Cadets vs. Cavies

mainly this is in reference to their high scoring championship shows. IMHO, the Cavies 2002 was waaaaaaaaay more overrated. Cadets 2005 is one of the best all around shows ever put on a field. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm too lazy to search, lol

Most overrated Cavvies show ever is a tie between 92 (11th place hornlines shouldn't win finals) and 95 (the corps had a finals night meldown and didn't hit a single set in the last 90 seconds of the show).

Most overrated Cadets show is 93 (people actually still claim to like this show and think it deserved to win. It had 2 minutes of good music and a zillion props. And nothing else.)

I think both shows are just fricken awesome to tell you the truth.

Cavies balance and blend in their hornline was astounding. Visual GE was arguably the best I've seen

Cadets 05 was an incredibly complex/diverse show that was nearly perfect in every aspect. I don't think the 99.15's where mistakes

02 Cavaliers is one of, and in the opinion of many, the best visual programs to ever have been put on a football field. Even though I'm not a Gaines influenced drill writer, it's the best visual package ever in my mind. Musically the only weak spot was the battery. The hornline was nails. People say there was no melody... Well they have issues. Best show ever in my opinion.

Cadets this show took a load of risk. Just look at the guard staging. Story telling at a high level even though some people didn't get it. Visually I don't like this show as well as Cavaliers. Shocking out of my mouth as I'm a fan of the "east coast" style of drill. Sacktig's best drill is still Stonehenge.

Music wise I like Cadets selections better as I listen to it more often. The drumline was sick and the hornline played the crap out of a hard book.

Can't say they were over rated at all either.

Going head to head would of been interesting. I would of given it to Cavaliers by a very slim margin.

Edited by CloudHype

Most overrated Cavvies show ever is a tie between 92 (11th place hornlines shouldn't win finals) and 95 (the corps had a finals night meldown and didn't hit a single set in the last 90 seconds of the show).

First of all, do a little homework. Cavies were third in brass in 1992 behind Star and BD (and just ahead of Cadets' painfully out of tune horns). 1995 meltdown? A corps doesn't win by 1.1 with a meltdown. Cadets were far more interesting, but they took too many risks, and it was just dirty.

Most overrated Cadets show is 93 (people actually still claim to like this show and think it deserved to win. It had 2 minutes of good music and a zillion props. And nothing else.)

People "claim" to like this show? If Star had come close to matching the intensity of that show, they'd have won (lost by 0.1). And what props? 1993 was "In the Spring....Kings Go Off to War" show. The guard was wrapped up quite nicely, but there weren't any props. 1995 was loaded with benches, etc... Whomever peed in your Post Toastiesâ„¢ addled your memory.

People "claim" to like this show? If Star had come close to matching the intensity of that show, they'd have won (lost by 0.1).

Let me understand this. Star 1993 wasn't intense enough? :tongue:

mainly this is in reference to their high scoring championship shows. IMHO, the Cavies 2002 was waaaaaaaaay more overrated. Cadets 2005 is one of the best all around shows ever put on a field. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm too lazy to search, lol

Let me sat this as politely as possible, and I quote the late, great George Carlin, but "What the #### are you talking about?"

Both of these shows achieved some of the highest levels of greatness in drum corps. And I'm not talking about scoring.

2002 Cavaliers for putting on the total package on fully integrated visual and music. On of the best drills ever written.

2005 Cadets for pushing the envelope of innovation while not going overboard and it was #### enjoyable. Not to mention playing their ##### off and being ####-clean visually in, like, June. Saw them from the box is Louisville. My jaw hit the floor several times.

If you want to talk about overrated shows, lets talk about 2003 Phantom.

Edited by contrajedi8

I think that pretty much summarized the whole post, and how seriously everyone should take it.

Spot on.

Fail thread is fail.

I'm pretty sure this could be resubmitted with less . . .er . . .combative wording if we're trying to compare 2002 Cavaliers and 2005 Cadets. As it stands now, it's not really doing anything to further any type of discussion on this haven't had before over the years.

Closed, for now . . .as always, PM a mod if you have questions. :tongue: