DCP should crowdsource a drum corps!

Thought this would be a neat thread to resurrect. I'd be behind it!

To those whom it may concern, it would be of great courtesy if you refrained from posting about waffles :tongue:

It's often been said that a camel is a horse that was designed by committee. If we on DCP had our own Corps that's probably what it would look like. :tongue:

Edited by Piper

Or Johnny Cash's "one year at a time" Cadillac....

"... all three (headlights) would come on..."

I'm picturing the corps standing around while the staff argues about what should be done next.

It's been done successfully already with a British football club (roughly the equivalent of a minor league baseball team). The group, http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/ recruited over 30,000 members who all pay an annual subscription fee of 35 pounds each. A year in they bought a team for 600,000 pounds, and the online community owns and operates the club. The community itself has the role of general manager, and all club decisions are discussed in the online forums and voted on.

If enough DCP people and outsiders could be recruited to pay a small membership fee the community could select a staff, decide the corps names and colors, pick out uni's, and design the show. It may sound crazy but these Brits didn't just buy their team, they led it to a championship for the first time in history and are now trying to grow and move up in class so they can compete against the big boys. Exciting stuff! And they really run it as a community, every single decision that would normally be made by a general manager, from authorizing each months expenditures, to roster and staff decisions, to deciding on new marketing schemes is all made by the community. This is a successful and proven business model.

I have no interest in having a Drum Corps in the US run by upwards of 30,000 people. If some sport team run by a committee " of 30,000 people" works well in England, that fine. But my thoughts on this regarding having a DCI Drum Corps run by a committee of thousands would be :... " what starts in England, stays in England ".

Edited by BRASSO

Somehow, I predict a DCP-driven drum corps would place somewhere around dead last...

Drum Corps " by committee " ? a committee " of thousands " ? Are we serious ? In the US, " by committee ". it'd take 16 months to decide on the annual dues, let alone a selection of unis style.

Say what you will about the USA, but we're an independent lot. We don't work well " by committee ". Thats definately not us as Americans. We're not Europe, but God bless them over there. Lets not try to be like them, thats all.

The chances of a DCI Drum Corps organized and run by a collective committee getting off the ground has as much chance of working as Bill Parcells and 8 US millionaire friends starting an NFL football franchise in Liverpool. And I don't think we'll be seeing an NFL franchise setting up shop in England any time soon.

Edited by BRASSO

I like the idea. But realistically I don't thinkit would work. I mean,look at the cost of starting a corps. Membership dues for those of us online would have to be insanely high.

I like the idea. But realistically I don't thinkit would work. I mean,look at the cost of starting a corps. Membership dues for those of us online would have to be insanely high.

" I would never join a club ( committee ) that would allow someone like me to become a member. "

Woody Allen

Edited by BRASSO

I predict it would still beat Pioneer. They OWN last.

:thumbdown: Haters gonna hate. :thumbdown:

I prefer "The Armchair Crusaders", myself. :rolleyes:

Considering the bombs we throw and some of the attitudes around here, "The Royal Armchair Grenadiers" might be more fitting. :satisfied: