Has DCI been a success or failure?

Has DCI been a success or failure?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Has DCI been a success or failure?

• Success
    • Failure

Question for everyone here: How many of us watch soccer? pro, high school or kids group? And by that I mean how many of us watch soccer for the joy of watching soccer? Not just cause our son or daughter is in it? Not many here watch soccer. Even tho it is the single most popular sport in the world.

Think about it!

I do: lots of soccer (I'm actually watching the MLS opening game on ESPN2 right now). For whatever reason soccer has not caught on in the US. I think most people find it boring.

That being said, the size of the crowd in Seattle for their first game is said to be over 32,000. Not too shabby...

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

colleges know, but many college instructors frown on drum corps. so do many high school band directors not tied to BOA, TOB, USSBa etc...even some within those circuits do.

You'll never get 100% buy-in, no matter how much marketing is done. There are some who don't like jazz bands...some who don't like musicals...some who don't care for concert band...etc...

They reach out to the Hopkins run circuit in the east coast as well. Those would be the two major circuits. And I saw mistakes in this arena as well. It's not enough to set up a booth at the State HS Marching Band Championships. It's what many of you are saying....building relationships with these bands....offer them assistance...water coolers, percussion equipment, a trailer, staff, etc...give....then...potentially the relationship grows and you get from the relationships as well.

Too often it's a corps managment team wanting to pick off some of the band kids...jumping right to the last car of the train and not doing the necessary relationship building steps to seek mutually beneficial growth.

exactly. I dont expect DCI to have the resources to have booths at all of them anways due to so many having similar dates for their big shows.

but TOB, covers PA, NJ, DE, MD, WV part of VA and a touch of Ohio. a large area, overlapping a lot of USSBA and some smaller circuits that they could build some bridges with.

You'll never get 100% buy-in, no matter how much marketing is done. There are some who don't like jazz bands...some who don't like musicals...some who don't care for concert band...etc...

I never expected 100% buy in. but maybe some mutual respect

I never expected 100% buy in. but maybe some mutual respect

Oh, I think that ia happening on the whole, certainly a lot more than decades ago, as older directors retire and younger ones have taken their spots ("younger" being a relative term by now, of course! :lookaround: ). Of course, there are those who just plain hate marching/music in ANY of it's forms, and you'll never get them on board...for corps or MB.