Raiders Announce 2009 Program

DCI's all about innovation these days, the only course of action is to accept it.

"Innovation" can mean many things to many people. If the claim here is that the Raiders are breaking new ground, I'd have to say I disagree... they are "mimicking" what they perceive to be the kinds of programming selections that score points. Imitation is not innovation.

You can play Mary Had a Little Lamb and make it innovative. Innovation doesn't require you to play obscure concert band literature.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did the Raiders say this show was innovative?

I really wish dcp was for the kids. At one time we allowed our kids to post, because I thought it would ehance their drum corps experience. I was wrong. Many readers on dcp only look to bash or discredit the people pushing on our activity.

The staff was charged to create a show that was entertaining to the fans, appealing & educational for the kids, and competitive. I feel we accomplished this goal. The music is not innovative, but we feel the concept is different and interesting. When the kids heard the originals at the open house along with the concept they loved it. We have been fortunate to have a great turn out of new members and retention of vets for our 19th season. The 3 camps this winter has seen the largest turn out in the corps history.

Entertainment is subjective. I find Candide and Maleguana both very entertaining. But that is my opinion. Please enjoy the show this summer, clap for our kids...i know their hearts and minds will be committed to their performance.

I know I should not respond, but there are too many good people in our activity to let trolls bash the hard work everyone puts into their own programs.

Also, thanks for the $20 donation Mr. Mayor, maybe Ronald and Grimus will add $ and I will have Raider T-shirts for all.

:thumbs-up:

Isn't it "Grimace" as in Evil Grimace and not "Grimus" that rhymes with Primus who is an obscure rock band that tries too hard to innovative and fails to reach a wide audience?

Where did the Raiders say this show was innovative?

I really wish dcp was for the kids. At one time we allowed our kids to post, because I thought it would ehance their drum corps experience. I was wrong. Many readers on dcp only look to bash or discredit the people pushing on our activity.

The staff was charged to create a show that was entertaining to the fans, appealing & educational for the kids, and competitive. I feel we accomplished this goal. The music is not innovative, but we feel the concept is different and interesting. When the kids heard the originals at the open house along with the concept they loved it. We have been fortunate to have a great turn out of new members and retention of vets for our 19th season. The 3 camps this winter has seen the largest turn out in the corps history.

Entertainment is subjective. I find Candide and Maleguana both very entertaining. But that is my opinion. Please enjoy the show this summer, clap for our kids...i know their hearts and minds will be committed to their performance.

I know I should not respond, but there are too many good people in our activity to let trolls bash the hard work everyone puts into their own programs.

Also, thanks for the $20 donation Mr. Mayor, maybe Ronald and Grimus will add $ and I will have Raider T-shirts for all.

:thumbs-up:

With the exception of the West Side Story show, I don't remember the Raiders doing a show that would necessarily "appeal to the masses" when announced. The shows have, in my memory, been more classical oriented, sometimes to the point where I didn't know the tunes. But do you honestly think the people who do show up for the open class shows HAVEN'T been entertained by this corps? I competed against the Raiders for years. I always loved their shows. Even when show titles/selections are obscure, it doesn't mean the show is any less entertaining. Honestly, how many of you knew the music from Spartacus? You saw that Phantom was reusing a theme they once did and thought it was cool. This show concept MAKES COMPLETE SENSE, and the selections they have chosen are all amazing pieces. If the show is designed as we know the Raiders are capable of, it will be a pretty BA show.

with that being said, in the open class forum, we know how memberships can fluctuate. Even while saying "I mean no offense to the members of the raiders" you are still capable of putting a sour taste in the mouth of a kid who could have potentially marched. Please be respectful. I can see your point of view, but as the saying goes, "it's not what you say, it's how you say it". The Raiders will once again have a wonderful, competitive show this season, whether 20,000 people show up for finals or 0. It's your choice, but it's closed-mindedness that is going to forever cloud the activity. Give it a chance.

With the exception of the West Side Story show, I don't remember the Raiders doing a show that would necessarily "appeal to the masses" when announced.

Don't forget the Jesus Christ Superstar show from 2005, when they won Division III with no drum majors on the podium (DM had to leave tour a week or two before Finals).

All I know is this corps is consistant with thier music and shows. I'm sure many will agree last season, they would not even make the field and put out a decent show. But there they were again, in yet another finals show. They have had had more success than most corps in thier division over the years, what's it, 18-19 years now?. The kids are taught by a talented bunch of VOLUNTEER instructors and I have never heard of anyone not enjoying the time they have spent there.

This year the corps brought in one of the best brass instructors in the activity to work with the kids over the winter. Do you think Gino Cipriani would come and work with a small corps with a poorly selected show???? I'm not sure what the original post was trying to accomplish, but the bottom line is, these kids should learn a lot and have fun this year.

:tongue: Edited by tubajon89