The End to the Color Guard Controversy

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:whip:

But it's still not guard!

Todays work is not harder than work done "back in the day" Back in the day, you had to be clean, you ad to be in unison, you had to sell your show withy our talent...not your leaping, pirouetting and your expressions.....mind you, many of the dancing guards today do NOT execute or have unison.

To see these guards pick up and put down their equipment any which way they want with no regards to unison and clarity is proof that they dont paya ttention to detail......even in the "dance" arena" leaps all done any which way, flailing hands and arms, messy free hands.....laughable.

No, back in the day we worked on the little things to the point where they became second nature, then we went forward with the rest of the program.

You cant build a house on a shoddy foundation.

~G~

"in the day, you had to be clean, you ad to be in unison, you had to sell your show withy our talent...not your leaping, pirouetting and your expressions..."

I guess dancing and performing aren't "talent".

I was gonna end posting about this, as I think it's kind of silly. But I have changed my mind.

You people come on here acting like you know everything about colorguard, you try and say that the majority of people want colorguard to go back to what it was, etc etc.

Let's face the facts the majority of people @ WGI shows like guard as it is right now or else they wouldn't be there,cheering and giving standing O's to guards. How many of you went to WGI this year? Last year? 2001?

I *know* given the choice of wearing a "uniform" and standing and doing basics for a show that almost every guard member right now would choose modern colorguard. Cause guess what...we like what we do or else we wouldn't be giving up all of our free time to rehearse and we sure as heck wouldn't be spending our money on it.

If you really hate what we are doing out there, don't come and watch us. We want people who support WGI and DCI to come cheer us on ,not sit and moan about how much we suck.

1989: Phantom, Cadets

. . . .

yea..they are all basically the same, but they're still clean, precise, and VERY MUCH NEW SCHOOL.

. . . .

Where does the old school guards end and the new  Just one lesson to learn, I guess: GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!!

my 2 most favorite guard shows. i always show these shows to the guards i teach.

and that is what i said before give credit where it is due, which is something i find the "old-school" people refuse to do time and time again.

I consider both of thse shows to be "Old school" LOL

I hva a feeling we agree alot more than we think, we are just confusing each other !!

~G~

Todays work is not harder than work done "back in the day" Back in the day, you had to be clean, you ad to be in unison, you had to sell your show withy our talent...not your leaping, pirouetting and your expressions.....mind you, many of the dancing guards today do NOT execute or have unison.

To see these guards pick up and put down their equipment any which way they want with no regards to unison and clarity is proof that they dont paya ttention to detail......even in the "dance" arena" leaps all done any which way, flailing hands and arms, messy free hands.....laughable.

No, back in the day we worked on the little things to the point where they became second nature, then we went forward with the rest of the program.

~G~

"in the day, you had to be clean, you ad to be in unison, you had to sell your show withy our talent...not your leaping, pirouetting and your expressions..."

I was gonna end posting about this, as I think it's kind of silly. But I have changed my mind.

You people come on here acting like you know everything about colorguard, you try and say that the majority of people want colorguard to go back to what it was, etc etc.

Let's face the facts the majority of people @ WGI shows like guard as it is right now or else they wouldn't be there,cheering and giving standing O's to guards. How many of you went to WGI this year? Last year? 2001?

I *know* given the choice of wearing a "uniform" and standing and doing basics for a show that almost every guard member right now would choose modern colorguard. Cause guess what...we like what we do or else we wouldn't be giving up all of our free time to rehearse and we sure as heck wouldn't be spending our money on it.

If you really hate what we are doing out there, don't come and watch us. We want people who support WGI and DCI to come cheer us on ,not sit and moan about how much we suck.

You know, passing a galon of maple syrup through ones ### while reciting Poes' "The Raven" might be considered talent also, but that doesnt make it colorguard.

Chill hon, your opinion is just as valid as mine and the next guys.

And, so you know, there really isnt a "hardcore" WGI audience...sure theres some of us that aged out and still support it, but it's mainly group of current performers, recent age outs and parents/family that make up the general audience.

Oh, and...I dont see where anyone said going back to doing a block of basics, your sophmoric sarcasm is lost on me......can you find it and post it ??

Thanks

~G~

~G~

You know, passing a galon of maple syrup through ones ### while reciting Poes' "The Raven" might be considered talent also, but that doesnt make it colorguard.

Chill hon, your opinion is just as valid as mine and the next guys.

And, so you know, there really isnt a "hardcore" WGI audience...sure theres some of us that aged out and still support it, but it's mainly group of current performers, recent age outs and parents/family that make up the general audience.

Oh, and...I dont see where anyone said going back to doing a block of basics, your sophmoric sarcasm is lost on me......can you find it and post it ??

Thanks

~G~

Hmm... I think I am done with all this.

I have better things to do then sit here and argue about this anymore. I *love* guard. I *love* to spin,because yes wether anyone wants to admit it or not we do spin. I have never danced for more than 30 seconds in a show.

So anyways off to spin in the yard for awhile.

* Good Luck to everyone performing this summer! Get it! *

Thanks

~G~

that's.......pretty much what old school work was G~

And you have to understand her sarcasm. I have never ever heard a kid look at old school drum corps and say "Chh.... that's not drum corps". I wish I could say the same aobut old school. It get's a bit frustrating and dissapointing knowing there's a crowd of bitter old trolls that do NOTHING but come to drum corps shows and knock what the kids are doing from top to bottom. I'd be a little sarcastic too if I left my heart and soul on the field only to come to DCP and RAMD and here what get's thrown around.

Thanks

~G~

that's.......pretty much what old school work was G~

And you have to understand her sarcasm. I have never ever heard a kid look at old school drum corps and say "Chh.... that's not drum corps". I wish I could say the same aobut old school. It get's a bit frustrating and dissapointing knowing there's a crowd of bitter old trolls that do NOTHING but come to drum corps shows and knock what the kids are doing from top to bottom. I'd be a little sarcastic too if I left my heart and soul on the field only to come to DCP and RAMD and here what get's thrown around.

God Bless you. I couldn't have said that any better myself.

:)

I'm a horn player and I probably should stay out of this but I marched in the RA last year. I know a lot of junior corps kids thru my son and the high schools I've been around. They enjoyed watching the RA perform last summer but NOT one of them, guard, horn players or drummers wanted to do what I was doing. The fact is, they enjoy doing what THEY'RE doing and I think it is unfair to try to force MY drum corps down their throats. As much as I would be offended if someone had tried in 1978 to say, You have to do it like we did in the fifties.