the "new" DVD, posting at 3:06pm ET) or someone out there please tell us for sure which piece was edited out? I want to start a campaign to persuade the copyright holder or agent. It seems that this week is a good time to call because no one else will be calling them.

I called DCI a couple of hours ago, and they very politely told me nothing at all. I am NOT blaming DCI or PR. For the record, I own the "first edition" DVD. It's not about me, though. I want to try my best to solve the problem for the Classic Countdowns in the future and the historical record. That show may finally replace SCV '89 ("Phantom of the Opera," the second year) as the greatest show of all time (based on fan vote and such), and it's been compromised. I don't care what people tell me about "seamless."

PR isn't answering their phones, which is perfectly understandable at this time of year. Their "contact us" web-to-email form bounces the email, though. I left them a phone message mentioning that, but if anyone has an inside track, please have them test their web form.

Many posts ago, people were saying something to the effect of "it's summer marching bands, not the end of the world." No, it's not the end of the world, but art is extremely important. To paraphrase Ayn Rand, art is a concrete representation of the artist's abstract view of the world. Art allows us to literally see and hear our ideals in a world that is generally not ideal. It keeps us sane, energized, and headed for a goal. I think drum corps is the perfect Objectivist ("Rand-ite") art, but I've never known another Objectivist drum corps fan to know what he or she thinks.

The piece in question in Phantom's show may or may not be "Dance of Ecstasy," which is the perfect title for drum corps. Werner Herzog seeks the "ecstatic truth"; Rand evoked a powerful image of "ecstatic freedom" in "The Fountainhead"; my favorite painting is Maxfield Parrish's "Ecstasy." Whatever the medium, ecstasy is a worthy goal. It's ironic that "Dance of Ecstasy" may be the piece of music that has been axed. No ecstasy here. Go back to your chains. Move along, move along.

"SCVAdagio"

never marched dc, but I've seen 20 straight years of live shows, I've been to 120 total shows (not that I'm counting or anything), and I've been to three nights of finals in '98 and 2000 - 2008.

With all due respect, you calling the composer/publisher may do more damage than good. Perhaps DCI ior PR s working on this issue to help solve it for future video compilations or Countdown shows. Your passionate, yet unauthorized involvement in DCI and Phantom's business dealings is not advised.

With all due respect, you calling the composer/publisher may do more damage than good. Perhaps DCI ior PR s working on this issue to help solve it for future video compilations or Countdown shows. Your passionate, yet unauthorized involvement in DCI and Phantom's business dealings is not advised.

Now that you mention it, I did learn a little something from DCI when I talked to them. I learned that they have given up, probably forever. I didn't get any sense that they will revisit the issue. That point was clearer than anything else the rep did or did not say. Their rep assumed that the ban would apply to the Classic Countdown and forever more. Legally speaking, how would it not apply unless something changes?

I outlined what I had in mind for a campaign. I specifically asked this person if he or she thought it could hurt. I didn't hear any objections, but, then again, I was not necessarily talking to someone who should rule on that. I planned to specifically ask PR that, too, but I can't find them yet.

Perhaps you're right, and I should wait to consult with the right people at DCI and PR. I'll think about that.

As for it being "their" business, I am agreeing that it's their business, MAYBE, only if a campaign could hurt them. Generally speaking, though, the entire dc community's ox has been gored. I'm not (yet) challenging the legal right of the owner to gore; I'm just saying that perhaps they can be persuaded that it's not in anybody's interest.

I'm thinking of my potential campaign as a war path covered in honey--politely persuasive but relentless. I don't want to get them angry. If I proceed, I'm going to have to think about my words very carefully. I know that much.

Now, (not directed at you, but a question to all) what is this crap about getting a sync license and then getting it revoked after the fact???

I'm not sure that is the way it happened, if the quote by Rick Valenzuela is true...from the OP:

“While the initial steps of the licensing process were successful, we were disappointed to learn that a synchronization license ultimately wouldn't be granted for one piece of music in our 'Spartacus' program,” said Rick Valenzuela, executive director of the Phantom Regiment.

That makes it appear that the DVD's may have been cut before the final synchronization i's were dotted and t's crossed, legally-speaking. It doesn't say that the license was in place and then revoked.

That raises the question: is it normal to obtain sync licenses after the season? It seems odd that they'd go the whole season with that up in the air relative to the rest of the show...but, anything is possible I suppose.

Its really almost not worth it to touch anything not in public domain... all the special licenses to do every little thing... i think you should have to pay one fee that grants you to do everything with a piece. I thing the laws need to be revised once again because its just a bit ridiculous IMO.

Really how many licenses does an individual drum corps and dci have to get? Blah, I just don't get it...

I wonder. If the issue is the "sale" of the finished product or simply the "distribution" of said product. If, for example, they corps decided to give away the DVD/CD, would the licensing still apply?

I'm not sure that is the way it happened, if the quote by Rick Valenzuela is true...from the OP:

That makes it appear that the DVD's may have been cut before the final synchronization i's were dotted and t's crossed, legally-speaking. It doesn't say that the license was in place and then revoked.

i still think it's highly suspicious that they get a license to arrange, performance rights, a mechanical license, and a new media performance license to use during the season, but then have a copyright holder/composer not grant a synchronization license? it's not about $ b/c dci makes money from the shows, apd's, and streaming video from regionals. this smells of a artistic disagreement; not that i haven't badgered that idea into the ground already.

i still think it's highly suspicious that they get a license to arrange, performance rights, a mechanical license, and a new media performance license to use during the season, but then have a copyright holder/composer not grant a synchronization license? it's not about $ b/c dci makes money from the shows, apd's, and streaming video from regionals. this smells of a artistic disagreement; not that i haven't badgered that idea into the ground already.

i'm pretty sure that is the reason... it just doesn't make sense to me.. but all this rights stuff will never make sense, synchronization just seems like something stupid to have to get rights for

Now that you mention it, I did learn a little something from DCI when I talked to them. I learned that they have given up, probably forever. I didn't get any sense that they will revisit the issue. That point was clearer than anything else the rep did or did not say. Their rep assumed that the ban would apply to the Classic Countdown and forever more. Legally speaking, how would it not apply unless something changes?

I outlined what I had in mind for a campaign. I specifically asked this person if he or she thought it could hurt. I didn't hear any objections, but, then again, I was not necessarily talking to someone who should rule on that. I planned to specifically ask PR that, too, but I can't find them yet.

Perhaps you're right, and I should wait to consult with the right people at DCI and PR. I'll think about that.

As for it being "their" business, I am agreeing that it's their business, MAYBE, only if a campaign could hurt them. Generally speaking, though, the entire dc community's ox has been gored. I'm not (yet) challenging the legal right of the owner to gore; I'm just saying that perhaps they can be persuaded that it's not in anybody's interest.

I'm thinking of my potential campaign as a war path covered in honey--politely persuasive but relentless. I don't want to get them angry. If I proceed, I'm going to have to think about my words very carefully. I know that much.

Here's what you risk...your warpath can potentially upset the publishing company that answers the phones when DCI or the corps call to obtain rights. In the future, they can just falt out deny corps permission cause you took it upon yourself to play hero in an area you know nothing about. They don't just represnt this one composer. They rep many. You should leave it alone. You don't think DCI and PR have a much bigger stake and interest in this than you? You don't think they are exhausting all avenues or have to fix this issue? The person you talked to at DCI is probably the receptionist who has no say or first hand knowledge of the details of the issue. She just repeats what she's been instructed to repeat.

If I were DCI or the corps and you disrupted a business relationship, I'd come after you and hold you liable. If you're so interested in helping. why don't you contact DCI's president and offer your expert services?