Time Travel

I would march Blue Devils 2000

Then I would go back to 1861 and avoid the Civil War by blowing all their minds with a modern drum corps show...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't ask me how I came up with this idea, because I honestly could not tell you.

But lets say you had a time machine. You go back in time to the days of Bach, but with you you bring a modern day drum corps with you. For this example we'll use Vanguard 2002, as there aren't really any modern historical or cultural references and it is a fairly simple concept to understand. How do you think people back in the day of baroque and classical nonsense would react to a modern day drum corps show? Personally I think it would be hilarious to see how a group of armed forces from the civil war days would react to seeing something like Star 91's drill performed.

Additional points of discussion: how do you think they would react to modern symphonic music?

If you had a time machine and could go back ad march one show what would it be and whay?

I think people back in ancient times such as you mentioned would be offended. Even composers who wrote music like everyone else were considered heretics. To introduce these shiny, loud instruments that DIDNT HAVE STRINGS, especially being performed by a hundred people in silly looking red and green pajamas with funky musketeer hats.....I honestly think if the authorities of the time could catch the kids of SCV, they'd probably be hanged.....but given their advanced physical stature, I think they'd only catch a few...

Civil War era opinion? They wouldn't be offended, but it would depend on the venue. If your time machine randomly dumped Star 91 right on the battlefield..you wouldnt have to worry about them performing....but if it was in some sort of formal concert hall I think it would go over quite well. Mainstream brass instruments were just being invented and refined at that time, so I think the audiences would make sense of what they were. And since drums were considered standard military equipment, I think all the battlefield drummers would just be wondering where the straps are....

Oh, and I'd be happy to march any Div 1 show prior to 1987....just to get to use a 2 valver.....

Edited by ussglassman

Oh, and I'd be happy to march any Div 1 show prior to 1987....just to get to use a 2 valver.....

:thumbup:

I agree, somehow those seem like "real" bugles to me. I know that's arbitrary, but you can't change me. :thumbup:

I'd show any of last year's shows to John Phillip Sousa, see what he thinks of marching music of the new millenium.