Rochester Crusaders and Drum Corps Community Lose a great.

I watched Rick play drumset with the Hitmen at one of the indoor shows a few years back,.................we were waiting in the wings to go on next,.....................tons of style and taste,.......he made it look so easy, but he played his a s s off, with that signature smile,.............what a talent!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very sad news. I had the privilege of both writing and teaching with Rick -- he was a class act with an unparalled passion for the activity. Not only have I always had a great deal of respect for Rick's many talents -- but I have always admired his calm, very cool approach to everything that he did. Rick always had this quiet, reassuring way about him. Even in the "heat of the battle", he never lost his composure -- he was always very much in control. Cheryl, Josh, and Sara, my deepest, heart-felt condolences. I'm sure it goes without saying that everyone in both the drum corps and marching band communities has lost one of the best. I am proud to say that I learned alot from Rick. We are going to miss him dearly. And God bless and keep him forever.

Dave Orser

i just now saw this...Oh, my heart breaks. RIP Rick and my thoughts and prayers to your family

Rick was a dear friend to many. I marched with him in the Watkins Glen Squires and when I went on to work with the Guardsmen (Illinois) and needed a percussion instructor, Rick willingly signed on for the infamous summer of 1982. He had to re-write a major chunk of the book and had a few other "trials" to deal with as well. In spite of it all, he came to work every day with a smile on his face. He was a major chunk of the glue that held things together that year. Since then, when I have needed percussion help, all it ever took was a phone call. Rick Rogers was TRULY in this activity for the kids and was always happiest when he had people to teach or a drum to fix. I can't believe he's gone. I can still remember riding to Squires practice with him as he simultaneoulsy drove and drummed on the dashboard.

We are all a part of the huge family of drum corps. We cherish our moments on the field and we constantly look forward to next season(s)- We cherish the friends we make along the way, and I am willing to be that we'd each willingly go to the mat for a drum corps buddy or two, if asked. What we sometimes forget to do is to let those uber friends know how important they are to OUR quality of life. We just expect to see them at a contest in the summer or to have a beer or two with them in the parking lot after a show. We forget that in some instances, "tomorrow" might not come. If we truly want to honor the memory of this gentle giant, we will take a moment to call a friend or two (or twenty) and let them know just how much we value them. I wish I had taken the opportunity to send a Christmas card or something to Rick this season.. We've been out of touch for the past couple years, but I always enjoyed hearing about his activities within the senior corps realm. I will mis him every day.

On behalf of the Racine Scouts family, our most sincere condolences go to Cheryl, Sara, and Josh. Your dad/husband was one in a trillion and he will never be forgotten.

Andrea Birbilis, Corps Manager

Racine Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps

Racine, Wisconsin

great comments from a class act... hello Andrea, keep well...

The Sickles Family sends its heart felt condolences to Cheryl, Sara, and Josh.

Cheryl thank you very much for sharing Rick with us all.

It has taken me all week to try and say something about Rick here and it's hard.

In short I met Rick in Squires, then again years later after he Chris Calhoun and Jim Nixon, dragged my sorry butt back home to Drum Corps in the Crusaders.

I never thought that I wouldn't have the chance to Thank him for that. It won't happen again to Chris and Jim Thank You, with out you three I never would have been in Cru, never would have met my wife or had my three boys.

In Squires we used to laugh and tease about going bald and I remember Rick always said you can have my hair just don't take my chops...lol

The memories are many, the laughs plentiful, Rick may God keep you till we meet again on the starting line.

As Gorman said, hold a spot for me too buddy.

Much love and respect...Bob

Today's the day everybody

It is said that you can judge the success of ones life by the things people say and remember when you're gone. If someone who didn't know him were to read this thread they would see that Rick's short life was a rousing success. RIP