Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

When you configure plane tickets, tour fees, money for walmart, laundry, and not to mention all of the things you need before tour, it adds up quick. I dont live with my parents anymore, nor do I attend school, so leaving for the summer is impossible. Land lords dont like sublets, and then there is the problem of trying to keep your job. most empolyers wont let you have a leave of absence. When you return where will you get the money to find a place to live, where would you stay and how long would it take for you to find a job. College students have and advantage, they are able to go back to school at the end of the summer. If drum corps paid it performers it would be a different story but thats not the case.

When I was in high school, i worked during the school months, gradually got my things i needed, and used my tax return to make it through the summer. I was fortunate enough, and things turned out in my favor. The Americanos were cheap in 04 fees were $600 later raised to $800. In 05 I had worked to get a majorty of my fees paid off. When the Americanos folded, ECJ waived my fees and only had me pay for my plane ticket. 04 and 05 I used my tax return to help me pay for the summer. In 06 My fees were completely wavied at the Americanos because I was always helping. When They folded I didnt have anything and my tax return was low. I wasnt even going to march in 06 but I got a call from the colts and they had a spot open. That I am still paying for three years later. I got by becasue I managed to get a credit card that I couldnt afford. Things add up quickly. I did what I did to march knowing that I was never going to march again. It sucks I can march my age out. Everyone ages out, but how many 20 year olds are on a board of directors for an alumni association that they founded.

Edited by dcf06

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he could have also been exaggerating for dramatic effect.

however i would like to know just how this is "not as bad as it seems"...yes corps have come back from deep financial debt, Phantom Regiment just did it within the last couple of years, but at the same time, you didn't have the state of IL Attorney General's office filing to remove the entire board of directors (yes they had their own problems to worry about). so i think it is as bad as it seems, and based on the information here we are correct in assuming they most likely will not be participating in DCI this year. yes they want to continue operations and do parades and other functions, go for it it's applaudable, but i doubt they will be in the Summer Music Games this summer.

upon dealing with similar, i know DCI watched other corps very closely and with a very short leash to make sure things were on the up and up before approval for membership and competition.

My son is marching with the Spartans this summer for the first time. He made Cadets hornline (trumpet), but wanted to march with two of his friends at Spartans. I was concerned with paying fees to a corps that people where less then dead certain about, so I've spent the past month talking to people. Here's what I learned.

The state removed the board of directors in acordence with the wishes of the executive director (Mr. Laflamme). The state of NH is now taking care of things, and the corps has been guaranteed protection. This is one of the few times I've ever seen a state get on the side of the non profit with the sole objective of making sure it survives, but thats the way the states lawyer presented it to me when I sent him an e-mail.

Most of the corps equipment (horns, drums, uniforms) are completely paid for, and owned by a 3rd party, so they can't be taken away by creditors or anyone else, so the corps will have all the equipment they need.

Another reason why I know they are marching is that Tom Angust is on staff, showing up to camps and teaching. You guys who know Tom know that he doesn't get involved in iffy buisness.

The Spartans will be marching this summer, as a competing DCI Open Class corps. When they start learning drill I'll be sure to let you all know where my son is opening set so that you can watch him at shows :tongue:

(I'm actually on his DCP account, hope you don't mind Tim)

What does that mean, "the equipment is paid for and owned by a third party"? Is that like hiding assets?

Smells fishy to me.

My son is marching with the Spartans this summer for the first time. He made Cadets hornline (trumpet), but wanted to march with two of his friends at Spartans. I was concerned with paying fees to a corps that people where less then dead certain about, so I've spent the past month talking to people. Here's what I learned.

The state removed the board of directors in acordence with the wishes of the executive director (Mr. Laflamme). The state of NH is now taking care of things, and the corps has been guaranteed protection. This is one of the few times I've ever seen a state get on the side of the non profit with the sole objective of making sure it survives, but thats the way the states lawyer presented it to me when I sent him an e-mail.

Most of the corps equipment (horns, drums, uniforms) are completely paid for, and owned by a 3rd party, so they can't be taken away by creditors or anyone else, so the corps will have all the equipment they need.

Another reason why I know they are marching is that Tom Angust is on staff, showing up to camps and teaching. You guys who know Tom know that he doesn't get involved in iffy buisness.

The Spartans will be marching this summer, as a competing DCI Open Class corps. When they start learning drill I'll be sure to let you all know where my son is opening set so that you can watch him at shows :tongue:

(I'm actually on his DCP account, hope you don't mind Tim)

It just means that if the corps ever does liquidate, which none of the concerned parties are trying to make happen now, the equipment wouldn't be part of it, the corps would still have it for use. Thats what the state said

It's such a breath of fresh air hearing good news about the Spartans. Once the whole bankruptcy business is sorted out, their next biggest concern is filling up that hornline! :tongue:

<responding to DrumLineDude08s first post - too long to quote>

When did this happen and what is meant by "protection"? No where in your response does it show that the corps will be allowed to field anytime soon. It may mean that the organization will be allowed to exist but need to hear details on how that will be done.

And the other big question is, how does this involved ExDir LaFlamme. To me it sounded like some of the BoD members wanted more financial oversight but were overruled. Now is the person who couldn't afford a CPA to audit the books (from Jan 10 Telegraph article) still involved in over seeing the organization. I see the board is dissolved, what about the ExDir?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Why does anyone need details of whats going on? And how are there any questions? Who involved with the corps is saying anything about the possibility of them not marching? They are shown on DCI.org to be preforming in several shows. http://www.dci.org/schedule/?mode=corps&am...91-1385ff46012c . The articles say that there is a family divide, how can anyone outside of the family ever expect to really understand what went on with that and the board (which had a ton of family members on it)? So why bother asking about their personal buisness? The only thing that matters is how it affects the kids, and obviously there are kids in the corps, who are excited about it, they have a staff that most world class corps would kill for (just look at the bios on the website). Why would all these people be coming if they weren't marching?

As long as the kids, the parents, and the staff know whats going on, and there's no reason to think they don't, then how is it anyone elses buisness?

Why does anyone need details of whats going on? And how are there any questions? Who involved with the corps is saying anything about the possibility of them not marching? They are shown on DCI.org to be preforming in several shows. http://www.dci.org/schedule/?mode=corps&am...91-1385ff46012c . The articles say that there is a family divide, how can anyone outside of the family ever expect to really understand what went on with that and the board (which had a ton of family members on it)? So why bother asking about their personal buisness? The only thing that matters is how it affects the kids, and obviously there are kids in the corps, who are excited about it, they have a staff that most world class corps would kill for (just look at the bios on the website). Why would all these people be coming if they weren't marching?

As long as the kids, the parents, and the staff know whats going on, and there's no reason to think they don't, then how is it anyone elses buisness?

No 501( c)(3) entities are "personal businesses". Most 501( c)(3)s are considered public charities and therefore their business is public business. The one exception are 501( c)(3)s organized as "private foundations" which the Spartans are definately not. From the IRS website:

The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of a section 501( c)(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

The attitude that it is personal business and not anyone else's business is usually a large factor in these organizations ending up in this situation. It certainly would be the business of anyone who is considering donating money to the organization.

Why does anyone need details of whats going on? And how are there any questions? Who involved with the corps is saying anything about the possibility of them not marching? The articles say that there is a family divide, how can anyone outside of the family ever expect to really understand what went on with that and the board (which had a ton of family members on it)? So why bother asking about their personal buisness? The only thing that matters is how it affects the kids, and obviously there are kids in the corps, who are excited about it, they have a staff that most world class corps would kill for (just look at the bios on the website). Why would all these people be coming if they weren't marching?

Because if the corps is going bankrupt, where is my donation money going to? Why should I continue to support a corps with practices that are obviously not working financially? That's where it becomes PUBLIC business. This is a public operation, and the public that supports them is also entitled to information, otherwise we won't continue to support something that could be squandering our resources going to the corps.