The End to the Color Guard Controversy

Lisa

can i ask how you managed to get that all in under $50?? i'm really really curious.

just the basics for the new guard this year

shoes $10.00

pants $25.00

top $35.00

poles $24.00 (3 x $8 each)

flages $40.00 (3 $10, $20 & $10)

rifles $25.00

total: $159.00

toss in a saber and you are looking at an additional what? $50 - $75?

and that was from spending hours hunting out the best prices online and in stores for material and shoes

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Members today know what they know...they've never been exposed to "old stuff". I'll bet you $20.00 that if you took the 1980 DVD to your guard rehearsal, sat the members in front of the monitor and had them watch 27th Lancers (without giving YOUR opinion about what they were about to watch), they'd go absolutely wild and immediately want to try some of what they saw.

. . .

Marching drill on the floor while executing equipment work is what should be happening. Just drill, music and equipment work...that's all you need...that's all there should be.

. . .

With all of the money spent on props, tarps and costumes, plus practice equipment and warm-ups, footwear, etc., it's gotta be expensive to march in the guard, isn't it? Why should it be this way, when it doesn't NEED to be this way?

. . .

That's what *I'm* saying. And those are my words.

Point A. Like Lisa I have shown every single guard i ever taught a variety of videos. it is always my theory that you need to know where you can from in order to appreciate where you are today. and while the kids i have taught have asked me about various aspects of the older shows i can't think of one group in the last 10 years that looked at the video and said "we should do it THAT way this year."

Point B No, in my opinion that is not ALL that you need. that's like looking at a car today and saying, no, i dont' want the power windows or the anti-lock brakes or the air bags, and i'd only like the AM radio too. i like it better the old way. because in order to drive that is really all you need.

Point C Can you tell me what activity isn't expensive to be part of nowadays?? :whip: if purchase your instrument you can easily expect you'll be dropping anywhere from $500 on up to way over a grand. yes, taking dance costs money, so does being in a gymnastics class or taking music lessons or heck even being in the Boy Scouts (uniforms, camp, a winter uniform jacket for winter camp, a cooler, a tent and back pack, etc. etc.) you get my point. yes, all these other activities could manage to probably trim some fat off their expenses too, but in order to be competitive you do need to fork out some cash.

i'd love to see tour fees for any kid who would like to march corps become a figure that is easily affordable. but honestly, what is easily affordable in today's world?? :whip: i'm starting to hear some huge figures for senior corps dues nowadays too. they weren't like that when i first joined. and you got your bus fees included in that too. those days are gone. and all the wishing in the world isn't going to bring it back either.

Point B  No, in my opinion that is not ALL that you need.  that's like looking at a car today and saying, no, i dont' want the power windows or the anti-lock brakes or the air bags, and i'd only like the AM radio too.  i like it better the old way.  because in order to drive that is really all you need. 

Slightly off-topic here, but as far as driving goes, that IS all you need. :whip:

Now if you WANT power windows, ABS, etc., badly enough, you may think you "need" them, but to get down the road, you don't. Case in point is my 2002 pickup, which I bought specifically because it had a manual transmission, NO power windows, etc. And if I could have gotten it without the ABS on the rear wheels and the airbags, I would have. Works just as nicely as my car, which has power everything.

But then you have to keep in mind that I don't have cable TV or a dish either.....

I now return you to the color-guard topic, already in progress.... :whip:

okay, maybe that is fine for you and maybe you do want it that way. but the majority of people don't. that was my point. i know some older people who despise air conditioning (in any place, not just cars). but the majority of people if made to sit in an office without a/c nowadays on a 90 degree day will complain too.

Lisa

can i ask how you managed to get that all in under $50?? i'm really really curious.

just the basics for the new guard this year

shoes $10.00

pants $25.00

top $35.00

poles $24.00 (3 x $8 each)

flages $40.00 (3 $10, $20 & $10)

rifles $25.00

total: $159.00

toss in a saber and you are looking at an additional what? $50 - $75?

and that was from spending hours hunting out the best prices online and in stores for material and shoes

Well, that's assuming the guard already has the basic equipment (poles sabres rifles...etc).

Flags....lord knows there's enough guards around here to borrow from, material is pretty cheap, get a mom to volunteer to sew. Costumes, I usually go for the simple elegance. Something easy. Build off what they already have. NOTE: I do not ever like the "Rummage through your closet and see what you come up with" costumes. I hate that. Never do it. You know the mishmash, everyone's in something different, buy it at mervyns or kmart look. Nope. No thanks.

I've sought out donations, etc. I have never ever ever allowed a member to NOT march because of $$$. Which is why I bleed out my eyes to get donations/cheap materials/borrow flags and equip from other groups/use what the guard already has.

Now field guard...I usually spend the money there knowing that I can use it for winter guard also. So I'd say a typical field guard I teach, costs are usually around $100.

i don't know why, but around here borrowing flags from another school is like :whip:. they won't lend them out for anything. if you get a set, you are getting the set that is closets to rags. :( so since we were just starting up mid fall, we really didn't have alot of time or money to put into equipment purchases. for the winter we made some larger purchases such as a few sets of poles and enough material to make flags that will be usuable in the fall as well.

next question, is it just a northeast thing? or do you have the members buy their own rifles and sabres? it actually used to be that the school system bought them and held onto them after the season, but the last few years things have changed and you need to purchase them yourselves if you want to be on the weapons line.

[.

. Members today know what they know...they've never been exposed to "old stuff". I'll bet you $20.00 that if you took the 1980 DVD to your guard rehearsal, sat the members in front of the monitor and had them watch 27th Lancers (without giving YOUR opinion about what they were about to watch), they'd go absolutely wild and immediately want to try some of what they saw.

I kind of doubt that. I have videos from '76 on up and none of the kids who watch them here at my place "go wild or want to do that." They appreciate the history tho.

I don't even want to play a valve/rotary horn anymore. I'm perfectly happy with the new equipment I use now and WISH I'd had it in the '70's!

i don't know why, but around here borrowing flags from another school is like :whip:. they won't lend them out for anything. if you get a set, you are getting the set that is closets to rags. :( so since we were just starting up mid fall, we really didn't have alot of time or money to put into equipment purchases. for the winter we made some larger purchases such as a few sets of poles and enough material to make flags that will be usuable in the fall as well.

next question, is it just a northeast thing? or do you have the members buy their own rifles and sabres? it actually used to be that the school system bought them and held onto them after the season, but the last few years things have changed and you need to purchase them yourselves if you want to be on the weapons line.

I've always had the school purchase a really nice set of rifles and/or sabres. Those stay with the school and they are only used for performances. Then I have the kids purchase their own practice rifles or sabres. Obviously the same weight and length etc. But if they want to go a notch down in quality to save $$ that's fine.

As far as borrowing from other schools, I usually won't ask schools that compete against us, but if they aren't our competitors, I'll ask, and likewise will loan. We also have SCV and SCV cadets, San Jose State U, Raiders to borrow from. If you know the staff.

In California, it has always been very important that our cheerleaders and football team get brand new uniforms every year, as well as SCHOOL paid trips to florida for cheerleeding finals, etc. </extreme sarcasm> So we're pretty much used to the music programs getting 50 cents a year out of the school budget. It teaches you to stretch a buck.

Yes, it's amazing, isn't it?!

Heh heh heh.