5 Favorite Moments from 2008 DCI

-The end of the Colts' ballad. (biased) A lot of the time it got a better crowd reaction than the end of the show did.

-Bluecoats' shout section

-Crown's opening impact

-Boston's company front to the end

-Seeing the Blue Stars for the first time at finals, and finally getting to see how good they were.

And obviously, Phantom winning.

Edited by JGuy1288

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order:

Phantom's whole show. Brilliant from start to finish.

The Bluecoats "Boxer" choral/shout chorus/singing. I'll never forget performing this.

Cavaliers' visual program. Amazing.

The Blue Devils' opener. That show was just...wow.

Carolina Crown from the beginning through the opening hit. The power and clarity of those mello parts are out of this world.

Oh, and Retreat (minus ATB): The crowd doing the wave, going absolutely nuts for phantom. Fighting hard all season and getting in the top 6... That night was perfect.

Is it August yet?

In no paticular order-

Crown's Hallelujah Chrous ending.

Cavaliers Jumping

That part where vanguard does the drill.. you know...

Crown's 1812 Overture impact

Cavaliers Kiai-ing. That was pretty awesome.

1. Phantom - the first "I am Spartacus" to the end of the show. I love the entire build, and the way the crowd added in as well, until the whole thing just exploded with the murder of the DM and the full yell.

2. The Cadets - the last minute and a half of the show. I was digging it halfway through that section, then it slowly dawned on me that they just weren't stopping! If they made full shows of that kind of aggression I'd be their biggest fan.

3. The Cavaliers - they always throw down in the third movement of their show, and this year was no exception. The velocity combined with the driving drum beat, not to mention the hornline leaping over each other, was quite awesome

4. Bluecoats - the end of the training section. I was on the wrong side of the field for the shout section in the ballad, but my favorite moment seeing it live was the high energy and the Rocky quotes at the end of the 'montage'.

5. Blue Knights - end of the opener. There isn't one crystal clear moment for this show like their was for the four listed above, but I enjoyed the whole thing. The audio alone doesn't grab me as much as years past, but pair it with the non-stop visual motion and this was a special product. The last part of the opener is the moment when I was hooked for good.

1. Last 3 mins of Spartacus

2. Cavies jumping over each other, they always find something new every year

3. Bluecoats - The boxer- Had to change my pants after it

4. SCV visually were very good- can tell Jeff Fiedler is their director

5. Crown had a great hornline throughout the show

1. Seeing the new ending to Spartacus unveiled in Allentown, from row 16 on the 50 yard line - the place went nuts

2. "And in second place with a score of ninety-eight point one, nine eight point one..............Blue Devils" - The realization that PR won and the ensuing crowd reaction - phenomenal.

3. Fans of DCI breakfast - Troopers did their show in an arc in a very small ballroom - everything was shaking! Hornline heaven!

4. Bluecoats park and blow Boxer - awesome

5. Crown's Clair de Lune.

in no particular order

1. Phantom Regiment- i am a sucker for well-portrayed theme/character shows.

but mainly, I AM SPARTACUS to the end.

seeing allentown on fan network, i decided i MUST go to bloomington.

so, i grabbed three friends and roadtripped 300 miles.

2. Carolina Crown's weapon line.

i was completely blown away during prelims in atlanta.

3. Bluecoats. i LOVED the boxer park and blow.

also enjoyed how the guard portrayed two other musical moments.

4. being present when scores were announced.

it really WAS that loud when the winner was announced, no question.

5. Cadets ending drill. im not for or against them-however,

seeing it live for the first time at the Mufreesboro show, i couldnt look away.

saw six drum corps shows in 2008 [starting in 06, it was one a year]

cant wait to march 2009!

1. I AM SPARTACUS

2. Luecoats ballad hit

3. Crossmen's ballad

4. Murder during Phantom's Ballad

5. BD's stick figure

This is torture. Uhhh...

1. Spartacus. Whole show. If you were to be even meaner and make me specify, I'd say from about when the girl gets killed through the next war section. Terribly intense. The cries of agony were a brilliant touch. I do love me some of the ending and the shout too.

2. Santa Clara Vanguard's "The Cloudburst" from Cloudburst (that's what the section is called, the aleatoric handbells/thunder section)...spectacular drill effect, very effective musical interpretation of that section.

3. Cavaliers' visual program (the jump diamond, I still don't know how any group can achieve that) and pit with the (as mentioned) authentic taiko drumming... :rolleyes:

4. Luecoats' integration of their theme to every aspect of their show, especially their percussion, as well as their awesome ballad (not limited to the end of it, but also the sections before...). Yes, I'm going to put two parts for every answer. JUST TRY AND STOP ME. (unless you're a mod. then don't. :S)

5. Madison's drum break - cajons and shekeres, oh my! The whole thing was absolutely jamming. Some dirt, sure, but it's 12th place. Wonderfully written and performed, either way.

Honorable mention - Blue Stars' ballad, as well as the obligatory "ninety eight point one, nine eight point one..... .... ... Blue Devils," just the way he said it, finally spitting it out, trying desperately to finish the words before the crowd goes ballistic.

Edited by Stryfe

Lots of great ones this year.

In no particular order:

- Blue Stars opening hit - announcing their return in a BIG way.

- Last 2 minutes of The Cadets. Craziest drill (while playing RFL) I've seen since '91 Star

- Bluecoats "The Boxer" park and blow. Saw it 4 times. Had to find a towel each time.

- Carolina Crown's entire show. Best overall design of the year, IMO.

- Phantom Regiment's closer: everything from "I am Spartacus!!!" to stabbing Will Pitts was a masterpiece.